Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2024, 06:46 PM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
New Blend Door Twist?

Believe me, I'm as sick of this subject as you are. I just wanted to ask a question in a new place without searching through multiple page threads.

I had the classic, cool on the driver's side and hot on the passenger side issue and pulled my blend door. It was broken at the actuator just like all of them. 2 1/2 days later, I replaced it with a nice metal door. I have the same problem still. Hot AND cold. Has anyone else experienced this AFTER replacing the door?

Edit: it goes from hot to really hot and almost cool. With no a/c. And I can hear it working. As it is now, it will never blow cold a/c.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:00 PM   #2
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Jeez! Sorry you are experiencing this. I am going through something as well but not like yours. Ordered a new metal blend door just to keep on hand if needed. But will be taking it in to find out if I'm low on freon and have a leak.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:31 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Check the freon lately? The high side port uses a rubber ball valve instead of using a schrader valve and leaks like crazy. GM actually recommends replacing the port every year because they are so prone to leaking.

I went through the same issue and thought mine was the blend door but instead the high side port had leaked all the freon out so I would start there first.

Just copy/pasted my response to another thread with the same issue a couple threads down. Anytime someone posts about ac issues, I always tell them to check this first before anything else.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:26 AM   #4
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
When I did the 1LE last year. It did the same. I had to have the actuator positions relearned. The shop I worked at had one of those nice scan tools, hooked it up and took less than 5 minutes to do. Then was fine from then on.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Try simply disconnecting the battery for 5 mins. It will reset all the modules.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Check the freon lately? The high side port uses a rubber ball valve instead of using a schrader valve and leaks like crazy. GM actually recommends replacing the port every year because they are so prone to leaking.

I went through the same issue and thought mine was the blend door but instead the high side port had leaked all the freon out so I would start there first.

Just copy/pasted my response to another thread with the same issue a couple threads down. Anytime someone posts about ac issues, I always tell them to check this first before anything else.

^^This also happened to me a while after replacing my blend door. Found out it was a high side service port leak. I replaced the high side with a Dorman schrader valve instead of the crappy leak-prone OEM valve, and also replaced the low side with a GM valve. Been great since. It had the same symptoms as Moto-Mojo has.

I also ordered the special socket required to remove the ports without damaging the lines. Made it nice and easy.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:33 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
^^This also happened to me a while after replacing my blend door. Found out it was a high side service port leak. I replaced the high side with a Dorman schrader valve instead of the crappy leak-prone OEM valve, and also replaced the low side with a GM valve. Been great since. It had the same symptoms as Moto-Mojo has.

I also ordered the special socket required to remove the ports without damaging the lines. Made it nice and easy.

Did you have to take it in for service to do this or is this a DIY that we all can do at home without the risk of leaking freon?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:25 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo

Thanks for obliging me, one and all. Here's a few things.

Currently, this issue of hot on one side and cool(er) on the other is WITHOUT ANY A/C on. It's just normal outside air. Obviously, that concerns me that if I had the A/C on it would be pretty hot on the pass side.

Coz3z3 - this is what I'm hoping I can have done. It's way more hot than cold, it's January, so I will probably wait to get it recalibrated. But GREAT info.

PaulsSS - I did that twice. I think maybe I mounted the actuator in the wrong hot v cold position. Is that possible...anyone?

Thanks, again.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:30 PM   #9
Moto-Mojo

Oh, the other MAJOR concern is, if I were to remove the actuator again (that plugs into the blend door via an adapter) and that SOB door came unengaged with the pilot hole in the back and fell in the hole, it would be a total effing redo! Anyone who did the hack knows what I'm talking about. That would send me over the edge.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:24 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Did you have to take it in for service to do this or is this a DIY that we all can do at home without the risk of leaking freon?
If your system is charged and contains freon, it is not really a diy job as it requires vacuuming the freon out before you replace the port. Remember the high side of the system is under high pressure and removing the port without doing this will cause a pretty catastrophic and possibly deadly accident.

If your system has already leaked everything out and is empty, then yes you can diy.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:04 AM   #11
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Thanks for obliging me, one and all. Here's a few things.

Currently, this issue of hot on one side and cool(er) on the other is WITHOUT ANY A/C on. It's just normal outside air. Obviously, that concerns me that if I had the A/C on it would be pretty hot on the pass side.

Coz3z3 - this is what I'm hoping I can have done. It's way more hot than cold, it's January, so I will probably wait to get it recalibrated. But GREAT info.

PaulsSS - I did that twice. I think maybe I mounted the actuator in the wrong hot v cold position. Is that possible...anyone?

Thanks, again.
I would try to get it done sooner than later. If it's wrong, and you're adjusting it constantly, it could break the motor or something else there again. I don't think you could mount the actuator wrong, the 3 holes only line up one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Oh, the other MAJOR concern is, if I were to remove the actuator again (that plugs into the blend door via an adapter) and that SOB door came unengaged with the pilot hole in the back and fell in the hole, it would be a total effing redo! Anyone who did the hack knows what I'm talking about. That would send me over the edge.
That I don't know. When I did mine, I did it by removing the dash and all that. I didn't do the hack.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:28 AM   #12
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
I would try to get it done sooner than later. If it's wrong, and you're adjusting it constantly, it could break the motor or something else there again. I don't think you could mount the actuator wrong, the 3 holes only line up one way.

That I don't know. When I did mine, I did it by removing the dash and all that. I didn't do the hack.
How long that take you to do it correctly and what was your thoughts on the experience?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:29 PM   #13
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
How long that take you to do it correctly and what was your thoughts on the experience?
Took a weekend for me. I've taken the dash out before though. I put a HUD in that car and my Z/28 so I was no stranger to getting the dash out. That windshield bolt sucked. I cut it with a Dremel and it came right out. Just took a minute. I didn't realize that the box the blend door sits in was plastic welded shut. So I wanted to be careful with that so I could melt it shut again.
I had the new door in and ready to go in a day. The next day was putting it all back together.

I just saw that post about the aluminum blend door though....so that sucks lol. So I'll probably buy one of those shortly and have it eady for if it happens again. And one for the Z.
Overall, I'd do it again. And I'll do the Z/28 if it happens on that.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Try this, start the car and warm up the engine then hold the rpms at 1500 or so. Does that even the heat side to side?
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote