Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
Plastic dip/Power coat/Professionally paint wheels.

Which of the three should i do to my ss wheels. I want them black. Which one do you think would be best looking? Thanks
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Easily, the professionally painting the wheels is the best choice. I had plastidip on my LT wheels and it was a NIGHTMARE! It's good to get a feel for what it might look like but if you already know that's the look you're going for, definitely get them painted. If you're handy with spray paint, you don't even need to pay to get them professionally painted. A buddy and I decided to recently just spray paint my wheels satin black. We used vht satin black wheel paint with satin clear coat and they came out great! Prefer it A LOT more than plastidip. Not to mention plastidip is such a pain to clean while the paint is a breeze.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Easily, the professionally painting the wheels is the best choice. I had plastidip on my LT wheels and it was a NIGHTMARE! It's good to get a feel for what it might look like but if you already know that's the look you're going for, definitely get them painted. If you're handy with spray paint, you don't even need to pay to get them professionally painted. A buddy and I decided to recently just spray paint my wheels satin black. We used vht satin black wheel paint with satin clear coat and they came out great! Prefer it A LOT more than plastidip. Not to mention plastidip is such a pain to clean while the paint is a breeze.
I sir say false to you! Honestly plastidip is great, easy to paint easy to clean, simple green sprayed on plasti dip takes brake dust right off just like that no rubbing needed! But yes, if you're looking for a professional look, powdercoating is the way to go, dealer does them 100 bucks a wheel, Craigslist does them for about 200-250 all the wheels, or you can try it you're and do it for about 40 bucks. Plastidip is great, but it's not a permanent thing, you might need to respray every 6 months, or every year, etc etc. depends on how you treat the wheels.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
I sir say false to you! Honestly plastidip is great, easy to paint easy to clean, simple green sprayed on plasti dip takes brake dust right off just like that no rubbing needed! But yes, if you're looking for a professional look, powdercoating is the way to go, dealer does them 100 bucks a wheel, Craigslist does them for about 200-250 all the wheels, or you can try it you're and do it for about 40 bucks. Plastidip is great, but it's not a permanent thing, you might need to respray every 6 months, or every year, etc etc. depends on how you treat the wheels.
I had my wheels plastidipped for about a year and a half. During that time, I had them resprayed 3 times. Right after they're sprayed, they look great. Look nice and black and satin black. But it only takes a few days for them to get kind of dirty and not "shine" like they did when you spray them. After that, when cleaned they never really shine again. I used simple green, adam's apc, and eventually the best thing I could do was just coat them with tire shine. Eventually, the wheels just looked greasy to me and after that, I had had it. I got them painted and it's easily one of the best decisions I've made. I was contemplating not painting because a bunch of people said it would chip immediately after driving for awhile but so far so good. Another friend who's wheels we painted earlier has driven 3k on her wheels and they have yet to chip as well.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
Knockoutpie

Quote:
I had my wheels plastidipped for about a year and a half. During that time, I had them resprayed 3 times. Right after they're sprayed, they look great. Look nice and black and satin black. But it only takes a few days for them to get kind of dirty and not "shine" like they did when you spray them. After that, when cleaned they never really shine again. I used simple green, adam's apc, and eventually the best thing I could do was just coat them with tire shine. Eventually, the wheels just looked greasy to me and after that, I had had it. I got them painted and it's easily one of the best decisions I've made. I was contemplating not painting because a bunch of people said it would chip immediately after driving for awhile but so far so good. Another friend who's wheels we painted earlier has driven 3k on her wheels and they have yet to chip as well.
I can agree with you, i'm not going to do much to this car though, it's a v6, i'll be trading it in in a year or two and upgrade to a v8 :] SO not going to put a ton of money into it like exhaust or painting the wheels or anything, CAI is all I need.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 AM   #6
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
I can agree with you, i'm not going to do much to this car though, it's a v6, i'll be trading it in in a year or two and upgrade to a v8 :] SO not going to put a ton of money into it like exhaust or painting the wheels or anything, CAI is all I need.
I was going to have them professionally painted. But iscamaro you say you spray painted yours?
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
Just spend the $200 or so have them powdercoated professionaly. They will look great if not they will fix them you wont be sorry. i got mine done and love them!
<----- If u wanna see a pic click my profile i got one of just when i got them done
Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I disagree. My wheels have been done for almost 2 years, redone once and still look great. My fiance has his Charger wheels done and his is a daily and still looks good too. I prefer plastidip bc I like to change things up from time to time and its easy to remove and change the look.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
traildevil

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
I will also have to disagree on the plasti dip. Ive used plasti dip for many years on my vehicles and it turns out great every time, if you put enough coats on you don't need to worry about them pealing; as for the dirtiness, what doesn't get dirty on a shiny clear coat anyways? I found that if you use regular armor all on the plasti dip it turns out the best and stays cleanest the longest. However wax works great too if your going for a duller flat black. Plasti dip is universal and cheap and for what you pay it looks great, not to mention the different colors. However if you do get them painted you can always plasti dip over that if you ever decide to go a different color too.
traildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Black Beast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I def say go plasti-dip!! that stuff is awesome and works great! I've had my wheels done for 6 months now and no problem. i drive it almost everyday too! you can do all your wheels for around $25. best deal hands down!!!
2010 Camaro 2SS, 2.9L Whipple S/C, 1 7/8 Kooks headers high flow cats, 3" kooks exhaust, ARP head bolts, GX9 Cam, ZL1 fuel pump w ADM pump module, Fuel Rail, 63 lb injectors, Lifters, Springs, Rx catch can, ZR1 Clutch & Flywheel, K&N intake, Dyno tuned 708RWHP
Black Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
I would have used plastidip but the plastic look is what killed it for me. not sayin its a bad product or it dosent look good in its own way but the op has to decide what look hes wants to go for. with me i had to have it shiny gloss black. do the plastidip at first cause its cheap and if you want to make it perminate then get them powdercoated.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
Plasti dip sucks my friend did his rims on his camaro and once he drove it they would never go back to the original color. Hard to clean, deffiently doesn't look as good as real paint and if a rock chips it or something then it's gonna start peeling

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABMLS3 View Post
Plasti dip sucks my friend did his rims on his camaro and once he drove it they would never go back to the original color. Hard to clean, deffiently doesn't look as good as real paint and if a rock chips it or something then it's gonna start peeling
Doesn't feel, really doesn't even chip, kinda like popping a hole in a balloon full of strach, won't do much.. If it faded his wheels color he must likely didn't properly clean before painting and painted over brake dust, and it's easy to clean.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Paint them yourself
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote