Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
EXACTLY. And some people are not willing to take those risks. Why is that? Well it is because as you said...

And just because you personally...does not mean that everyone has to have the same sentiments.

One, no it isn't. This is a website that focuses on the Fifth Generation Camaro. Nowhere is it implied that this site is mainly a "car modding" site. There are sections dedicated to modding, but the site is not entirely dedicated to modding.

Basically, my question to you is: Why do you care what others do with their car? If someone doesn't wanna ruin the warranty, then they have that right. And there is nothing at all wrong with asking about the mods that won't void their warranty. Just because you have X amount of knowledge or X amount of money does not mean that others have those same luxuries. I personally have nowhere to work on my car other than a parking lot. If I had a garage, then I would have done soo much more by now. But I won't do certain things because I don't want to get stuck with a blown engine as I won't be able to repair it myself. And others have similar issues whether its time constraints or whatever the case is. Or maybe someone doesn't wanna hurt the re-sale value by voiding it. So worry about you and your car. You don't care about your warranty, ok so what? Here, have a cookie. Good for you.
Then why troll around and ask about mods that you're not going to end up doing? Like come on if ppl are going to mod there's always a risk if you want to focus in your warranty and keeping value and what not then yea keep it stock, and don't troll around about topics that have been beaten to death on this forum we have millions of threads about cais and long tube headers and voiding warranties! Just use the search button if he/she really wants knowledge about that topic then he/she would have taken the time to use the search button.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
One, no it isn't. This is a website that focuses on the Fifth Generation Camaro. Nowhere is it implied that this site is mainly a "car modding" site. There are sections dedicated to modding, but the site is not entirely dedicated to modding.

Basically, my question to you is: Why do you care what others do with their car? If someone doesn't wanna ruin the warranty, then they have that right. And there is nothing at all wrong with asking about the mods that won't void their warranty. Just because you have X amount of knowledge or X amount of money does not mean that others have those same luxuries. I personally have nowhere to work on my car other than a parking lot. If I had a garage, then I would have done soo much more by now. But I won't do certain things because I don't want to get stuck with a blown engine as I won't be able to repair it myself. And others have similar issues whether its time constraints or whatever the case is. Or maybe someone doesn't wanna hurt the re-sale value by voiding it. So worry about you and your car. You don't care about your warranty, ok so what? Here, have a cookie. Good for you.
Ok you hit on some very interesting points here, though I think you took my question as far more hostile than I had meant it. If that's the way it reads then my apologies, Ill attempt to clear it up a little.

1.) You are 100% correct that this site is for the gen5 all together. As a "modder" I really ONLY read the bolt on section, the FI section, and the occasional other section to trouble shoot other things that come up from time to time. (and maybe the classifieds) I've been that way in every forum I've been a member of so that may be part of why I view them as "modding sites". In all fairness though I did post my question in the "bolt on mod section"

2.) I don't care what other people do with their car. I'm not "judging" anyone here. I was simply asking why "dance around" voiding it? I see it as the same, as will the dealer if thats the type of dealer you are stuck dealing with.

3.) Money and knowledge have nothing to do with my question. I simply gave a brief personal background so people could understand MY STANDPOINT before expressing theirs. Not that it matters but I'm an E6 in the military, its not like we make THAT much. I was just expressing that I'm comfortable with tools and enjoy learning.

4.) These were all very valid points as well, and added to the conversation.

"If I had a garage, then I would have done soo much more by now. But I won't do certain things because I don't want to get stuck with a blown engine as I won't be able to repair it myself. And others have similar issues whether its time constraints or whatever the case is. Or maybe someone doesn't wanna hurt the re-sale value by voiding it."

I hadn't even considered the resale values.

So what are your thoughts on changing say headers? Would you be comfortable with that with no tune? Its my "personal feelings" that its a waste of time and money, but your entitled to yours. My thread is simply for the discussion of both sides of the fence. I really want to know "why" it comes up so much.

Not an attack, just a question. I feel it could benefit people in general!
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
mine lasted about 4 weeks

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I think it's foolish to ask the warranty what if question just for the very fact that it's really up to your dealer what they will cover and will not. My dealer could give a rats ass what you do. Hell, I've them perform mods that should have voided certain parts of warranties in the past. Just last week I bought a new 2500HD and I had them turn the torsion bars up to get that god awful rake out that all manufacturers love to put in trucks these day and had them line the front end back up. I ask if that would hurt warranty on the front end. They said no. They will still warranty it. Funny thing is that if you read any of the 4x4 forums, they say all the time that doing that to a truck will void the warranty on the front end. Not in my case because I have a great dealer.

Regardless, If you are worried about at all then don't mod.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
mandra

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2RS M6
I think it's a more prevalent phenomena here because of the draw of the Camaro to many who have never bought a new car or never bought one this expensive. I bought mine as a toy, drove it off the dealer lot and it will never be back unless something really odd happens. A blown engine would both stink and be a great reason to get a stroker.

I could see though why many don't want to lose the warranty though. Maybe if we had a search the forum tutorial that was mandatory we would have less "will a tune brake my warranty" or "what's a tune?" "should I use superchips? etc.
mandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Deezee

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I think it's foolish to ask the warranty what if question just for the very fact that it's really up to your dealer what they will cover and will not. My dealer could give a rats ass what you do. Hell, I've them perform mods that should have voided certain parts of warranties in the past. Just last week I bought a new 2500HD and I had them turn the torsion bars up to get that god awful rake out that all manufacturers love to put in trucks these day and had them line the front end back up. I ask if that would hurt warranty on the front end. They said no. They will still warranty it. Funny thing is that if you read any of the 4x4 forums, they say all the time that doing that to a truck will void the warranty on the front end. Not in my case because I have a great dealer.

Regardless, If you are worried about at all then don't mod.
I too have always had a great relationship with my dealers over the years. I'm a pretty personable guy, and love to talk cars so I try to stop in and bs if I go by for an oil filter or something. I always end up in the bay talking cars. On the off chance I do "need them" they always try to help.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
But the part that kills me time and time again is WHY BOTHER if your not going to maximize it?
So by this logic why even bother with headers, intake and tune? Quit being cheap and just go turbo right out the gate! Oh you can't afford it? Oh my bad maybe that's how these kids/family guys who don't make $70k+ feel when you bash them for doing simple mods they can afford and wondering if said mods will affect warranty that they would desperately need in case something broke. Honestly if your car has B2B still why on earth would you want to void that!? It fixes pretty much anything that goes wrong for free and seeings how just like any other new car these cars have certain issues that plague them why would you want to have to pay retail to fix your shitty factory heated seat or your dash that cracked where the airbag is!? "Yeah man f$%# my warranty! I'd gladly pay $2000+ for a new dash because my header tune was so worth it!" Lmao
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
So by this logic why even bother with headers, intake and tune? Quit being cheap and just go turbo right out the gate! Oh you can't afford it? Oh my bad maybe that's how these kids/family guys who don't make $70k+ feel when you bash them for doing simple mods they can afford and wondering if said mods will affect warranty that they would desperately need in case something broke. Honestly if your car has B2B still why on earth would you want to void that!? It fixes pretty much anything that goes wrong for free and seeings how just like any other new car these cars have certain issues that plague them why would you want to have to pay retail to fix your shitty factory heated seat or your dash that cracked where the airbag is!? "Yeah man f$%# my warranty! I'd gladly pay $2000+ for a new dash because my header tune was so worth it!" Lmao
Just so you understand, just because you tune or do something similar to lose your power train warranty, your bumper to bumper remains in tact. So you'll still get your seat, dash, airbag, etc covered under warranty. The power train has nothing to do with the bumper to bumper.

To answers your question about why someone would void their warranty. I have a 2013, just passed 4k miles. My car was tuned (among other things) at about 3500 miles, so bye bye PT warranty. My car now runs the way it's supposed to run, like a beast. If something breaks, so be it, I'll just build it bigger, better and faster.

For me, having a car run the way I want is more important then being held hostage by some stupid warranty. For others a warranty is more important and I respect that.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
To me, this is just weird. I think it's obvious why some people don't want to loose their warranty, and why some people bought the car to mod it and customize the power train to their own liking.

Is an explanation really needed?

And to say that this site is only for modding is incorrect, as previously stated.

Again, that doesn't deserve an explanation either.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
Deezee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
Oh geez here we go... Your reading far too much into this! But ill answer for the point of conversation. I'm doing headers/intake/cam/and tune because I had them in my last LS. I'm not 100% sure yet what FI route I want. I had an ECS SC in the last one and loved it! Had a great time with the TT's in my last car so I'm debating doing it again. The only kit I like so far just came out, so after I see the results on a few cars maybe ill buy it and sell my bolt ons? Maybe ill SC again? I'm not sure yet. Nobody is being cheap? Maybe some people can drop off a car and pick it up DONE? I'm not that guy, and I like the road building it! no i couldnt afford it all at once, but thats the fun in building it! but I promise you I'm going to use the best parts and do it right! (Tune)

Nobody is attacking kids or dads for building as they go? THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE! My question is IF possibly breaking it beyond your capability weather it be money or ability to fix it yourself is the problem, why chance it? I'm simply asking

"If it will possibly void your warranty and that's important, then why do it?"

Do you think the dealer is going to care if you have a tune or not when you have headers with no CEL and you bend a rod? No!:( they have to PROVE that your added part caused it! I'm asking why "dance around it" if you "kinda void it" just void it I say. I'm asking WHY guys do that.

The dealer isn't going to void your b2b for mods. I had my 700hp blown/cam'd/meth vette in the shop right before I sold it for a window issue. Not only did they pay for it, they asked me to bring it back to show the general manager since he was looking to do his!

While no one has really tackled my question head on, I'm starting to think its just misinformation on what can or can't be done, and how that affects you warranty.

I for one have NEVER had an issue with a car being turned away for my "tune" then again I never doubled power to the wheels, broke an axle then asked them to fix it! Lol (yes I read that in a car forum! :( )
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
You may see the threads a bunch but, many buyers simply do not know. They come here and ask. Who cares. I know people who have had warranty work denied for stupid shit along with some who have had warranty work on heavily modded cars. There is no fool proof answer. Some people really want that warranty safety net but, human nature wants more out of the car. Just the way it goes. Don't sweat it and move on to a more interesting thread.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Deezee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
To me, this is just weird. I think it's obvious why some people don't want to loose their warranty, and why some people bought the car to mod it and customize the power train to their own liking.

Is an explanation really needed?

And to say that this site is only for modding is incorrect, as previously stated.

Again, that doesn't deserve an explanation either.
The question isn't why they want to keep their warranty?

It's, why kinda void it, or use lesser parts (ie very restrictive hf cats so not to throw a CEL) and not tune? Your spending all the money for the same mods your buddy got, but he gets a better running car? Seems kinda unfair.

As for the forum not being for modding only, yes I agreed in a later post, but posted in the modding section.

I was REALLY hoping to have a conversation as to the ups and downs of both sides, but this is gong in the weeds FAST! :(
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
No I understand what you're saying I was just trying to state that a lot of people that come on asking those questions do so because they know they can't afford to fix something if it goes awry :-P my particular town likes to hire service advisors with no car experience that go "by the book" so I mod things knowing that if need be I'm going to have to swap back to factory before I take it in lol
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote