Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #43
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Take it from a guy who had doubts but settled on initial purchase... I bought a 1lt in January 2011...Yea its more powerful than a lot of v6 out there and still pushes 323hp...

Fast forward to Feb 2012 ... . I sold it and got the 2ss... And then i was "that guy" making another "so i got rid of my v6 for a v8" post

Oh and i dont rly know what your situation is but if u can i would suggest waiting until feb/march of next year and saving a little more... I remember around the time i bought my car they started offering 0% apr financing on prev year models... And $1500-$2000 discount vouchers... With the abundance of camaros now... Im sure if u wait u can get a great deal on a 2012 2ss around that time.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #44
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
V6 Owner Feelings

I own a 2011 2LT RS and I am in love with it. I think what I loved most about the car was the looks, first and foremost. The only people who truly know what the V8 looks like, are the ones on here. Other than that, everyone sees the exterior of the car passing them by. I was lucky I was able to afford the V6, loaded. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to have the V8 power, but I remind myself I had to stay within my means.

You seem to want power + features on it. IMO, the V6 2LT RS is the best in between. You have HUD and every other little do-dad included. Plus having 312-324 horsepower, which is not slow by any means. I've driven both 4 and 6 cylinders and this has had the most output. I had a 200HP Acura CL and thought that was fast. The V6 Camaro has the perfect power, perfect pickup and perfect features when loaded. It's nice to have more horsepower, but it was not the end of the world for me. I was just happy to be able to sit in one, drive one as my DD and gawk at it in my driveway.

In the end, do what makes you happy, but coming from someone who owns the V6, I can tell you, don't for one second think it's a slow car. Compared to the V8, of course it's going to be slower, but to every other typical car on the road, the V6 comes away strong with power and features at an affordable cost.

Good luck to you with either one you choose!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #45
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Go for it pull the trigger and get yourself the V8, you won't regret it, so long as you can afford it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #46
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
wow...thank you topic

After reading this thread....you guys have inspired me. I honestly was one of those people waiving between the 2013 2SS and 2LT w/ RS package, auto trans, and convertible. I am 23 years old and this will be my first "real" new car.

I know for a fact I will never race this car or care about my quarter mile time, but yet I was so hung up on getting the SS. I found out it was mostly because i felt like I needed it to have a "real camaro". I test drove the SS and obviously loved it, but i found myself just accelerating all the time and wasting gas in 45mph zones (which I can afford, but find stupid).

After test driving a V6...I knew this was enough power for me. I want to thank you guys who posted (especially ShowSStopper) for now I will be looking into purchasing a 2LT instead of a 2SS.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #47
tazz3

Drives: 2012 camaro
buy the car you want i see you are in ks and with winter comeing.
who wants to go pick up a brand new camaro in 3 feet of snow.
so save up and buy the camaro next spring
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #48
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
I vote 2010 2SS.

I went thru adding the HUD to my car and didnt really care for it. Its nice to have but after a while I found it to be a distraction. Yes some people swear by it but I much rather have the gauges. All the other must haves are there. Just look for a lower mileage 2SS and you wont take the depreciation hit.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #49
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxxvii View Post
tl;dr:

From visiting this forum, it seems like the attitude is that it's not a real Camaro unless there is a V8 in it.
Maybe it's just me but this V6 looks like a 2013 Camaro to me

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #50
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Go for the V8, maybe shoot for a 2011 2SS if you can find one in your price range since they have the HUD, if not you will not be made about a 2010 2SS. I settled for a 1LT/RS because that's what I could afford at the time and I have enjoyed it a lot over the past two years, and now I have a 2SS/RS 1LE being produced this week, and couldn't be happier to make the switch. Do what you can and either way you will be happy.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Buy what you can afford.

I also wanted a 2SS but that would NEVER happen anytime soon. Either save longer or get the 2LT. Also factor in higher insurance and fuel costs. I love my Camaro and most people that tell me "you should of got a v8" I have more hp then their late model v8s.

But... if you can't stand a V6, I wouldn't get one at all rather then stretch yourself thin. There are more financially important things to life than cars.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #52
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
Okay...let me try to break this down one more time:

1. If you want the V8 and have to have it, then get it..if you can afford it. And I don't mean that in a "Settle for the V6" kind of way. The SS is an expensive car to maintain. There may not be much difference in gas mileage depending on how you drive but there's a difference in price at the pump that is considerable. People will say it's only $5 here or there...but guess what? How do you start saving money? By putting $5 here or there away. Why? Because IT ADDS UP OVER TIME. Don't think payment only on this car...think tires, gas, payment, insurance, use, etc.

2. Touching briefly on the "use" aspect of what I said above: Are you going to the track? The V6 makes PLENTY of power for the street...the V8 makes overkill power. I've had the LFX '12 V6 and I never used 100% of that motor's potential on the street. In the SS I have now, there's no point in even trying. So for a track application, the V8 is the way to go because it provides a better starting platform..that's not to say it is the better platform, as you can slap twin turbos on a V6 and have a monster as well. It's all in what you want.

3. Price. This has been my issue with both of my Camaros. Are the two extra cylinders worth $10k to you? That's a nice twin turbo V6 with a LOT of extra cash in your pocket. You said you were turning 30...I'm 31, so insurance for us is not the deal breaker it used to be. Honestly, my SS costs me 75 cents more per month...yes, cents. But that's a good thing, because my payments are through the freaking roof!

4. You will hear people in the enthusiast crowd say "If it's not a V8, it's not a real car." These same people can NOT deny the power of the Nissan GT-R, or Porsche 911 Turbo...both V6-powered, both absolute animals, both fully capable of handing a stock V8 SS it's ass on a platter. The V6 in the Camaro is no slouch, though it doesn't accelerate to 60 all that well because of the weight of the car. Ask yourself though...."How often will I be timing my 0-60 runs?" If you say all the time, then get the V8 to shave off a little bit of time...and be ready to fill it with gas because the 6.2L engine is an absolute petroholic at wide open throttle..it's ridiculous.

Nobody here should have to motivate you to chase your dreams as you say. If you want the V8, don't settle....save and get it. Just be ready for everything that comes with that choice. If you want a Camaro, aren't tracking it, and enjoy getting decent MPG and 350Z-area power, the V6 is a fantastic choice, especially in RS trim.

Either way, we can all suggest things to you but you ultimately pay the note on it. Whatever you do, don't go buy an SS because people say it's the only "REAL Camaro" or some stupid crap like that. People say that, but they aren't the ones paying for yours and are probably the ones who are trying to make themselves feel better because they are barely able to pay for theirs. Life is short...do what makes YOU happy and if others don't like it, that's too bad for them.

I would hate to see you driving around in a pink Camaro with purple rally stripes, but guess what? If it makes you happy, then that's what you need to do. Of course, that's just a wild example..but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

Sorry for the long post, but everyone always says "Get the V8" when these threads come up....nobody ever takes the time to explain exactly what comes with doing that and why the V6 can be an excellent option for most people.

Good luck OP.
Dude, I got to your post and I think you changed my mind! Holy crap.

You touched on things that have me doubting my V8 needs. The comment about it being overkill on the open street is one. When will I ever truly appreciate that I'm driving a V8? Might not ever, especially since I'm a law abiding citizen =)

The thing about gas is also worrisome. I'm by no means stretched too thin, and gas won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But I currently fill up my car once every two weeks, and it costs $45 (87 oct). I get about 20 MPGs in my current car. I don't have any idea what gas will cost me until I own the car and drive it normally.

Finally, outside perception. I don't know anyone who is a gear head or into cars at all. The only person I'd truly get the V8 for is myself.

I'm still going to test drive both, since I didn't have a chance to this morning. I have an appt for 6:30 PM.

I'll continue reading responses, just had to add this once I read the post.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxxvii View Post
Dude, I got to your post and I think you changed my mind! Holy crap.

You touched on things that have me doubting my V8 needs. The comment about it being overkill on the open street is one. When will I ever truly appreciate that I'm driving a V8? Might not ever, especially since I'm a law abiding citizen =)

The thing about gas is also worrisome. I'm by no means stretched too thin, and gas won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But I currently fill up my car once every two weeks, and it costs $45 (87 oct). I get about 20 MPGs in my current car. I don't have any idea what gas will cost me until I own the car and drive it normally.

Finally, outside perception. I don't know anyone who is a gear head or into cars at all. The only person I'd truly get the V8 for is myself.

I'm still going to test drive both, since I didn't have a chance to this morning. I have an appt for 6:30 PM.

I'll continue reading responses, just had to add this once I read the post.
The V6 will get better gas mileage than your current car; the SS will get about the same, maybe a little worse depending on how hard you throttle it. I have fun in my V6 and was getting 27mpg at 80mph on the interstate yesterday with the AC off.

Regardless of what you choose, we wanna see it! Good luck!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #54
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Congrats on the V6! Im suprised you walked away with it instead of the V8. Especially if you test drove both. The V6 is plenty fast for public roads, enjoy your beautiful camaro. And the V6 IS a REAL Camaro, anyone who says otherwise is this guy.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #55
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Congrats on the V6! Im suprised you walked away with it instead of the V8. Especially if you test drove both. The V6 is plenty fast for public roads, enjoy your beautiful camaro. And the V6 IS a REAL Camaro, anyone who says otherwise is this guy.
If you look he says he is going to test drive both later and hasn't bought anything yet.

Great pic

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #56
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
After reading this thread....you guys have inspired me. I honestly was one of those people waiving between the 2013 2SS and 2LT w/ RS package, auto trans, and convertible. I am 23 years old and this will be my first "real" new car.

I know for a fact I will never race this car or care about my quarter mile time, but yet I was so hung up on getting the SS. I found out it was mostly because i felt like I needed it to have a "real camaro". I test drove the SS and obviously loved it, but i found myself just accelerating all the time and wasting gas in 45mph zones (which I can afford, but find stupid).

After test driving a V6...I knew this was enough power for me. I want to thank you guys who posted (especially ShowSStopper) for now I will be looking into purchasing a 2LT instead of a 2SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post

Mistaken Identity, thought OP pulled the trigger on the V6. Disregard my last post.

Closed Thread