Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
What Visability Issue? (rant)

I have yet to read a review or watch a vlog of the Gen6 where the reviewer doesn't have to go on for 5 minutes about how terrible the outward visibility is on the Camaro. I don't get it! I've owned dozens of cars and driven many more than that, and I just don't think the visibility is that bad in the Camaro.

My most recent 2012 Grand Sport Corvette was significantly harder to see out of and the 2008 Infinity G-37 I traded for my Gen5 Camaro didn't seem like it was noticeably better than the Camaro.

I drove both the Gen5 and Gen6 and feel perfectly comfortable with the visibility in both! What's the big deal? Sometimes I think these automobile reviewers feed off of each other and feel obligated to howl about the same issues so they don't come across as lacking in their review.

It's just like the back seat room! Every reviewer feels a need to climb in the back seat and demonstrate the lack of leg and head room. It's a two door sports car for crying out loud! It was never intended to be a minivan...get over it already!

I read more than one review where they called the Gen6 interior cramped and/or claustrophobic! Are you kidding me? The same reviewer will climb into a Miata or an SLK and never say a word about the fact you can't even move in either of their interiors, nor would you have any place to put your jacket unless you are wearing it.

Please, if your going to write a review about the Camaro, review it against what it is designed to be... a straight up hot rod muscle/sports car for those that are young at heart and don't care that they can't fit the family in the back seat or that it feels more like an exotic sports car from the inside than it does a minivan!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Well your opinion is different than others that's the way the world works. I owned a 13 ZL1 for 2 years, and the more I drove it the more I hated sitting in a hole looking up out the windows(felt like a cave}. Backing out of a busy quickmart was impossible. Me and the wife like to road trip and the visibility is lacking. sold the car.....So I appreciate the people who review these cars to point out the good with the bad.....
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I have yet to read a review or watch a vlog of the Gen6 where the reviewer doesn't have to go on for 5 minutes about how terrible the outward visibility is on the Camaro. I don't get it! I've owned dozens of cars and driven many more than that, and I just don't think the visibility is that bad in the Camaro.

My most recent 2012 Grand Sport Corvette was significantly harder to see out of and the 2008 Infinity G-37 I traded for my Gen5 Camaro didn't seem like it was noticeably better than the Camaro.

I drove both the Gen5 and Gen6 and feel perfectly comfortable with the visibility in both! What's the big deal? Sometimes I think these automobile reviewers feed off of each other and feel obligated to howl about the same issues so they don't come across as lacking in their review.

It's just like the back seat room! Every reviewer feels a need to climb in the back seat and demonstrate the lack of leg and head room. It's a two door sports car for crying out loud! It was never intended to be a minivan...get over it already!

I read more than one review where they called the Gen6 interior cramped and/or claustrophobic! Are you kidding me? The same reviewer will climb into a Miata or an SLK and never say a word about the fact you can't even move in either of their interiors, nor would you have any place to put your jacket unless you are wearing it.

Please, if your going to write a review about the Camaro, review it against what it is designed to be... a straight up hot rod muscle/sports car for those that are young at heart and don't care that they can't fit the family in the back seat or that it feels more like an exotic sports car from the inside than it does a minivan!
I wouldn't get too butt hurt about it. Reviewers are supposed to find things they don't like about the car they are reviewing. Since everything else is pretty awesome, the visibility thing is the most convenient thing for them to come up with.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
I agree...That's been way over done. The Camaro is no worse than a lot of cars I've had including a C7, 370Z, Audi TT, etc...
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Blazin383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Well your opinion is different than others that's the way the world works. I owned a 13 ZL1 for 2 years, and the more I drove it the more I hated sitting in a hole looking up out the windows(felt like a cave}. Backing out of a busy quickmart was impossible. Me and the wife like to road trip and the visibility is lacking. sold the car.....So I appreciate the people who review these cars to point out the good with the bad.....
I can appreciate what your saying, but if 360 degree clear view is important to you then you bought the wrong car to begin with. Did you drive it before you bought it? Have you ever driven a Corvette? In my opinion every Vette I've had was significantly worse than this Camaro. Maybe that's why the Camaro doesn't seem so bad to me...I'm used to worse! Doesn't seem like they squawk about visibility in the Vettes. Maybe it's just expected and therefore accepted from Vettes and other exotics.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
agl_bst

Drives: 2017 1LE
I think maybe you just read too many reviews. I test drove the a 2SS. I personally loved it, I plan to get a 1LE, just waiting until orders start up. I think its true though, the outward visibility is bad. In a review they have to note that, on the chance that hey maybe not everyone reads or watches every review on the internet. I mean you're not ranting that reviewers all seem to like it and say that its a lighter car thanks to it moving onto the Alpha platform. Its the consensus. And its a fact that the outward visibility is something you notice when you sit in it, especially if you are shopping and comparing to other cars in the segment.
agl_bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I drove a 2SS again a few days ago and had absolutely no issues driving the car.. You really can't see much out of the rear window, but it's the same thing in my girlfriend's A4..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the last couple generations do have higher fender lines, but i don't find the front or side visibility to be bad. the back window, well it has about as much in common with a window as it does a sunroof.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
I can appreciate what your saying, but if 360 degree clear view is important to you then you bought the wrong car to begin with. Did you drive it before you bought it? Have you ever driven a Corvette? In my opinion every Vette I've had was significantly worse than this Camaro. Maybe that's why the Camaro doesn't seem so bad to me...I'm used to worse! Doesn't seem like they squawk about visibility in the Vettes. Maybe it's just expected and therefore accepted from Vettes and other exotics.
Clearly you acknowledge that there is a visibility issue, which is what everyone who reviews the Camaro is mentioning to warn and prepare potential buyers, not necessarily to deter, so there really is no reason to get butt-hurt when a person makes a negative comment about one of the car's most visible negative aspect.

The fact that even you state that you have seen worse shows that it is a problem regardless if its not as big as with other cars. Just accept that the car is not perfect. it doesn't have to be, it's still pretty damn awesome anyway.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
I had a 2013 Grand Sport and 3 other C6s. The Camaro is definitely harder to see out of if I am pulling out of my neighborhood and the car is on a 45 degree to traffic. None the less, other than that, it is fine.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I remember the first time I drove my 2010 SS. It did feel like you were sitting in a hole and the roof seemed to be crashing down on me. That being said, after I drove it for a couple days I didnt even notice it. The Gen 6 seems better than the Gen 5... I can see how they would make those comments about the visibility from a "First impression" point of view.
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
jamh0619

Drives: 1111
Quote:
You keep comparing Camaro to Corvettes and other cars, cant compare, they are different animals, two seats vs four seats. I also believe that visibility is a big issue in the Camaro. Evidently that is an issue with the 5th and 6th gen beacuse a lot of people complaint about it, but it is up to the buyer to decide if they can or cant live with it.
jamh0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Blazin383

I'm not suggesting that visibility is great in the Camaro, nor am I suggestibg that reviewers should ignore the negative aspects of any car they review, it just seems to me like they dedicate too much time/ink on the issue. Comments like "you can't see anything around you", "outward visibility is nonexistent" etc are simply not accurate. Same thing with grown men squeezing into the back seat to demonstrate its lacking room for adults. Ok, I can look through the window and in one second see there's no room for adults back there.

When we were looking to buy a car for my wife she refused to even consider a Camaro because she'd heard you can't see out of it. Once she got past the negative hype about the visibility and drove one, we bought it and she absolutely loves this new SS...and I mean LOVES IT! She was afraid to drive the Vette, especially at night because she couldn't see anything around her.

I remember the first time I tried to back the Vette into a parking spot and thinking.... this is freaking impossible! Do I appreciate the Blind Spot monitor, the rear view camera, and the Cross Traffic Alert systems?? Absolutely! Do I think the Camaro would be hard to live with without those systems? Not at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamh0619 View Post
You keep comparing Camaro to Corvettes and other cars, cant compare, they are different animals, two seats vs four seats. I also believe that visibility is a big issue in the Camaro. Evidently that is an issue with the 5th and 6th gen beacuse a lot of people complaint about it, but it is up to the buyer to decide if they can or cant live with it.
A good comparison would be the Mustang, however for me that is where the Mustang sacrifices aesthetics for visibility. I prefer the small windshield and sitting lower in the car over the larger windshield and increased height. Which is why I went with the car I wanted. It all comes down to preference. I prefer the slightly decreased visibility. It's ever so slight, really the only difficult part is seeing out the back of the car. With the camera I can now at least confidently reverse into a parking spot.

Chevy did right by lowering the dash and shrinking the A pillars. My mom and girlfriend noticed that instantly that they could see better out of this one versus my 5th gen.