Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #71
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
I had some legitimate concerns regarding getting a manual. I drive in stop-n-go traffic every day. My wife can't drive one. Etc.

My decision was made up on my first test drives. I had researched the cars, and was really excited about making a purchase. I took an auto out first. The car was great. Acceleration, braking, curves, sound, feel, etc. It was fabulous. But, when I got out, I thought, "Man, if I didn't need a car right now, I'm not sure I'd want to spend $50k on this."

Then I drove a manual. Pretty much same car. It felt the same accel, braking, etc. But, when I got out of it, I thought, "I'd pay $20k more for this car than that auto!" My hair was standing up, I had goose bumps, and a grin the size of Texas.

So, for me, it's all about that gut feeling.
I agree. A manual in this type of car just enhances the whole experience. I remember when I first test drove a GEN 5 auto and I kinda felt like you did. I was like this a nice cruiser but I was not blown away. Then I climbed into a GEN5 1LE which only comes in manual and I was like this is a totally different car. I knew immediately that I would be annoyed with the manual when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic but I also knew when I wasn't in traffic I would have 10x the fun. I have never really mastered heal/toe rev matching, so when I saw the new active rev match feature of the GEN6 I had to check it out. It is pretty cool when you can just start braking for an upcoming turn and you can just downshift and let the computer perfectly rev match for you without you needing to blip the throttle.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #72
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
So, knowing the pros and cons of both, who got an automatic and feels that the automatic is ALSO an enthusiast's car? Yes, I may be asking for affirmation, but I would be happy to hear from those that have driven both and can make a valid argument for avoiding the automatic.
Consider this analogy . . . would you prefer a dance partner who not only has all the right moves but also has the same timing as you, or does that not matter? Translation - do you notice the time delay between commanding an automatic shift and the electronics and hydraulics getting it done? Does it bother you if you do notice it? (even though a MT shift takes longer, you don't notice this sort of thing with a stick-shift because you're busy the whole time doing a variety of things with no idle time in between to notice things not keeping up with your intentions)

BTW, I'm 68.

Norm