Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
Advice for Driving in Snow?

Today was my first day taking the Camaro out in snow. This is my first Camaro and also my DD. I recently got lucky and found a used set of Scorpions on CL so I am currently running on those. I had no problems in 3-4 inches today with careful driving. I am wondering if anybody else is driving their car in snow and could give me some advice. I have a friend who drives a Mustang GT and he keeps sand bags in his car for more traction but he is also running on all season tires. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
My best advice is take the bus. joking
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I drove mine through two winters and I never had any issues after I put on winter tires. I used to put weight in the trunk of a 71 Cutlass I used to have because it was beyond awful in the snow, but I never felt the need to put any weight in the Camaro. All that is needed is good tires and good judgement and it sounds like you already have both.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
And keep a shovel with salt just in case.. These are great cars 2 winters no issues
Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Drive smoothly.
No abrupt starting or stopping.
Allow extra room and plan ahead.
Try not to get stopped on a hill.
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
First time this morning for me in the snow with my Camaro. No issues besides everyone else was holding me up but I did not mind. Just take it slow, leave space, and if you need it put some weight in the trunk for a little more traction. Keeping a shovel is a good idea as well. I had one and it saved a coworker in his BMW this morning.

Snow tires are the best thing to get. Saw a Mercedes start fish tailing down a hill in front of me. Scary to watch that unfold.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Traction control is your friend, MOST of the time. If you do happen to get into a jam, you can turn the traction control off, in order to spin the tires and "burn" down to clear out a patch of pavement. If you can clear a few feet of pavement off, use that as a "launch pad," in order to resume forward momentum.... once moving, turn traction control back on.

Traction control (whether automatic, as in modern vehicles, or with mad driver skills!) is the magic behind good snow driving... lots of people just mash the accelerator pedal to the floor (even with chains or cables installed.... comedy gold!), but ANY loss of traction (like that of spinning tires) will reduce the ability to control motion: forward, backwards, side to side, or even for stopping. A gentle touch on the accelerator, so that your tires are moving at a speed that does not break any traction will give you maximum possible control and movement.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Oh, and practice in a parking lot: Find one with some snow or ice on it, and enjoy the hell out of rear wheel drive. Turn the traction control off for the most fun, but use the parking lot as a laboratory to learn exactly how to handle the thing under slippery conditions. Sometimes, while having that fun, you'll even get an audience... who doesn't get a kick out of watching a Camaro driving sideways, powersliding, spinning slow motion donuts, and generally having more fun than is legal in most states?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
gMcizzLe

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Snow tires are essential. Saw 2-3 camaros on the side of the highway this morning, most likely still running on oem PZeros. And this is with only an inch or two of snow.

Mods:
CAI Inc. CAI
Elite Engineering Catch Can
gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMcizzLe View Post
Snow tires are essential. Saw 2-3 camaros on the side of the highway this morning, most likely still running on oem PZeros. And this is with only an inch or two of snow.
That's the truth. I honestly can't believe dealers let people drive off the lot in winter on the P zero tires. I think it's odd that they want to castrate our key fobs because they are so dangerous, but turning you loose on snowy roads on P Zerotraction tires is apparently not an issue.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Good set of snow tires (check).
Sand bags or weight in trunk for more traction for sure.
Since Camaro has a lot of rear end torque, I recommend starting on second gear from a stop so that you do not spin out.
No quick corners/stopping/accelerating/aggressive maneuvering (snow tires stop very well in straight lines).
Keep shovel in trunk, even with the best snow tires, the clearance on the Camaro is very small so even a small pile of snow in front of you in a parking spot and the bumper becomes a snow plow.
Also be sure to take the car to a parking lot to test its limits as far as traction goes so you can understand how it will operate.

I run 4 Goodyear WRTs with 120lb of sand in the trunk and drive my Camaro in Upstate NY snow and ice and have been doing great so far. The only problem I run into is icy hills, so avoid those if possible.

I hope this helps OP!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Snow tires if you live in an area with constant snow cover or good all-seasons if you only see sporadic bouts. Give yourself plenty of room to maneuver, start and stop. No sudden changes in throttle, braking or steering. Point your wheels the direction you want to go if you lose the rear. Be aware not only of what you are doing but also what the drivers around you are doing. Always try to stay moving on an incline. Even 1 or 2 mph may keep you from sinking in and getting stuck.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
YEAH I GOT SOME ADVICE FOR DRIVING IN SNOW- DONT
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
If you want some real practice come up here. We have the lake effect snow which is the large wet flakes.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote