Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #43
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Mustang guys running wild.......your not going to get any lovin on this thread or any other....so quit trying.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #44
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
The hate in here is awesome.
Yes, it is.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Lesser brakes, lesser tires, massive torque disadvantage and possibly less aero.

The GT350 will be a fast car but to crush the Z/28 is a tall order.
I agree that the lack of CCB's and extremely aggressive tires is going to hold back the GT350 in comparison to the Z/28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
If it weighs less, perhaps better brakes are not required to haul it down from speed? We don't even know the hp/TQ numbers yet, but the z likely has more TQ due to CID. Some of you guys act like only GM engineers know how to make a fast car.
The Z/28 weigh's about 3,800 lbs and I expect the GT350 to be in the 3,700 lbs range so the weight difference isn't that big. Not to mention the CCB's are going to be far superior in terms of brake fade for prolonged track use, the obvious battle ground that these two cars are designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I think this car will be at or above 4000lbs and the HP doesnt really say much since the high RPM will give you a high number but torque will suffer. Again...only so much you can do with 5.2 liters. Not saying thats bad but LS7 at 7 liters and 7k rpm would shock me to have a lower area under the power curves.
I doubt it will be 4,000 lbs. The Mustang is on a smaller chassis than the Camaro, we already know the 2015 GT weigh's high 3,600's/low 3,700's. The engine shouldn't gain weight. The extra 0.2L displacement came from boring out the engine and flat plane crank engines are inherently lighter to begin with. So engine weight alone (5.2L vs LSA) is huge. I agree that the larger brakes, wheels and tires along with mag. ride is going to add weight but you have to assume Ford did some engineering to save weight. The OEM exhaust on the 2015 Mustang GT weigh's a ridiculous amount, a lot of which can and will be saved in the GT350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjeff24 View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that the 350 is just a apparent rip off of the ZL1... Magen Dampers ring a bell? Flat crankshaft WOW... Sorry I don't want 2 i4s paired together.... I like my torque... Never been a huge fan of high rev v8s..... But I also only liked n/a till I got my ZL1..
The ZL1 isn't the first car to have mag. ride so I don't see what the big deal is. A high reving V8 may not be for you, that's fine but I think this engine is going to be absolutely awesome. This is a TRACK car not a DRAG car. If you want big torque the GT500 will cover that. Speaking of torque, this new 5.2 isn't going to be weak like the old M3 V8 (which was still a great engine). Ford has already stated that it will have over 400 torque. It probably won't have the 470 lbs. ft. that the Z/28 has, but it will have more horsepower, which is what you want from a track car.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #46
1QwikZ28

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
The hate in here is awesome.
Agreed. Only on this site is the GT500 inferior to the ZL1. The Shelby destroys the ZL1 in ALL acceleration tests, splits road course wins, yet is not in the same league as the ZL1...lol. Only on C5. Meanwhile, the ZL1 is getting its ass handed to it in the real world by the GT500. Sorry, why sugar coat it. It is what it is. Hopefully Chevy can give us something to match this GT350 in N/A form.
1QwikZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Just watched the videos on the Ford website and its a cool looking car but the more I read nd see the videos it is very clear this is a ZL1 equivalent. The only real difference is a LSA with a supercharger vs the FPC 5.2 and everything else is pretty much a Ford rehash of the ZL1. 15" rotors on alum. hubs, mag ride, all the creature comforts, IRS etc. Etc. etc.

It's a great looking car and the more I look at it the more I like it. The final weight will be the tell tale but I'm thinking it is going to be close to the ZL1 because the more you compare it the heavier it gets. There is no way, IMO, a full luxury car on PSS tires will catch a Z/28 but it should give the ZL1 a good run for its money. Only close to 4 years late but it's a he11 of a good looking car and I'm guessing it'll make an incredible grand tourer. Just like my ZL but they'll need a very nasty R version to catch the big boy. And then Chevy will drop the 6th Gen. and it's a freaking AWESOME time to be a car guy.
Seems to me like this car is going to attempt to be close to the Z/28 in performance(N/A, high reving manual only) while being able to offer the comforts of the ZL1. Kind of like a cross between the two.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #48
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Regardless of speculation and who loves what brand or hates the other, the common ground is we all love cars in general and it is a great time to be a car guy. How long has it been since we had a Z28, GT350, R/T SCAT PACK etc? Even though we are a GM specialty shop if it weren't for all the other brands stepping up and developing awesome cars in their own right who would we compare to?
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #49
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Again, I do not believe the GT350 will have better on-track performance than the z/28. I don't believe Ford intended for it to outperform the Z, either. I do think it will be lighter and cost less, however, yet still put down some numbers that come close to the z. A SS with the 1LE package, IMO, will be an also-ran compared to the z and the GT350. That is if they offer a 1LE setup on the 7th Gen Camaro. At this point, we're all speculating on everything but the current z/28 and 1LE anyway.
So you agree with me but are arguing against my points?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #50
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS GT350 View Post
The GT350 is a trackable street car. The streetable track car, like the awesome Z/28, will be the GT350R. Ford hasn't mentioned it yet but it's coming and still underdevelopment. The R will be the Z killer.

Most of the guys on 6G have never been on track. The real track oriented discussion is going on over on BOSSMustangsOnline.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....c=8702.new#new
Omg your so right you are the coolest I'm going to sell my camaro and buy a mustang right now! Get outta here man, stay over at your precious boss forums. We have plenty of members here that can hold there own on both the strip AND the track. Deal with it.
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #51
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS GT350 View Post
Wow what are you like two years old? I've had nothing but nice things to say about the Z/28 in another thread and I get this? Just trying to clarify what Ford is doing with the GT350.
Lol
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #52
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Omg your so right you are the coolest I'm going to sell my camaro and buy a mustang right now! Get outta here man, stay over at your precious boss forums. We have plenty of members here that can hold there own on both the strip AND the track. Deal with it.
Either you failed to comprehend that, "6G" refers to mustang6g.com, not this forum, or somebody peed in your cheerios this morning. You came off as a toddler either way though.

Anyway, he's right. This car isn't a Z/28 competitor. It has too many luxuries and is too street oriented. This car seems to be slotted in between z/28 and ZL1 which is kind of cool, I think, because it fills the void. The Z/28 is one bad machine, but very few people would enjoy daily driving it.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #53
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
I hate ford but i really liked the last gen looks. This looks like absolute garbage. Glad to see the competing between brands tho. Its good for all of us. Dodge and ford are still crap tho ��
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #54
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
It's embarrassing how defensive people are on this forum. I guess it shows ford did a good job if they are able to get bow tie fans up in arms!

Anyway, I think this car looks awesome, I think it will outpace the z/28 in a straight line race or "highway pull" but will be out-braked and out-cornered on a road course. The added amenities def put it in it's own category which is consistent with ford making all track necessary items as add-on's along with ford redesigning the camaro/mustang/challenger market place with their lineup of v6, turbo and gt mustangs.

This will allow buyers to purchase a vehicle with zl1 amenities, zl1 speed and zl1 performance at the zl1 price range but give the option for people to spec out a vehicle closer to z/28 tractability with a price tag similar to that of a z/28. Performance will clearly be just shy of the z/28 but those looking for more amenities and not caring about tenths of a second will be attracted to this type of option.

Well done to ford, looking forward to the comparisons along with looking forward to Chevy's response.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #55
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
I hate ford but i really liked the last gen looks. ��

Last edited by 87GNX; 11-18-2014 at 01:31 PM.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #56

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
What surprises me is recently the Mustang with the "Performance" options was not rated as good a track car as the 1LE, yet Ford stated the car was to be compared with "twice the price" cars, Porsche, BMW, and intentionally not compared with Dodge or Camaro....(they were "beyond/better" than those from the get-go, according to Ford...lol)

Now this 350 comes along and is compared to the Z/28....

...I think Ford is making awesome cars with these new models, but they are somewhat confused as to which GM/Camaro models are comparable...

So for now, I would suggest that even though this 350 is their top of the line track car, it is still too different from the Z/28....and I would agree with others it is more ZL1, 1LEish...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote