Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
TOONER

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
GM NEEDS TO GROW A PAIR AND MAKE SOME GREAT MUSCLE CARS WITH THE CAMARO

Not sure why the general is sitting back with the muscle car war thats in full swing . I know the ZL1 is a great car but what is there for selection with the camaro a v6 or a v8 and a ZL1. And whats up with a 1LE Camaro? GM has some great engines that are sittting around O like a LS7 (427) 5.3L (327) LSX (454) dear GM why can you not produce a SS 427? or even a SS 327 what about a Z/28? Maybe a LS9 Limited edition to take down the new Shelby

GM look at what your Customers are doing to the Camaro why don't you make the cars that we want . I have a 2010 Camaro SS and there is 150000 Cars just like mine it feels like there is nothing special about it anymore just like the 1980's the Camaro is getting to be a belly button car and they are all the same. Don't get me wrong the ZL1 is sweet car I live up in Canada where we pay $62000 for the mitty ZL1 it would be nice to get a SS 427 for about $50000 base price.

Am I the only guy out there that thinks this?

Don't get me wrong I love the General
Attached Images

TOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
I think a lot of us GM guys are looking for the General to answer Ford back with some major fire power.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I find it funny whenever people say that GM isn't building the cars that people want.
Is that why for the last ~3 years the Camaro has been the best selling car in its segment?

Would it be cool to see more powertrains in the Camaro? Sure. But its not something that can be done on a whim. On top of the certification & validation that needs to be done, there also has to be a business case that makes at least some sense. So it can't be too expensive to get on the road (otherwise, nobody could afford to buy them). And it can't overlap with anything else in the lineup. Or if it does steal sales, it would have to be more profitable than the other 'regular' cars, or draw in a lot of new customers.

Anyway, we will never see the LSX in the Camaro from the factory. That engine was never intended to go into a production car. By the time it gets detuned enough to be emissions compliant, the lighter LSA would be a more powerful engine. Yes its iron block can handle more boost but since the LSX 454 would be the NA variant, it would likely have similar limits to the LSA (without rebuilding it as a FI engine). Which puts the buyers in no better position than they're in now.

And what would be the point of using the 5.3L in a Camaro? To have a car with the weight and fuel economy of a V8 with the power of a V6? I don't get it. Plus, it would cost about as much to build as the LS3 and L99, but since its down about 100 hp compared to them, they'd have to sell it for less than the current SS. And we can't forget the cost of getting it certified for use in the Camaro, which would have to be added in as well. So you'd have higher cost + lower price = much lower proffits, for something that adds nothing of value to the lineup. Not happening

LS7? Thats the most likely of any of them you mentioned. In fact, most of the Z28 hopefuls here on Camaro5 (including myself) would like to see that engine used in the Z28. It would make sense as an alternative performance route than the ZL1 and be a step up on the SS & 1LE. And there is room in the pricing structure in the mid to upper 40s (US pricing, for Canadians it would probably come to mid 50s). However, all the emissions & business case things I mentioned earlier still apply. In my opinion, there is a better chance of GM not building a Z28 at all than there is of them building an LS7 5th gen.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I think a lot of us GM guys are looking for the General to answer Ford back with some major fire power.
I dont think there is very much that GM can do at this point because of the GT500 with its 650+- horsepower, if GM ups the ante then they get into Corvette territory and I dont think they are willing to cross that line with the Camaro.
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
To add to DG's post, the LS7 and all the LS-series engines are not long for this world anyways.

Also, if there are hundreds of thousands of other Camaros out there that are exactly like yours, that's awesome. GM needs to sell as many as they can, exclusivity be damned.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
I dont think there is very much that GM can do at this point because of the GT500 with its 650+- horsepower, if GM ups the ante then they get into Corvette territory and I dont think they are willing to cross that line with the Camaro.
The ZL1 is already more powerful than most Corvettes sold anyways. Plus, why couldn't they use the that uber engine in the ZR1 too if they are so concerned about keeping the Corvette as the most powerful car in their lineup?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I have a 45th camaro and there isn't a single one like mine. I don't care if it can beat a GT500 or not. I'm happy with my camaro, happy with what GM did, and I'll stay that way for a long time.

GM is doing just fine by my eyes.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I also don't get it. As far as engine options go you guys are spoiled. Your base V8 is 400/426 HP with a starting price in the low 30s. To get over 400 HP in a dodge you have to buy the SRT which starts at over 40. Why would you want a smaller V8, sure the 5.7 Hemi might get 1-2 better mpg but I'd rather have the extra 50 HP for the same purchase price.

In my opinion the 6.4 should be the R/T engine and a 6.4 turbo shod be the SRT engine.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
The Vette, the Camaro, and the (soon)SS sedan.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
It would be nice to have more models to choose from though, right now we only have 4 if you count the charger (which I don't). I'd like to see a chevelle, gto, cuda and a bunch more.

Problem is those models would probably just leech sales from the challenger/camaro/mustang instead of generating new sales.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
It would be nice to have more models to choose from though, right now we only have 4 if you count the charger (which I don't). I'd like to see a chevelle, gto, cuda and a bunch more.

Problem is those models would probably just leech sales from the challenger/camaro/mustang instead of generating new sales.
Also, part of the problem is that the market just isn't really there anymore. More people value a fuel efficient, dependable midsize FWD sedan instead of a RWD high horsepower muscle car.

It sucks, but it's a fact of life.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Also, part of the problem is that the market just isn't really there anymore. More people value a fuel efficient, dependable midsize FWD sedan instead of a RWD high horsepower muscle car.

It sucks, but it's a fact of life.

That's why the corvette gets all the power options.

The corvette is one of the least practical cars, and that's exactly why GM sells it with a bunch of power options. If you're buying a corvette, you're not worried about MPG and your impact on the environment.

Although I will admit that an LS3 equipped corvette, like an LS3 camaro, does pretty well on gas from my point of view. I of course drove a 14mpg chevy truck before my camaro though, haha
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
The General uses price points to offer its products based on tons of research. It then sees what it can offer car for price. Because they offered a 1SS I was able to get a great car at a price point I could afford. If all they offered were ZL1's I'd be driving a Mustang GT. BTW just paid her off so the ride has improved dramatically!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
It would be nice to see the the 2014 ZL1 (the last of the crazy HP V8s) with the a detuned version of the LS9. Give it like 10 less HP then the Vett and all can still be right with the world.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote