Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Crizmotek

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Clear wrap coverage areas

I'm going to be wrapping my SS 1LE in a week or so, just wondering what areas get the most rock chips. I don't want to wrap areas that rarely get chips, in an effort to save money. See the attached image. Anything I need to add or remove from what is marked? Thanks.

Attached Images

Crizmotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
I suggest you get those side mirrors wrapped, unless that is a black wrap and not paint ofc.

The front portion of your front fenders is susceptible for sure, however you'd need to wrap the whole fender for it to look nice so its up to you. Your hood will get some chips as well but the areas you have highlighted will prevent 95% of the rock chips.

I personally have my Whole front end wrapped in Xpel. I HIGHLY suggest you get some wrap inside your door handle cups, you'll thank me later

Also you can skip the clear wrap behind your rear tires and just get some Rock Guards from ZL1 Addons. Much cheaper option and they provide a nice look.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Only Rick chip on my non wrapped car after 2k miles is on an A pillar.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
Crizmotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
I suggest you get those side mirrors wrapped, unless that is a black wrap and not paint ofc.

The front portion of your front fenders is susceptible for sure, however you'd need to wrap the whole fender for it to look nice so its up to you. Your hood will get some chips as well but the areas you have highlighted will prevent 95% of the rock chips.

I personally have my Whole front end wrapped in Xpel. I HIGHLY suggest you get some wrap inside your door handle cups, you'll thank me later

Also you can skip the clear wrap behind your rear tires and just get some Rock Guards from ZL1 Addons. Much cheaper option and they provide a nice look.
Thanks for the info. I actually already have the ZL1 addons rock guards. Do you think its worth doing the whole rocker panel or just the area in front of the rear tires?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post

I had the entire rockers covered just like your photo shows after they were repainted.

I also had my rear bumper repainted, and the paint seems softer and scratches very easily. The scratches are from getting things in and out of the trunk and even though I know about it, I seem to add to it. I'm thinking about getting a clear wrap on the part right below the trunk.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Here's what I have covered in paint protection film.

The area outlined in white is where film was originally applied behind the rear wheels. I later went back and had film applied to the entire rear bumper and diffusor. I did this more to protect against marring from road dirt than to protect against paint chips.

I do worry about chips on the A pilars and the very front portion of the roof. There's not a good place to break the film on the A pillars without seeing an edge. At some point I plan to cover the roof with a film that gives the appearance of carbon fiber. My installer says the film is not yet ready for prime time so that's why my roof is currently unprotected.

I should also point out that I have ZL1Addons rock guards on the front fenders. I don't have them on the back because of the way the lower edge of ZL1 diffuser sticks out passed the fender (creates a gap). They definitely reduce the amount of rocks hitting the rear quarter panel.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Thumbs up

I basically have the same as hawk02 on my 1LE SS, I did not cover the hood, and I have the smaller white L area behind the rear tires.
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
yep. Got all mine done, with the exception of behind the rear tire. Even did my ZL1 rockers and my GM front splitter. After it all, I was still anal and purchased the ZL1 rock guards from zl1 addons. couldn't be more happier.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Hawk02 or willwaxu, if u don't mind telling me, how much did you pay for your wrap?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crizmotek View Post
Thanks for the info. I actually already have the ZL1 addons rock guards. Do you think its worth doing the whole rocker panel or just the area in front of the rear tires?
My car has just a partial wrap on the rear rockers. I can definitely see some chips/scratches on the clear bra from rocks but nothing on the actual paint itself. If you ware worried about seeing a seam then do the whole thing, if you dont care and want to save some money then just do a partial in the high impact area.

I think my car actually came with a clear on that area from the factory so I was content with just a partial wrap.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My car is the same as Hawk02's plus the entire windshield surround (A pillars and painted cross piece at the top).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hawk02 or willwaxu, if u don't mind telling me, how much did you pay for your wrap?
The original film application cost $2400. That does not include the cost for stage 1 paint correction and two applications of ceramic coating I also had done. The addition of the rear bumper and diffuser was $750.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #13
Crizmotek

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have multiple chips where the windshield meets the roof. Also some on rear quarters. Get rock guards asap.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote