Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Looks really good but I can’t help but think there is an easier way than 10 layers. I once did 3 costs of zaino and could see into another dimension through the paint.

Also with all that hard work I would not be using any towels from Walmart.
Agitation is agitation. I try to fold there thickest Platnum microfiber twice and the soap is the lubricant...its all good.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
The point is to get as much carnauba cured on as possible, then seal it in with a polymer.
I'm not sure that will work. Standard operating procedure is to put the polymer sealant on the paint, and then the wax on the sealant. If the sealant is on top of the wax, it is going to come off when the wax does.

BUT, I am ALL FOR experimentation, thinking outside the box, and using products for purposes that they were not intended in the course of learning.

All that matters is how YOU think it looks.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #17
Krowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I'm not sure that will work. Standard operating procedure is to put the polymer sealant on the paint, and then the wax on the sealant. If the sealant is on top of the wax, it is going to come off when the wax does.

BUT, I am ALL FOR experimentation, thinking outside the box, and using products for purposes that they were not intended in the course of learning.

All that matters is how YOU think it looks.
The meguiars ultimate polymer paste is a wax that is made of synthetic materials instead of a large percentage of carnauba. The synthetic materials behave like a sealant would; however, it does not last as long.

I have used meguiars ultimate polymer paste wax for almost 8 years and it is fantastic. Meguiars polymer usually lasts for 3 to 4 months.

My approach is to be able to use polish or rubbing compound when needed for scratches, this cant be done with a real sealant, ceramic coating or other more permanent solution.

The meguiars ultimate paste wax does not give the depth collinite does and collinite does not give the longevity of protection that meguairs does. That is why I would not use meguiars ultimate paste wax first. Collinite is very very hard and if not exposed to the elements, one coat may last for 1 month.

On my other vehicle, the meguiars and collinite bond very well together provided they are not done at the same time.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I think you might have missed Kirks point (maybe??):
-if there is a layer of Collinite between the paint anything on top of it....when the Collinite starts to “wipe/dissipate” off the paint....anything on top of it will go with it. For example, you can apply a 2-year ceramic coating on top of carnuba wax.....and no matter how durable the top layer is.....it’s coming off when the base wax starts to come off.

This stuff is fun to discuss and experiment with, and your car looks great in the pics regardless (and even better in person I’m sure). I’m also guilty of WANTING to rub my paint, clean etc more than I probably need to.

All this wax talk is making me want to try one of several higher end waxes I have sitting and have never tried. Wonder how that will look/effect my ceramic coating and Reload that’s on the car. Hmmmmm lol
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
-if there is a layer of Collinite between the paint anything on top of it....when the Collinite starts to “wipe/dissipate” off the paint....anything on top of it will go with it. For example, you can apply a 2-year ceramic coating on top of carnuba wax.....and no matter how durable the top layer is.....it’s coming off when the base wax starts to come off.

This stuff is fun to discuss and experiment with, and your car looks great in the pics regardless (and even better in person I’m sure). I’m also guilty of WANTING to rub my paint, clean etc more than I probably need to.

All this wax talk is making me want to try one of several higher end waxes I have sitting and have never tried. Wonder how that will look/effect my ceramic coating and Reload that’s on the car. Hmmmmm lol
Rubbing wax on your coating risks swirling up the coating. Whenever I want to play with some product, I try it out on a neighbor/family members vehicle.

I don't remember which Collinite that OP is using. I have used plenty 845 and 915 in my business. It does last longer than most waxes.

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
I'm quite sure there are; however, I wonder why I keep getting complements at red lights and at cars and coffee in West Palm Beach?

I keep getting responses form other car enthusiast and ZL1 owners saying "it looks like you just got it off the show room floor".. this after driving 60 miles for the car show.

I guess the Collinite is doing something right....
I am sure it looks great...just saying that there are even better products that produce crazy amounts of gloss and last a long time, while being very easy and not time consuming...I used to bust my butt off years ago with all types of waxes, Silica products are light years ahead of waxes and the gloss is just crazy.

If you like Collinite that is all the matters, just my 2 cents.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
Krowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post

The base wax closest to the clear is a carnauba that does not last 3 months right?

Lets say after the 3rd application, the 1st application starts to dissipate and layers 2 and 3 are about to go with layer 1 in certain areas of the car.

You see, the wax does not dissipate everywhere at the same time; therefore, when coat 4 comes in it will cover areas where the first application has dissipated, extending the properties of the carnauba. Subsequent applications of carnauba, until the 10th coat, will constantly re-coat surfaces. Upon the 10th application, the car is polished and the polymer wax is applied. Polymer wax forms a chain of bonds that's stronger than carnauba, the polymer wax is much more heat resistant, and mineral resistant.

Finally, its all about maintenance of twice a month alternating between the polymer wax and carnauba that replaces dissipated areas.

All I have to do is wash and spray wax when not using carnauba or polymer wax... hence you have created a wax layered paint with a deep carnauba color and polymer wax shine.

...and it is so easy to put on a take off at this point!! no more than 1.5 hours!!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #22
Krowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Rubbing wax on your coating risks swirling up the coating. Whenever I want to play with some product, I try it out on a neighbor/family members vehicle.

I don't remember which Collinite that OP is using. I have used plenty 845 and 915 in my business. It does last longer than most waxes.

The blue can is #915...that is what I am using to layer...the polymer wax I will be using is the meguiars ultimate synthetic polymer.