Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Metra 99-3010s relay question...

Howdy folks....purchased a used Metra 99-3010s install kit used off of ebay that is in pretty good shape. I downloaded the manual, but the problem is there is this relay that (apparently) replaces the built in turn signal sound/door chime, and it's not mentioned in the manual at all. The problem is that it's not connected to anything in the wiring harness and was hoping some of you good folk who have either done this yourself or had it done might know how/where to connect it.

Any pics of wiring the relay would be super helpful. Thanks guys!!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
I got pretty confused on my (former) Metra kit. All the relay does is CLICKS! That's it! It's a noise maker. :/

I don't have mine anymore so I really can't say where it was hooked up to in the harness, but if you do find it, don't be as baffled as I was when it only shows 2 wires hooked to it.
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Out View Post
I got pretty confused on my (former) Metra kit. All the relay does is CLICKS! That's it! It's a noise maker. :/

I don't have mine anymore so I really can't say where it was hooked up to in the harness, but if you do find it, don't be as baffled as I was when it only shows 2 wires hooked to it.
See that's the problem! Since I got it used from Ebay, the relay was disconnected and just sitting in the box, so I honestly don't know where it connects :-/
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
If I remember correctly, it had spade connectors on that relay, and only 2 wires were connected.

So those wires should be easy to find as they will be the only 2 with spades, and they go to the coil wires of the relay. If you were unlucky the previous owner cut the connectors off, but then again, all the other wires are covered in the manual. The 2 remaining are what you are looking for.

You can download the manual from Metra for free, and that covers all the other wires.

Like Black Out pointed out, you really don't need to use that relay if you don't want to hear a traditional click sound when your turn signals are on.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
If I remember correctly, it had spade connectors on that relay, and only 2 wires were connected.

So those wires should be easy to find as they will be the only 2 with spades, and they go to the coil wires of the relay. If you were unlucky the previous owner cut the connectors off, but then again, all the other wires are covered in the manual. The 2 remaining are what you are looking for.

You can download the manual from Metra for free, and that covers all the other wires.

Like Black Out pointed out, you really don't need to use that relay if you don't want to hear a traditional click sound when your turn signals are on.
Unlucky = me (yep they were cut)....

So when you say I don't really need to use the relay to hear the 'traditional click sound' what does the alternative (if any??) sound like? I guess I don't really care as long as there's a click. to tell me I have my signals on.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Unlucky = me (yep they were cut)....

So when you say I don't really need to use the relay to hear the 'traditional click sound' what does the alternative (if any??) sound like? I guess I don't really care as long as there's a click. to tell me I have my signals on.
Without the relay, all you'll hear are the sounds of silence....
No relay no clicky.

Or you could wire in a siren. Piss off your passengers.
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
if the relay is marked, Pin 86 and Pin 85 are the ones you want to make the relay open/close. This would supply the clicking, but I could not imagine that being loud enough to hear buried in the dash.

As to where they connect to the harness I have no clue.

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
if the relay is marked, Pin 86 and Pin 85 are the ones you want to make the relay open/close. This would supply the clicking, but I could not imagine that being loud enough to hear buried in the dash.

As to where they connect to the harness I have no clue.
Well, you've gotten me halfway there, ha ha! Thanks!