Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #29
Todd_Cooperider

Drives: 2022 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
I did Cquartz a couple months ago and I honestly wouldn't do it again. Took FOREVER to do and is a huge pain in the ass to buff off after it flashes. The results were great but I feel I could get the same results with just a sealant that is much easier to apply.
Don't get yourself discouraged on coatings based off of one experience. From what you're saying, it sounds more like a brand-thing than a coating-thing.
Todd_Cooperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #30
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Cooperider View Post
Don't get yourself discouraged on coatings based off of one experience. From what you're saying, it sounds more like a brand-thing than a coating-thing.

Todd, I have had the pleasure of reading many of your write up's in the past, in the detailing community online.

I have had the opportunity to learn from several professional detailers such as yourself.

There is one thing I have learned from the internet though, people don't follow manufacturer's directions, and then complain that their products are no good, and don't work.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Granted, you know what brands I represent, but I'm not here to promote specific brands given the fact that I am not a sponsor of the forum. Having said that though, I can use any product I want, and could also easily get sponsored by brands to use their products given our reputation and worldwide reach. I choose however to use products that first and foremost are easy to use, and they are high performing. We sell what we use...not the other way around.

There are other companies out there that produce great coatings with ease of use. But unfortunately for consumer DIY'ers (and detailers), there are far more "me-too" products, and private-labeled pop-up brands all of the time. Additionally, the amount of overly hyped, and just plain bad information being thrown around by manufacturers, and unknowing detailers are disheartening.

While I may not have given you the exact information or answer you were looking for, hopefully at least you get some better insight to the industry, and to my thought processes. Thanks!

I don't normally "do" forums, so I'm not sure what you're even referring to. Having said that though, it does seem that you're implying that I'm attempting something underhanded? I just took delivery of a ZL1 1LE two days ago, and have spent a little time on here trying to pick up some information on the car, and to help me plan out what I want to talk about and educate in the video series on it we have planned to do. And when I see an opportunity for education, I am going to participate as necessary without coming across as trying to advertise or promote without actually paying the forum accordingly.

I have spent the last 10 years educating not only the professional detailing industry, but DIY'ers alike. Hundreds of articles and videos later, and after 5 years of operating arguably the most prestigious detailing academy in the world, I have built a very solid reputation for educating in a way that cuts through hype, and providing solid, useful information.

The sharing of quality knowledge isn't directly related to post counts...

If you see my answer above, you'll get a better idea of what I like and don't like in coatings and other products. Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can answer any other questions.

It's all about washing / drying techniques, as well as the dreaded "wiping down at car shows" syndrome. I have even produced a video entitled "Show Cars: Why their paint looks so bad".

I think you'll really like the videos. The plan right now is for 6 of them...Introduction, Performance Modifications, Paint Polishing / Correction, Paint Protection Film, Coatings, and Final Thoughts. They will be focusing on the thought processes of each topic, education on why, addressing myths, and explaining to enthusiasts on how they can get the most out of everything. The focus will be on education and processes...not just product commercials! We have the very first video shoot next weekend, and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get through editing and then on the publishing schedule (we're usually publishing 2-3 videos per week).
Thanks for the clarification. I'll check out the vids when released.

Most importantly, enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I’m curious as to what exactly you find PITA about coatings?
Just the tedious application of it...can't be bothered and really don't need it.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #33
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I have coated two cars, and kept them meticulous with the coating. They did all the things the coating say they’re going to do. However I just am not gonna spend the time to do it again , because I can damn near get the same gloss results with the silica products; car pro essence polish and reload. I don’t need for something to last for years and I’m garaged in a great climate for cars, the car is rarely really dirty. It just doesn’t take as much time and effort, and the car is swirl free at all times. I use a clean, laundered waffle weave towel to dry it, and I’ve never scratched my car. I don’t mind wiping on reload every 3 to 4 months, And I’m certainly not gonna pay an installer hundreds or thousands to wipe on a coating, It only takes about 20- 30 minutes. Once you buy the polisher, which I use on the car annually, the products are only about 30 bucks, for a couple years worth. Honestly, it looks like this rain or shine, all the Time, dirt just flies off it:
Agree 1000%...this is my view on coatings as well.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #34
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
just did mine about 3 months ago with c quartz uk edition, did all the steps, washed the car last week and it looks like its starting come off or fade off,

it was a 2 day 5 step process a ton of work for sure I, hope it last more then 3-4 months

how long should it last ?

maybe I should re apply reload ?
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
Todd_Cooperider

Drives: 2022 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Just the tedious application of it...can't be bothered and really don't need it.
It's only tedious if you're using the wrong products, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarstingray View Post
just did mine about 3 months ago with c quartz uk edition, did all the steps, washed the car last week and it looks like its starting come off or fade off,

it was a 2 day 5 step process a ton of work for sure I, hope it last more then 3-4 months

You'd need to reach out to them on that one, or somebody who applies that brand for a living and who has a lot of experience with it.
Todd_Cooperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #36
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarstingray View Post

You should apply reload, Carpro will tell you that in their vids.....

Should last couple years depending on your use/climate
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #37
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
thanks glen, ill order another bottle of reload
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote