Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #43
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
I'm considering an Audi now. For the price, sorry. Rather get a better made car.
Just to be clear, and I want you to say this, the equivalent to the 1SS or 2SS Camaro is the RS5, which will run you well over $75,000. I only know this as I went and asked my dealer for one at that price. Of course if you want all the bells and whistles that car will run you $85,000. A wonderful car no doubt, but still well down on HP and even more so on torque. Don't get me wrong, I would have bought one if my dealer had called me back on a base car..................just were none to be had in the $75,000 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Audi's are one of the poorest made cars on the road. They are hunks of junk and require constant maintenance. If you want to spend your weekends in a dealership waiting room, enjoy your Audi. Wait until you see the maintenance costs
No, under warranty you are treated like a prince/princess. And the fit and finish is the industries best. I know this from professional benchmarking of all brands and Audi is by far the best for materials and fit and finish. It's really not worth arguing that point. You may not like the styling, and that's ok. Audis are a bit bland. But they have the best panel fits bar none and materials selection and fit and finish of the interior is better than anything you can find short of true hand made, hand sewn interiors.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #44
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Here is the big question:

How many people here can really afford a $50,000 loan that compounds at 3-4% interest for an asset that loses 10-15% of its value every single year?

I'm willing to bet quite a lot of people have car loans larger than their 401K. Cars are the single worst investment the average person will make.

I would never buy one of these cars brand new. It is a total waste. The hit you take is ridiculous. But I'm thankful for those that do. Once most people realize they can't afford the loan and have to sell it, it allows others to purchase it at a 20% discount off MSRP with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer

Deduct the first year model run. Wait 1 year for the 2017's to wind up in the used car lot. The earliest I could see myself in a Gen 6 is 2018. And of course, I'd look to buy in the winter. You can get a better deal.
I would never buy a $50,000 car and sell it after 3 years. I buy a well optioned car that I love a keep them 10 years so the cost averages and I know how it's been cared for since new. Rotating new car purchases between my wife and I paying them off in four, buy at year five.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #45
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I would never buy a $50,000 car and sell it after 3 years. I buy a well optioned car that I love a keep them 10 years so the cost averages and I know how it's been cared for since new. Rotating new car purchases between my wife and I paying them off in four, buy at year five.
Agreed. I run my cars into the ground. When it costs more to fix than it's worth, then I'll start looking for a new one

That said, and to the OP's question, I am looking at 'other cars'. Specifically 1-2 year old 2LT C7 corvette's, which with 10-20k miles seem to be sitting around $49-53k, and should fall a little bit to next spring, when I'm looking to order buy.

Found a SGM C7 with the targa roof and the Wifey *really* liked it. She said she could see her driving that every now and then. $50k is my ceiling, so I might as well explore all the tasty options I can find.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #46
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
buy used
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #47
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I think once we know how the 6th gen actually performs it will be easier to pick other options at the price point. After all if you get a SS you care about performance. Very few of the German cars can compete with the price and performance of a 5th gen, the 6th gen with its additional standard features and performance should increase that divide.
That is true, but when you get into the buyer that is actually cross shopping the 2 cars the reason they are looking at those german brands or foreign luxury brands is status symbol. You take people around my age- almost 30 years old for example-they want that status symbol car

some of my friends are now getting to really good places in their careers where they want a new car(and can easily afford it). the ones that have actually cross shopped a domestic coupe vs a foreign luxury car have chosen the luxury car everytime because they see it as more of a status symbol. The one ended up with a BMW 3 Series because it was a BMW. The other ended up with a G37 because it was fancier that a Challenger SRT8. And these are guys who grew up loving American performance cars, choosing luxury cars because of the status symbol.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #48
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is true, but when you get into the buyer that is actually cross shopping the 2 cars the reason they are looking at those german brands or foreign luxury brands is status symbol. You take people around my age- almost 30 years old for example-they want that status symbol car

some of my friends are now getting to really good places in their careers where they want a new car(and can easily afford it). the ones that have actually cross shopped a domestic coupe vs a foreign luxury car have chosen the luxury car everytime because they see it as more of a status symbol. The one ended up with a BMW 3 Series because it was a BMW. The other ended up with a G37 because it was fancier that a Challenger SRT8. And these are guys who grew up loving American performance cars, choosing luxury cars because of the status symbol.
Valid point, but to me if they are vain enough to be shopping for a status symbol, they are probably the kind who would be looking at a LT or LT convertible. Since all they are after is the look or the perception of performance. A lot of people thought I got mine for status symbol, but the truth was it met a very narrow set of criteria for me at the time (faster, better tech, better interior, excellent auto, and better mpg than my Jetta). Several of the other cars I cross shopped met some but none met all of those criteria. Plus any car enthusiast would love to experience the "ultimate driving machine" once. I have but it is nothing like driving a American performance V8.

It also sounds like the friend who was looking at the ST8 was looking at a before the refresh one. The G37 would definitely be more fancy, now not so much so.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #49
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Here is the big question:

How many people here can really afford a $50,000 loan that compounds at 3-4% interest for an asset that loses 10-15% of its value every single year?

I'm willing to bet quite a lot of people have car loans larger than their 401K. Cars are the single worst investment the average person will make.

I would never buy one of these cars brand new. It is a total waste. The hit you take is ridiculous. But I'm thankful for those that do. Once most people realize they can't afford the loan and have to sell it, it allows others to purchase it at a 20% discount off MSRP with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer

Deduct the first year model run. Wait 1 year for the 2017's to wind up in the used car lot. The earliest I could see myself in a Gen 6 is 2018. And of course, I'd look to buy in the winter. You can get a better deal.
Sound advice if you think a car is "an investment". I will buy a camaro as a toy and do not view it as a financial investment, but rather an investment on enjoying life. All of us have our own priorities, mine are found somewhere between living for today and saving for tomorrow. IMO, anything on either of the extremes is a mistake.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #50
shaffe

Quote:
Valid point, but to me if they are vain enough to be shopping for a status symbol, they are probably the kind who would be looking at a LT or LT convertible. Since all they are after is the look or the perception of performance. A lot of people thought I got mine for status symbol, but the truth was it met a very narrow set of criteria for me at the time (faster, better tech, better interior, excellent auto, and better mpg than my Jetta). Several of the other cars I cross shopped met some but none met all of those criteria. Plus any car enthusiast would love to experience the "ultimate driving machine" once. I have but it is nothing like driving a American performance V8.

It also sounds like the friend who was looking at the ST8 was looking at a before the refresh one. The G37 would definitely be more fancy, now not so much so.
Yeah the one who got the G37 that was 2 or 3 years ago IIRC.

The one who bought the BMW had an 04 Cobra. Wanted a new fun DD to keep miles off the Cobra, looked at mustang GTs chose a BMW 3 series. They were not the type looking at 1LTs or V-6 models.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #51
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

The one who bought the BMW had an 04 Cobra. Wanted a new fun DD to keep miles off the Cobra, looked at mustang GTs chose a BMW 3 series. They were not the type looking at 1LTs or V-6 models.
That explains it, he already has a toy with some power. You just don't find many people cross shopping a 4 door BMW with V8 pony cars.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #52
shaffe

Quote:
That explains it, he already has a toy with some power. You just don't find many people cross shopping a 4 door BMW with V8 pony cars.
That is true, but the main reason he chose BMW is to say I have a BMW lol
Old 08-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #53
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Yesterday I bought a 2014 ZL1 with 4100mi for 51.5k otd ... 47500ish before taxes...

Car is freaking awesome... only thing it did not have for options was sunroof.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #54
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
^^^THIS Ordered my car to keep for a very long time.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #55
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
A low mile z28 -55,000
Old 08-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #56
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
Yesterday I bought a 2014 ZL1 with 4100mi for 51.5k otd ... 47500ish before taxes...

Car is freaking awesome... only thing it did not have for options was sunroof.
The previous owner probably traded in for something with a sunroof... it is California after all
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote