Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #71
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
First, I applaud the length and effort that you are putting forth My first area I'd like to focus on is the Roof line. For some reason, it gives off a resemblance to our rival. The next area is at the base of the C-pillar that meets the door and the hood. I think I've seen something similar on an exotic, not sure if a Lambo or Ferrari. I understand that you are trying to increase front visibility, but that area looks off from your 2D drawings. How about rounding out that area of the hood that drops into the door.

Yes there's a touch of Ferrari, Lambo and Maserati in there. I think that's a good thing myself. I'm still working on that area; it's extremely difficult to get the polygon mesh to do what I want it to do.

If you are to scale with the ATS architecture, the car looks a little wider than the 5th gen from the rear view. To lessen the appearance, maybe widen the top cabin to offset it.

It is a few inches wider, but it's also designed to look wide. I want it to have a fighter jet look-and-feel instead of a sedan.

And like someone mentioned, the back of the Camaro resembles the C6 Corvette, which you stated is not a bad thing, but... if the Camaro team will do something to the Camaro for the 6th gen similar to what the Corvette team did for the C7, I think it will be a more evolutionary change from the 5th gen. I think the lines at the outer corners need to be softened.

The rear license plate area should envelope the entire plate IMO.

The back has been improved and I'm going to redo the entire rear license plate area. I've figured out how to make it look like the 2D drawing; just need time to do it.

After reviewing your current dimensions, it looks that the car will come in at weight greater then the current Gen. I'm sure you'll work on making the necessary changes to meet the standards of what everyone on here would like to see the car come in around 3500 to 3600 lbs.
The weight is dependent on the alpha platform of which I have no idea the weight. The weight isn't based on body dimension as much as what's underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Doc, I know I busted your balls many moons ago with your first design, but I'm like where you're going. I saw one poster above say about it looking like an 04 Monte. I could see that on your first couple of side pics, but I no longer feel that way.

Nice job. I could never put that much time into something that will never come to life. Interesting to see just the same.
Thank you motorhead.

Here's the latest snapshots. Side mirrors are on, and they work by the way. I can adjust the mirror inside the housing. I positioned them there to keep them out of the way for your forward vision, and they are still fully visible to the driver due to the lowered front window sills. I'll take a couple of snapshots later with a "driver" cam I've put inside that shows the driver's view looking out of the car.

I added the rear brake cooling duct on the side, the back up lights, the CAMARO on the back and doing general tweaks to body panel geometry as I go. Once I get the lower diffuser and exhaust pipes on the back it will look pretty good I think.

Name:  2016 Camaro 3Q mirror1.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro 3Q mirror2.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro frontH.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  48.7 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro backH.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro sideH.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  51.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #72
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Man you need your own show...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Looking good Doc! I can't wait to see the final rendering and the 3D model! I really like the front and back views!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #74
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Looking good Doc! Keep up the good work
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #75
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
A couple of quick snapshots of the back with the lights on. I also blacked out the recess and added the rear wheel well.
Attachment 562310
Attachment 562311

...waiting for the "IT LOOKS LIKE A DODGE" comments.
Batmobile
Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #76
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Man you need your own show...
lol like... Doc's Garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Looking good Doc! I can't wait to see the final rendering and the 3D model! I really like the front and back views!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Looking good Doc! Keep up the good work
Thank you thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Batmobile
Groovy.

Well it's beginning to feel like I'm heading into the home stretch. At least on the outside. Right now it's basically fix the rear license plate recess, add door handles, shark fin, windshield wipers and details at the base of the windshield, and of course wheels. I'm also going to need to put together some kind of differential and rear suspension stuff so I can take snapshots from the back and have it look respectable. I'll also do some work on the coke bottle waist section and some kind of wheel flairs for the top of the wheel wells.

Then it's onto some kind of interior.

It's starting to look pretty cool though... considering what it looked like when I made the first polygon dot.

And speaking of starting, I'm starting to feel like the Moreno Brothers... I remember Nathan wanting to just "clean up the engine compartment" by moving a few hoses.... and now here I am with this lol.... I started by thinking I was just going to give some positive feedback to the Camaro design team after the reaction (mine included) to the back of the 2014 refresh. But it's all good; I'm really enjoying this project and learning a ton in the process.

Name:  2016 Camaro 3Qi.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  2016 Camaro 3Qi2.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  87.0 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #77
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just a couple suggestions, since you have a more rectangular/trapizoidial theme going on with the back I think that rectangular exhaust outlets located in the diffuser would look better than 4 round ones. Also the side marker light should be lower.

One thing that looks out of place on the nice rounded curves of the side is the boxy rear brake scoop. Maybe two smaller ones stacked on top of each other and staggered slightly would flow better.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #78
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Front and rear are looking killer!

