Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Maintaing Unknown Coating

So I've had my car for around 3 months now and I have washed it 11ish times. I have been using all new supplies with the two bucket technique to carry me over until I got everything I needed to start Glen's methods (Essence / Reload). Now that I'm this far in it's clear to me the car is already coated with something. I picked it up with a little over 300 miles from a dealership and water is still beading up like crazy, it's super smooth to the touch and it pretty much sprays off clean. So the question, can I just go forward maintaining the coating every 8 to 12 weeks with Reload? I know typically you should stick with the same product family but I do not believe there is a way to find out what coating was used.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Try a test spot, but my guess is you’ll be fine. But why bother doing anything if it looks good? Don’t get addicted to this detailing thing, many times it’s not worth it If you’ve got a good gloss. Go drive the car and have fun

Dealers don’t put on real coatings, they usually are a polymer that can be washed off with a good slug of Dawn dishwashing detergent.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Thanks for the input, I've spent my fair share of Saturdays detailing and was really interested in trying out your ways for time purposes, thanks for sharing all that. Pretty sure this wasn't the dealer. Previous owner traded my car and a Corvette on an NSX so I assumed he was a car guy with money to blow and probably had them coated. Wanted to make sure I did what I could to make it last without knowing what it was coated with.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Then just reload will be fine, not the essence though....there is another essence for coatings....i’d Skip it and see how to reload goes alone.

Essence for coatings
https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-essence-plus.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If the reload streaks or hazes slightly, you may have a really strong hydrophobic coating. Cut it 3:1 or 4:1 with distilled water and try again.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I used only reload on mine and it came out great. Shiny and good water bead. I have doubts about the 4-6 month claim though. Will put another coat on this weekend.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote