Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #281
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I don't like the fact that people are so hung up on "muscle cars" (spoiler alert: the original camaro was a pony car to begin with) that people get so upset about cylinder count and not performance/mpgs/cost... but that's just me.
Let's fix that for you: MPG. Stop trying to sell people on the 4 cylinder's performance as it's going to be a step down.

And it's at least hypocritical to defend a cylinder count change by pointing out how neanderthalic it is to be concerned about cylinder count. If cylinders don't matter, then leave the GD car alone.

It's Orwellian to design your "performance" cars (does that feel better, nitpickers?) around fuel mileage. Why have perfornance cars at all then?
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #282
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Because the current market and CAFE standards demand fuel efficiency. Simple as that.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #283
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Let's fix that for you: MPG. Stop trying to sell people on the 4 cylinder's performance as it's going to be a step down.

And it's at least hypocritical to defend a cylinder count change by pointing out how neanderthalic it is to be concerned about cylinder count. If cylinders don't matter, then leave the GD car alone.

It's Orwellian to design your "performance" cars (does that feel better, nitpickers?) around fuel mileage. Why have perfornance cars at all then?
Easy, some people buy the Camaro because of performance and some because of the looks and other factors.

Obviously not all of those want the V8, or the V6 wouldn't be the main seller.

Adding a third option to that (fourth really counting the ZL1, but I referred to cylinder count) cannot in any way hinder anyone that doesn't himself want that cylinder count!

I bet there are people out there that are sold on the whole CAFE thing, etc (not saying they're right, not saying they're wrong!) and the only thing keeping them from buying a Camaro is that it doesn't come with the 4-banger.

Good riddance, let them have their car then! More sales => cheaper manufacturing price => cheaper car in the end.

I want the V8, I buy the V8. But I don't care if someone else buys a turbo 4 or whatever else. Let them make their own decision.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #284
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Again, it's not like they're canning the V8. It will still be available.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #285
Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Ex-act-ly.

// Stefan
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #286
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:

The Camaro was never considered a Muscle Car. The Camaro was built to compete with the Mustang. They were called pony cars for a reason. It is fine if you have the mentality of I only like V8's in my cars. Besides its a buyers choice and that happens to be yours. I just don't like it when people associate a Muscle Car with everything that has a V8 in it.

Two completely different cars.

Chevelle = Muscle Car (will never be considered a sports car)
Camaro = Pony Car - Sports Car (Will never be considered a Muscle Car)

It was the Big Block / Sedan type cars that were considered Muscle Cars.

I would rather drive in the SCCA than the NHRA, but that is the beauty of choice.
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #287
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
All right, doesn't seem to concern anyone else (but my posts do), so I guess I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your 4 cylinders.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #288
Blast

You say that full of spite as if we want 4 cyls, that's the bit where you're mistaken.

The difference is that we don't care if others get their 4 cyls, you don't want those people to have what they want.

// Stefan
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #289
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I wouldn't worry about it, I really don't see them abanding the V8 performance anytime soon..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #290
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
All right, doesn't seem to concern anyone else (but my posts do), so I guess I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your 4 cylinders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
You say that full of spite as if we want 4 cyls, that's the bit where you're mistaken.

The difference is that we don't care if others get their 4 cyls, you don't want those people to have what they want.

// Stefan
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #291
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
For the same money?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #292
Blast

I don't think the prices for Gen6 have been set yet, so it's impossible for us to know, and if for some reason the prices HAVE been set we just have to wait for them to leak.

And that's with or without any new engine(s).

// Stefan
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #293
Buckeye
Buckeye

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Perhaps look at it this way.

Offer a base model with a turbo 2.0 for those people that want a Camaro,but are on a budget and want good gas milage. It would also help with the corporate CAFE requirements.

Offer a up-level Camaro with a V6 either NA or FI for a mid-level performance option.

Offer a ZL1 class Camaro using the new DI LT4, either NA or FI.

With these variations, selling Turbo 2's, and V6's will help bring the CAFE milage up towards where it needs to be and allows GM to contiue to produce smaller volumes of cars with the real HP of a DI LT4.

For those that want a Camaro for apperance reasons, they have the Turbo 2 at a low price point,and for those of us that want a Camaro for performance, they can still offer the LT4 V8.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #294
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.
At one point [not too long ago] GM was [and maybe still is] making crate engine from this 2.0 block with a single turbo that was making 1000 HP for drag racing. Yes, I saw the 1000hp with my own eyes, straight from GM catalog. This 2.0 block is one hell of block to make big power.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro