Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #127
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Let's see what car got what engine first.

350 SBC Camaro - By 2 years
LT1 Corvette - BOTH in '70, both again by '93 (new-Gen-Camaro)
LT4 Never made it to Camaro - Camaro SS (106) and Firehawk (29), 1997
LS1 Corvette - 1 year
LS6 Never made it to Camaro - end of the line? GMMG?
LS2 Never made it to Camaro - GTO
LS3 Corvette - uh, what Camaro? Oh wait...
LS7 Corvette - C6R to...uh wait a minute...tooslow has the definitive answer on this.
LS9 Never made it to Camaro - TWO $75K Camaros? Uh, no.
LT1 Corvette - coming soon to a Gen-6 near you
LT4 Corvette - ditto
As stated earlier, market rationalization is ever-present. Without Camaro volume, Corvette's price points would exceed their ever-present value equations, arguably the BEST for a very long time.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #128
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Ford has done a pretty awesome job of pulling the one up. When the ZL came out and was about to crush everything in its path there was all of a sudden a 662hp GT500. Now while, in my opinion, it was still not up to task of the ZL it sure gave all the Ford boys something to hang their hat on.

Now here is where I'm a bit lost at the moment. These GT350 videos are just freaking AWESOME! I'm not a fan boy and I purchased a ZL because I felt it was a better car. This GT350 has me very excited but the timing is all wrong. Why come out with your killer car when we are going into Winter and most folks are putting their cars to bed and other things are on their mind. Take into account that we've got the new G6 Camaro in the Spring which I believe will be opening a whole new can of Whoop-a$$ so why would Ford play their best cards now? I think this is a fake out, for lack of a better term. We'll see a reasonable new GT350 with a strong street version but I do feel they're going to hold back their true killer untill after the new Camaro is launched to try and steal some thunder. If they don't are they not at risk of creating excitement now ( kinda like selling suntan lotion in the Winter) and by the time folks are ready to pull the trigger on them the new Camaro will launch and leave Ford hanging. Unless it's a low volume seller like the Z/28 to just give their fan base their bragging rights.

Thoughts???

BTW Fender addict. it's really nice to see some of the Ford guys on here who can talk and discuss this hobby without going into fanboy mode and going blind to a discussion about their ride. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd love to do a track day with a Boss as I'm not able to find any Mustang guys who will come out and run their cars. Other than the occasional AutoX and they usually only come once or twice then quit.

I do agree timing is off, but the delay of the '15 in general created a domino effect I suppose. And considering places like Texas and California are both bigger than the entire Canadian market, holding off on a car that's ready for the right season makes little sense, especially in light of Internet leaks. I also wouldn't worry that the cards are played, this chassis is apparently "a whole new thing" and expected to lend itself well to refinement and continued development.

Love to do a trackday out west with you as I have a similar problem here with the Camaro guys and gals. Problem is every time I consider a trip west within Canada I look at the price if airfare and find myself in Europe instead.

As for being a Ford guy, I might lean that way as the first car I loved was a Ford ('69 Cougar) but the first car I was given was actually a Chevy ('74 Vega). I did go own to own 4 more GM products, and 6 more Fords. I'm more of a fan of the home team Big 3 and am just happy they are finally delivering products I'd want to own. For many years, I was in effect a Honda (3)/Mazda (7) /BMW (5) guy, if anything.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #129
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Nope ! I'm talking about on the track and the top selling muscle car!

Great cars both, but both followed, no?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #130
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Great cars both, but both followed, no?
Well Ford has no answer to the 1LE for 3 years and have no answer to the sells of the 5th Gen Camaro! So I guess they're following as they are now taking styling and performance cues from Chevy ! Follow along.... But hey , Ford was leading forever Til to the 5th Gen!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #131
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Well Ford has no answer to the 1LE for 3 years and have no answer to the sells of the 5th Gen Camaro! So I guess they're following as they are now taking styling and performance cues from Chevy ! Follow along.... But hey , Ford was leading forever Til to the 5th Gen!
It's a glorious thing to see a true believer in action.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #132
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:

The answer was an all new chassis that took second in R&T performance car of the year. The 1LE and current Z/28 are departing, to go after them directly would be as crazy as Chevy going after the defunct Boss 302 and a poor business decision. Oh....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #133
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Ford has done a pretty awesome job of pulling the one up. When the ZL came out and was about to crush everything in its path there was all of a sudden a 662hp GT500. Now while, in my opinion, it was still not up to task of the ZL it sure gave all the Ford boys something to hang their hat on.

Now here is where I'm a bit lost at the moment. These GT350 videos are just freaking AWESOME! I'm not a fan boy and I purchased a ZL because I felt it was a better car. This GT350 has me very excited but the timing is all wrong. Why come out with your killer car when we are going into Winter and most folks are putting their cars to bed and other things are on their mind. Take into account that we've got the new G6 Camaro in the Spring which I believe will be opening a whole new can of Whoop-a$$ so why would Ford play their best cards now? I think this is a fake out, for lack of a better term. We'll see a reasonable new GT350 with a strong street version but I do feel they're going to hold back their true killer untill after the new Camaro is launched to try and steal some thunder. If they don't are they not at risk of creating excitement now ( kinda like selling suntan lotion in the Winter) and by the time folks are ready to pull the trigger on them the new Camaro will launch and leave Ford hanging. Unless it's a low volume seller like the Z/28 to just give their fan base their bragging rights.

Thoughts???

BTW Fender addict. it's really nice to see some of the Ford guys on here who can talk and discuss this hobby without going into fanboy mode and going blind to a discussion about their ride. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd love to do a track day with a Boss as I'm not able to find any Mustang guys who will come out and run their cars. Other than the occasional AutoX and they usually only come once or twice then quit.
What makes you think most performance car enthusiasts live in colder climates?
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #134
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
These GT350 videos are just freaking AWESOME! I'm not a fan boy and I purchased a ZL because I felt it was a better car.
Agreed, I am super excited to see what this GT350 is going to be. I've never been this excited about a Ford product reveal before..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #135
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
And who's the first Camaro guy that said he was going to buy one if the GT350 is delivered as I have speculated/hoped?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #136
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
The answer was an all new chassis that took second in R&T performance car of the year. The 1LE and current Z/28 are departing, to go after them directly would be as crazy as Chevy going after the defunct Boss 302 and a poor business decision. Oh....
Where did you get that? I never saw a scoring sheet, just an overall winner announced.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #137
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Where did you get that? I never saw a scoring sheet, just an overall winner announced.
Implied hierarchy
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #138
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
As stated earlier, market rationalization is ever-present. Without Camaro volume, Corvette's price points would exceed their ever-present value equations, arguably the BEST for a very long time.
My point was which car got the engine first.

Camaro got 350 sbc first.

Corvette got LT1 in 92, Camaro got it in 93

My understand is those were not factory options but aftermarket packages, so they don't count in this discussion.

Corvette still got the LS1 first

GMMG cars were aftermarket upgrades, not factory. Point still stands.

GTO is not a Camaro.

Corvette got LS3 in 2008. Camaro got LS3 in 2010.

Corvette got LS7 in 2006. Camaro got LS7 in 2014.

There was no Z/28 when ZL1 was in development but they still chose LSA over LS9.

Corvette got LT1 in 2014. Camaro will (may, we still don't know) get LT1 in 2016.

Corvette got LT4 in 2015. Camaro will (may, we still don't know) get LT4 (probably in detuned form) in 2-3 years.

My point still stands that Camaro engine performance was not driven by Mustang engine performance but GM wanting to upgrade the Corvette engine. You've done nothing to prove otherwise.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #139
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
You think the Z/28 was targeted at the BOSS?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #140
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
And who's the first Camaro guy that said he was going to buy one if the GT350 is delivered as I have speculated/hoped?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote