Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #29
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I'm guessing 3700-3800 for the SS.
I'd consider that a bigger mass 'fail' than what happened with Mustang.

Last edited by Z/284ever; 11-15-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #30
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I'm not sure how some are expecting 3500.. You guys do know that a base Vette weighs right under 3300, right?
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Even 3,600 pounds in the ATS-V likely has some expensive premium materials. I.e CF hood.

If we are talking SS......

3,500 pounds would require significant use of premium materials, for example aluminium, magnesium and CF. This SS would cost many more Benjamins to procure.

3,600 pounds would require moderate material choices, good engineering (already in the Cadillac BTW) and pricing could be managed with other improvements.

3,750 pounds would be like falling out of the proverbial turnip truck. That should happen simply by downsizing the car and using the smaller platform.

As pointed out, the engine, transmission, brakes, wheels, rear axle and drive shaft are all pretty standard weight stuff. Unless you go CF on the driveshaft and CC on the brake rotors (see high cost option above) those aren't going to be any lighter.

And for those that continue to claim that the luxury items in the Cadillac add significant weight, that is mostly electronics. Somebody name a luxury item in a ATS that adds significant weight. I can't think of one. A base ATS is pretty Spartan. No NAV, FCA, LDW, SOD, no fold down rear seat, no leather, no sunroof.

So no one should be thinking less than an equivalent ATS unless you are also willing to pay for the premium materials.

When I worked on the C6 Z06, my team did the aluminum frame and CF. We saved 165 pounds. This was immediately offset by the mammoth brakes, wider wheels and tires and dry sump oiling system.

I have high hopes this car will be awesome, but as I've said all along, an LT1, 8 speed automatic/7 speed manual at anywhere near 3,700 pounds will be pure awesome. That is today's SS and removing 200 pounds and adding 30 HP. I'm good with that.

But I still go back to this. Driving Mrs. Number 3's ATS.............................it is a very small car. It is the size of a Cruze. Number 3 does NOT want a tiny Camaro to get weight out. But that is JMO. So going from my SS to her ATS is a HUGE jump in size.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #32
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
I do want a tiny camaro without power windows seats AC etc..
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #33
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
So maybe a moderator could offer a T-Shirt for the person with the closest weight guess? The moderator would have to spec the configuration.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
I do want a tiny camaro without power windows seats AC etc..
I think you would be in the extreme minority.

You likely won't see manual windows ever again in a car simply because they don't weigh that much less and it adds manufacturing complexity. I think even the Sonic and Spark have power windows. And it's why the Z/28 has them.

The Camaro needs to be a car of substance. If I wanted a Toyota FR-S competitor then I wouldn't be on this site.

But since we don't know much more than Alpha, there is a lot of unknowns on the size of the car.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I think you would be in the extreme minority.

You likely won't see manual windows ever again in a car simply because they don't weigh that much less and it adds manufacturing complexity. I think even the Sonic and Spark have power windows. And it's why the Z/28 has them.

The Camaro needs to be a car of substance. If I wanted a Toyota FR-S competitor then I wouldn't be on this site.

But since we don't know much more than Alpha, there is a lot of unknowns on the size of the car.
I see what you mean about the power windows.

I'll keep my hopes up for a 3600-3700 V8 manual RWD product
Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I have high hopes this car will be awesome, but as I've said all along, an LT1, 8 speed automatic/7 speed manual at anywhere near 3,700 pounds will be pure awesome. That is today's SS and removing 200 pounds and adding 30 HP. I'm good with that.

But I still go back to this. Driving Mrs. Number 3's ATS.............................it is a very small car. It is the size of a Cruze. Number 3 does NOT want a tiny Camaro to get weight out. But that is JMO. So going from my SS to her ATS is a HUGE jump in size.
I agree about the weight and would also expect it to weigh around 3,700-lbs. the ATS is a small car. I sat it one and thought it was nice, but smallish interior.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #37
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
I read in "Car and Track Trend" that the ATS-V was very aluminum intensive.

It seems reasonable that the Camaro will use less aluminum for cost reasons.

I expect GM will be satisfied to have the CA6 come in slightly lighter in weight than the new Mustang, with a little more power too.

That'll do for me.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #38
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
There were alot of these types of weight threads over on the Corvette forum prior to the C7 release. In the end, the C7 came in very close to, but a tad heavier than the outgoing base C6. Many were outraged, lol.

I would expect the same here. However, I believe that it will come with more power, stiffer chassis, better handling, and better everything else.

As with the Corvette, they will put some technologies in that will add some weight in some areas, then use other technologies to compensate for that weight gain. In the end, what we will end up with is a car that will weigh roughly the same. But the whole package of the car will accelerate faster, brake faster, turn faster, ride better, use less fuel, look better, feel better.

So I say the high performance SS will weigh in about 30-60lbs heavier, but will the best Camaro ever in terms of performance. I think the C7 Corvette release is the precedent to go by with this car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #39
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I believe that the 6th gen will be slightly lighter but not by much. I agree with MrChris for the most part but GM did promise a lighter 6th gen but I don't think by much, maybe 50-100 lbs if that!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #40
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I don't think the Corvette gaining weight is a good comparison and reasoning to think the 2016 Camaro will gain weight. We all know the Corvette was light as it was already and we know the Camaro is a bit heavy. There really isn't much the Camaro is missing that it'll get that should add substantial weight.

I'm going to go with a 400 pound difference between base Vette and SS Camaro which should put it around 3,700.. That's me pulling numbers out of my ass like everyone else, but makes sense to me!
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #41
Autonaut

A camaro heavier than the existing model would kill my interest in the car. Using a smaller platform carrying an ATS 3.6 v6 awd at 3700lbs, and a ATS-V with a twinturbo 460hp v6 at 3700-3800 lbs should easily let a base SS camaro at the same weight.

A Caddilac ATS-V has to be better optioned. Possibly better sound insulated. Adding twin turbos to get 460hp requires seriously upgraded cooling, lots of piping, intercooler(s) and possibly more.

I dont care if the new camaro will get better handling or driveability if it weighs more than the existing camaro. Taxation based on fuel economy and/or weight would make it not interesting.

Time will tell.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

I do t see how it weighs the same as today simply for going to a smaller architecture. But I think the ATS-V now reported to be 3700 pounds makes a Camaro lighter than that seem pretty unlikely,