Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #85
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
one wonders why they don't move somewhere else.
Oh, but they are.

On behalf of the greater forum community, we apologize for besmirching the pristine reputation of the People's Republic of California.

Last edited by Capricio; 03-02-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:56 AM   #86
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Article says...."They say owners can do things like use fuel cut-off systems and steering wheel locks, and look into aftermarket devices that can stop key fob transmitter signals."

Who makes an aftermarket device to stop transmitter signals?

And yes I agree everyone should flood GMs customer service line next week to come up with a fix for this shit quick!
Faraday bags. I park in the garage, lock it manually, and put fobs in Faraday bag. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll put one of my guard dogs in the garage at night. (They prefer being alone at night anyway.)

If I had to park outside my garage, I would pull a few relays. But, if a professional from Fast and Furious shows up with tools and a tow truck, they'll haul it away regardless.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:33 PM   #87
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The bellyaching about California by people who don't even live in California is political noise, including the people who actually live there and complain about it; one wonders why they don't move somewhere else. The Camaro isn't even in the top 10 stolen cars yet the topic is being discussed like the Camaro has ascended to the most stolen car in America and we're at risk of losing our insurance coverage.

It's worth taking note, however, and people who live in LA county should be extra vigilant. Others should take notice as well, as OBD-port and RFID theft is on the rise.

This to me feels like a level-headed approach, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong. It's the path I'm taking; I don't live in LA county.

It's like when my doctor says eating bacon increases my chance of a heart attack by 1,000%. But bacon as a single factor not expressed as a percentage increase of risk from .000001 to .001. I'd like to see what the actual risk of threat is, instead of swallowing the potentially sensationalist statistic used to garner clicks and reads in order to make my own choices.

If parking in a garage at night and not living in neighborhoods of East LA lower my risk 10,000%, I think I'm ahead.
Yep kind of agree this sis getting a bit out of hand. The Camaro shares an electrical architecture with many other GM cars, some of which are more expensive than the Camaro. Also GM is not the only car company that has this problem.

My guess is if it were as easy to fix as a quick OTA calibration tweak GM would have done it. My guess is there is hardware required as well or he necessary module is already maxed out.

And likely this isn’t that big a problem for GM. They have the data and we don’t.

And my favorite is the threat o& a lawsuit for a car that meets federal standards and when released was on par with industry standards. But I’m sure a lawyer who can retire on just that one white whale class action suit will soon be sniffing around.

Camaro sales or lack thereof no longer matter here. Insurance cost and car value still does. And lost value would be the only real basis for any lawsuit.

Top 3 stolen cars in 2023, Chevy FSP, GMC FSP, Ford F150. But also the highest volume of cars on the road are one of these 3. So GM has a bigger problem than Camaro.

https://insurify.com/car-insurance/i...hevy%20pickups.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #88
alexTop

Drives: 2023 1LT Convertible
Car thefts in Houston are pretty bad also
alexTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #89
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Playing devil's advocate. GM has stopped making the camaro so not being able to sell I don't think is a concern for them. From what I understand, C7 corvette also has the same susceptibility but GM stopped making that too. Imo, the most realistic chance we have of GM issuing a fix from factory is if the same issue plagues currently manufactured and sold models, eg. CT5-V BW (I don't know if it's affected though). I think the C8 is a different architecture so maybe not affected?

Imagine if customers buying new C8s or CT5-V BWs from the dealerships were not able to get full coverage insurance which would mean no sale. That would for sure get GM's attention.

Me personally my insurance renewal is coming up in a few months. I fully expect it to go through the roof. I think TX camaro thefts is also pretty bad (Dallas probably is the worst in TX). Depending on how bad things are come summer, I might consider selling and getting something else.
Current Camaro and C7 Corvette owners are potential future C8 owners. I do believe the CT5V Blackwing is pretty much the same as the Camaro, so that should help
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:36 PM   #90
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yep kind of agree this sis getting a bit out of hand. The Camaro shares an electrical architecture with many other GM cars, some of which are more expensive than the Camaro. Also GM is not the only car company that has this problem.

My guess is if it were as easy to fix as a quick OTA calibration tweak GM would have done it. My guess is there is hardware required as well or he necessary module is already maxed out.

And likely this isn’t that big a problem for GM. They have the data and we don’t.

And my favorite is the threat o& a lawsuit for a car that meets federal standards and when released was on par with industry standards. But I’m sure a lawyer who can retire on just that one white whale class action suit will soon be sniffing around.

Camaro sales or lack thereof no longer matter here. Insurance cost and car value still does. And lost value would be the only real basis for any lawsuit.

Top 3 stolen cars in 2023, Chevy FSP, GMC FSP, Ford F150. But also the highest volume of cars on the road are one of these 3. So GM has a bigger problem than Camaro.

https://insurify.com/car-insurance/i...hevy%20pickups.
LAPD is issuing a warning for a reason. I think it will become a problem for GM when insurers start dropping Camaros.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:29 PM   #91
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
Current Camaro and C7 Corvette owners are potential future C8 owners. I do believe the CT5V Blackwing is pretty much the same as the Camaro, so that should help
That's a bummer. CT5-V BW is actually one of the models I was considering getting should I sell my SS 1LE.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #92
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
wow it's back to the old days. once upon a time, well 35 years ago the Camaro was the most stolen car, at least as i recall. then as sales dropped more mundane cars were at the top of the list. now the Camaro has made a come back, just on the wrong list.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:06 PM   #93
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
I’m a future Mustang owner. I hope to have my Camaro for a long time but unless and until Queen Mary or her successor(s) have a complete 180 reversal my next wad of heart earned cash is going to the Blue Oval. V8, internal combustion, 4 seat, two door coupe. With a stick shift. Ford has committed to a long term future with it.

Queen Mary waved the white flag.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #94
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
NBC News just did a piece on this and the cop pointed to the fob's signal
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:19 PM   #95
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Hell! us Canuck government, are so concerned we are have a summit!!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-safe...uto-theft.html
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:23 PM   #96
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post

We have summits to discuss why we are spending so much money on summits. At the end of the day the police are marginally effective at catching the thieves, but the judges release them with a slap on the wrist. It's a no win situation.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:28 PM   #97
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post

Funny story. A Canadien friend just had his 5 year old Ram pickup stolen from his driveway. He had a pretty funky insurance policy that not only replace the vehicle (his was older, 50,000 mile, desperate need for a new exhaust) but to replace with a NEW model. So he basically got a $96,000 truck. 4 hours after he signed the paper work for the new truck the police called and found his old truck parked at the airport. Police found it using license plate reader cruising the lot. When he went to insure the new truck? Yeah, they don’t offer that policy anymore. But police told him it was likely in a shipping container heading over seas. And it moves fast to the point that if 5e police believe a container has cars they can’t get customs to open it faster than the container is on a boat and gone.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:32 PM   #98
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
LAPD is issuing a warning for a reason. I think it will become a problem for GM when insurers start dropping Camaros.
They want as the Camaro is no easier to steal than any other cars, GM and nonGM.

Not saying it can’t happen but how is a car that is fundamentally the same as 2016, now uninsurable? That’s a tough one to explain.