Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Whats the point? Just get the overkill supercharger for your lgx.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Is it possible to swap a ATS-V engine into a 2016 camaro? Needing some thoughts on this..I searched in web and haven't found much..
We can do it, we have a 580whp LF4 engine out of an ATS V here that we just swapped an LT4 into as well with our X900 package I've cut a 1.51 60' on my LF4, was first in the 10s with it, a best of 10.8 and trapping 127mph if I recall.

LF4 Engine, trans, harness for sale $9999 shipped

WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #17
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL13 View Post
Probably the wrong place to get an unbiased answer; this forum seems to be very anti-LF4 for some reason. That being said, yes, just upgrading to an SS is a much cheaper, less-painful alternative, unless you REALLY like F/I.

The great thing about the LF4 is that with just a tune, you'd be pushing around 500 whp. But yeah, your smarter alternatives are to A. Just upgrade to an SS or B. Just get an ATS-V if you really want the LF4.
I wouldn't say that.. I have a 3.6 and I too agree that it would be far more cost effective and rewarding to just upgrade to an SS.. You would be a pioneer in the arena of swapping an LF4 into a V6 6th Gen and the costs will rack up QUICK where as for MUCH less money you get a car with more power (stock for stock), much more reliable, AND a warranty.. cars are fun but there does exist such a thing called practicality. The only thing the LF4 really has in advantage to an SS is the "wow" factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
We can do it, we have a 580whp LF4 engine out of an ATS V here that we just swapped an LT4 into as well with our X900 package I've cut a 1.51 60' on my LF4, was first in the 10s with it, a best of 10.8 and trapping 127mph if I recall.

LF4 Engine, trans, harness for sale $9999 shipped

That actually seems like a very reasonable deal for what you get.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #18
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Try it if you have the funds, that is what hot rodding is about...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'd rather go the other way -- swap an LT1 into an ATS-V sedan! It's a much more practical car!
The shorter block of the V6 is probably a better fit for that car as far as handling dynamics and a car actually intended to run turbo usually has good mod potential and you can get significant increases by just simply mods like tunes and exhaust, vs. NA cars that need a whole lot more mods to usually achieve the same % increase in whp/wtq. Think GT-R, etc. Good twin-turbo setups are usually some of the best base-setups. Yeah yeah, for 7+grand you can put a supercharger on a V8, but that's the point, you'll spend a lot more money to get gains.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I opened this thread hoping to see someone had swapped an LT1 into the ATS-V!

I would own a ATS-V right now if it had the LT1 in it instead of the TT v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'd rather go the other way -- swap an LT1 into an ATS-V sedan! It's a much more practical car!
Completely agree. was just telling my brother last night that if GM made a LT1 version of the ATS V Sedan I'd be one of the first in line to get one. Literally the only real complaint I have with my 1LE is the small size/passenger capacity (granted i bought it to use on track, guess I just want to have my cake and eat it too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Where can I find more info on that swap? Sounds pretty cool. Would love to see pics/vids if they are available
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Horrible idea...
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #22
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Autos these days do not have standard frames, the aluminum cross sections and engine mounts. and cradles are constructed for that setup. There is a frame jig for each engine setup. Gone are the days of common motor mounts and trans supports. Not even talking about the computer and the wiring harness switches that would have to be made. There is no plug and play in the new car world.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #23
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The shorter block of the V6 is probably a better fit for that car as far as handling dynamics and a car actually intended to run turbo usually has good mod potential and you can get significant increases by just simply mods like tunes and exhaust, vs. NA cars that need a whole lot more mods to usually achieve the same % increase in whp/wtq. Think GT-R, etc. Good twin-turbo setups are usually some of the best base-setups. Yeah yeah, for 7+grand you can put a supercharger on a V8, but that's the point, you'll spend a lot more money to get gains.
Several journalists reviewing the ATS-V pointed out that the LT1 would have been better. The acceleration #s are on top of each other, but the transient response of the NA V8 is better.

The shorter block is offset by the higher center of gravity (significantly taller & wider at the top end). With that and the required charge air cooler setup in the front, I'm not so sure the LF4 would help in the handling department.

I agree with you on the ease of modification though, with a calibration change only, though I do wonder how much GM left on the table before running into mechanical limits.

I'd be interested to see the full dimensions and weight of the LT1 and LF4 (both with all needed cooling included).

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
I remember seeing an interview with a Caddy engineer and he said they didn't like the weight distribution of the LT1 in the ATS-V- so obviously they tried it.

At a local "Find new roads" event a couple years ago, I asked a camaro powertrain engineer if the camaro would get the ATSV motor. He said no, the only turbo motor would be the 4cyl. I told him they were missing out on selling product to the FI/high elevation guys . . .

I think the V6tt swap into the SS is a cool idea.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #25
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I love the idea. I hope you actually go through with it in spite of all the nay sayers.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Autos these days do not have standard frames, the aluminum cross sections and engine mounts. and cradles are constructed for that setup. There is a frame jig for each engine setup. Gone are the days of common motor mounts and trans supports. Not even talking about the computer and the wiring harness switches that would have to be made. There is no plug and play in the new car world.
this is untrue for the new shared alpha platforms, with the exception of the transmission only being used for the LF4 without an interchangeable bell housing. so, we had to use the LT4 crate engine's A8 with the engine to drop it in the ATS V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
I remember seeing an interview with a Caddy engineer and he said they didn't like the weight distribution of the LT1 in the ATS-V- so obviously they tried it.

At a local "Find new roads" event a couple years ago, I asked a camaro powertrain engineer if the camaro would get the ATSV motor. He said no, the only turbo motor would be the 4cyl. I told him they were missing out on selling product to the FI/high elevation guys . . .

I think the V6tt swap into the SS is a cool idea.
The LF4 and LT4 are within 20lbs of each other, the LT1 is surely lighter than the LF4; however, it likely sits a little further forward. While this is likely the reason they mentioned, the ATS V seemed to be very purpose built with the LF4 engine for their stepping stone into the GT3 class racing.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #27
Kgoeb

Drives: 18 1LE, 12 Regal GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
You have the 3.6L V-6 engine, so it would make no sense to buy an ATS V engine to swap when you can bolt on a twin turbo system to your 3.6L V-6 engine.
There are many differences inside the motor in order to handle the power and boost. Titanium connecting rods come to mind initially, but there are others. Bolting that kind of power onto a NA 3.6 would likely end in a showering of rods out the sides of the block...especially since you'd have to have a tuner who can get it perfect.

If you want more power, but an SS or get a used ATSV, as already mentioned.
Kgoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 AM   #28
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
As true as that is I wonder what would be the cost difference between them switching to an SS or an ATS V, doing a motor swap, or building up the internals on the LGX engine to take two turbochargers.

If someone is selling the motor for $10,000 then you would have to consider the cost of getting it in his Camaro and getting everything to work. Ultimately it might be cheaper for them to build up the motor and bolting on a procharger of sorts.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote