Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
How to get an oil sample out of an LT1

Ok, I feel SUPER dumb right now..

I've used Blackstone for oil analysis for years (probably going. back 15 years now..). I have a little hand held vacuum pumps that draws oil into oneof their sample bottles. It uses 1/4" tubing.

I can't see to get the tubing all the way down the dipstick tube - its hitting a block of some kind after about the same depth as the dipstick itself. The dipstick obviously goes all the way in no problem..

This is the annoying thing - I've already done one oil sample on this thing after I bought it w/ 4700 miles on it. I don't remember if I went through the dipstick for the sample or just filled a sample bottle up while draining.

Sooo... those of you doing oil samples - how are you doing it via the dipstick? Is 1/4" tubing just too big or is there some other trick I don't know?
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:58 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I've just been getting it from the drain plug during an oil change. I get the engine up to operating temp. Pull the drain plug. I let it flow just a bit then I catch about 1/2 quart into a Painter's Pail container. Pour enough oil into the sample bottle and send it.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2024, 05:28 AM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
I do it when I change the oil. You could use a very small tube and a vacuum device and push it down the dip stick tube but that seems like the harder way to do it.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:48 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
What is the quantity requirement? Getting it at the oil change is easiest. If you wanted to get it before the change you could also loosen the plug and let it drip for a while, without fully removing the plug. This will go faster if oil is warm.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #5
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
What is the quantity requirement? Getting it at the oil change is easiest. If you wanted to get it before the change you could also loosen the plug and let it drip for a while, without fully removing the plug. This will go faster if oil is warm.
Its a few ounces, like 3-4'ish. That's a good idea to loosen the drain plug.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM   #6
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I do it when I change the oil. You could use a very small tube and a vacuum device and push it down the dip stick tube but that seems like the harder way to do it.
That little vaccum pump is the what I'm using, specifically this thing -> https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/

Its worked great on a C5 ZO6, Focus ST, Audi S3 & S4, LLY Duramax.. I just can't get the damn tube all the way down the dispstick tube. Its almost like there is a check valve / flapper door at the bottom of the tube that prevents the 1/4" line from going further down the tube or something.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:21 PM   #7
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
On all my cars I generally grab a sample during oil changes - but there are times whenI want to grab a sample without a change, plus honestly its SOOO much easier to just stuff a tube down the dipstick tube and suck out 3 -4 oz of oil than the hassle of jacking the car up etc..
Old 03-03-2024, 12:54 PM   #8
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Am I the only weirdo that pulled a sample from the drain plug without changing the oil? I found it pretty easy and mess free actually.

I've only done it once when I was curious what it looked liked before the oil change was necessary, it's easy so I figured why not.

I use ramps, I could see if you had to jack the car up the vacuum out the dipstick could be easier. With the ramps though it's just so easy to do it underneath
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:20 PM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I used to collect the sample after pulling g the oil plug but when I switch oil analysis companies they had a small vacuum pump to pull through the dip stick with plastic tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:59 PM   #10
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Blackstone has smaller tubing for their sample pumps.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ick-draw-pump/

Quote:
The tubing fits most car and truck dipsticks. Cummins engines, however, have a smaller diameter for the dipstick. We have thinner tubing you can request if you have a Cummins or any other engine that won’t take 1/4″ tubing.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:03 PM   #11
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
Blackstone has smaller tubing for their sample pumps.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ick-draw-pump/
Ooh! I missed that. I'll shoot them an email and see what dia tube they have that's smaller.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:06 PM   #12
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
Am I the only weirdo that pulled a sample from the drain plug without changing the oil? I found it pretty easy and mess free actually.

I've only done it once when I was curious what it looked liked before the oil change was necessary, it's easy so I figured why not.

I use ramps, I could see if you had to jack the car up the vacuum out the dipstick could be easier. With the ramps though it's just so easy to do it underneath

We have tight garage quarters - so jacking the car up means moving 2 cars and possibly a pickup truck out of the way. I get as far as "I should move the first car" and go F*ck it I"ll do it another day.. LOL.

The depths of my laziness are nearly bottomless
Old 03-03-2024, 11:52 PM   #13
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
We have tight garage quarters - so jacking the car up means moving 2 cars and possibly a pickup truck out of the way. I get as far as "I should move the first car" and go F*ck it I"ll do it another day.. LOL.

The depths of my laziness are nearly bottomless
LOL Fair enough! I could see that changing ones decision on this topic!
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:59 AM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I get the taking it from the topside in your situation but also it's easy to drop the oil filter and get what you need.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote