#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dash Cam Suggestions

Hey all, I am looking for a decent dash cam. I've been researching a bit and I see features that may or may not be useful. It's getting hard to sift through all the crap.

I've seen the new Magellan 6230, the Cobra CDR 830, Garmin Dash Cam 20, Papago P3....

I want a cam that hopefully has GPS capability to overlay the speed if I want, or have the option to turn that off. I also want one that is fairly compact and doesn't have a huge mount. I plan to mount this either directly under/behind the rear view or in the lower left or right corner of the windshield.

If anyone has any of these cameras or a different one that you would recommend, just let me know!

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
If you want one that automatically turns on and off with your car when you record. Don't get the GOPro. If other wise get the GoPro.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
I've got a BlackVue that I have been VERY happy with.
http://www.blackvue.co.kr/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=16

Video is outstanding, night and day. GPS position tracking, so you can see on the overlayed map exactly where you were when a certain portion of video was taken.

WiFi, so if you want to view footage on your phone or tablet, you don't even need to pull the SD card (though you still can, if you want to stuff it into your Mac/PC for easier and faster viewing).

Unit has voice guidance, so when it's doing something ("parking mode disabled" for example) it just tells you - no trying to remember blinky lights etc.

I tucked it in behind my mirror (well, I guess in front of really!) so I don't even see it when I'm driving. Cable is tucked under the headliner, scooted behind the drivers side pillar, then tied onto the fuse panel behind the cover. Don't cut off the lighter plug!! It's a 12->5V step down.
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
If you want one that automatically turns on and off with your car when you record. Don't get the GOPro. If other wise get the GoPro.
I did just purchase a GoPro, however it isn't to be used as a dash cam, it is for my mtn biking and drag racing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Out View Post
I've got a BlackVue that I have been VERY happy with.
http://www.blackvue.co.kr/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=16

Video is outstanding, night and day. GPS position tracking, so you can see on the overlayed map exactly where you were when a certain portion of video was taken.

WiFi, so if you want to view footage on your phone or tablet, you don't even need to pull the SD card (though you still can, if you want to stuff it into your Mac/PC for easier and faster viewing).

Unit has voice guidance, so when it's doing something ("parking mode disabled" for example) it just tells you - no trying to remember blinky lights etc.

I tucked it in behind my mirror (well, I guess in front of really!) so I don't even see it when I'm driving. Cable is tucked under the headliner, scooted behind the drivers side pillar, then tied onto the fuse panel behind the cover. Don't cut off the lighter plug!! It's a 12->5V step down.
Looks like a pretty good unit and small as well. I don't understand the hard wire deal you just referred to, but I do want to hard wire mine. Did you TTap the wires or something else? And I didn't see it on there, does this cam have speed overlay as well?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
I burn every package of those TTaps I see.
Sure they're convenient, but they've ruined more things than I can remember (yes, I do a lot of electrical work!).

You can get little "hooks" that go under a fuse, and give you a 1/4" (normal) male blade.

You can then just stick a female spade crimp connector over it. Take it out, and it's as if it was never there.

Since I try to do no damage when I install - I took an inline 'lighter socket' and inserted the BlackVue adapter into it.

Then wired the socket onto the fuse adapter, and used a nearby mounting bolt as the ground. Zap strapped everything tight so there were no rattles.
It's been installed for close to 6 months now, and "just works".

These connectors are from Pico.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black-Out; 04-27-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Fix images
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Ok I see how you worked it. That's great, I didn't know they made those adapters!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

So I haven't purchased a dash cam yet as I haven't found one that I am 100% sold on, but I found one that I like and seems to have pretty good features.

It is the DOD LS430W...Has anyone happened to use one of these?

Link

Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Here is another one. Just found it doing a search. http://shop.komando.com/the-komando-dual-lens-dash-cam

I'm also looking at getting a dash cam. A friend of mine had one in his wife's care and she was in an head on accident and it showed 100% it was the other drivers fault. Luckily she was not seriously hurt.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Vicovation make some good but pricey stuff... I've been using the TF2 for a couple years now. No speed but I don't need it. Don't know if they have GPS models or not.

Video taken about 30 minutes before sunrise...

Daytime video...