If I had to make a suggestion on the rear, it would be that the diffusor either comes down low enough to be on either side of the exhaust tips (like in the rending on page 1) , or completely surround them like the 5th gen does. Maybe its just the angle of your rear shot above, but it looks like the diffusor ends slightly above the tip, and is a straight line across basically. I think the diffusor coming down and surrounding the tips gives room to add more character to the rear end.

As said before, the front and rear are killer, but something about the side view is not doing it for me. I think part of it is the fact that the sides of the car (beltline and lower) stick out so much further than the top half of the car (the "bubble"). I feel like the top needs to be widened a bit more which could end up doing two things... 1) increase interior space assuming the width of the car isn't changed...or 2) decrease the width of the car since the sides will be going in further to line up better with the top half "bubble".

Don't get me wrong...I like that the beltline sticks out somewhat from the top...its a great trait, but this may be a bit much.

I'm not sure if the vents on the side work well either since rest is so shapely curved, but the side definitely needs something there to spice it up so a vent is a good start.

as always...fantastic work.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #79
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Just a couple suggestions, since you have a more rectangular/trapizoidial theme going on with the back I think that rectangular exhaust outlets located in the diffuser would look better than 4 round ones. Also the side marker light should be lower.

One thing that looks out of place on the nice rounded curves of the side is the boxy rear brake scoop. Maybe two smaller ones stacked on top of each other and staggered slightly would flow better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Front and rear are looking killer!

If I had to make a suggestion on the rear, it would be that the diffusor either comes down low enough to be on either side of the exhaust tips (like in the rending on page 1) , or completely surround them like the 5th gen does. Maybe its just the angle of your rear shot above, but it looks like the diffusor ends slightly above the tip, and is a straight line across basically. I think the diffusor coming down and surrounding the tips gives room to add more character to the rear end.

As said before, the front and rear are killer, but something about the side view is not doing it for me. I think part of it is the fact that the sides of the car (beltline and lower) stick out so much further than the top half of the car (the "bubble"). I feel like the top needs to be widened a bit more which could end up doing two things... 1) increase interior space assuming the width of the car isn't changed...or 2) decrease the width of the car since the sides will be going in further to line up better with the top half "bubble".

Don't get me wrong...I like that the beltline sticks out somewhat from the top...its a great trait, but this may be a bit much.

I'm not sure if the vents on the side work well either since rest is so shapely curved, but the side definitely needs something there to spice it up so a vent is a good start.

as always...fantastic work.
Good feed back guys. I may "flatten" the sides between the wheels a bit so it looks more like the side area back of the rear wheel. I'm also going to pull the "pinch" of the coke bottle inward to have more of an effect at that area.

I'm starting to get all the little pieces in place so I can move into the tweaking phase of the side; the front and back are pretty close to finished. I do in fact intend to do more with the rear diffuser; just stuck something there to start with so the exhaust pipes weren't just hanging in space.

Here's a couple of quick snapshots showing the V6 back. I've also added the roof mullet, shark fin and CAMARO lettering on the sides.

Name:  2016 Camaro V6 back 3Q.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  2016 Camaro V6 back sideV.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  48.0 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #80
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

It now has its proper wheels! I also discovered something interesting. The software I use has a smoothing process called Phong Shading which smooths out the angles between the polygon points on a surface. By default it smooths every angle up to 90°. There's an option to change that angle range which can have a dramatic effect on the lines and edges of your object. Here's a couple of snapshots that show the Phong angle reduced so it allows more sharp edges to show. This makes everything look crisp and sharp, but the downside is it also doesn't cover up any "issues" so you see EVERY spot on your mesh where the point geometry is slightly off. This of course requires lots of small adjustments to fix the mesh but once you do the results are impressive.

In these two images you can see how much more defined the edges are on the back of the car.

Name:  2016 Camaro r3Q wheels.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  107.5 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro rear wheels.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  51.9 KB

The rear fenders stick out too far so I'm going to have to pull those in, which is not going to be a quick or easy process but it needs to be done.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #81
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
As you refine your skills, the car continues to improve. Now get to work and suck in those fenders!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #82
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #83
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
As you refine your skills, the car continues to improve. Now get to work and suck in those fenders!
lol okay.... after much sucking-in-of-fenders, here's the latest. The sides have been completely reworked and I mean completely. I pulled them in quite a bit and made them straighter. I haven't decided on what I'm going to do for the rear intakes on the side so they're not there in these shots, but so far I think this was definitely the right thing to do.

Name:  2016 Camaro r3Q Revised.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  86.4 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro r3Qa Revised.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  99.8 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #84
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Nice.

With those smooth sides why not try a Try a NACA duct.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote