Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
No drop in the clay, as it was a new bar. and i would apply a decent amount of detail spray for each section. I did just wash the car however, i did not completely dry the car. I washed the car with plenty of suds and then hosed it down from top to bottom to eliminate dirt or particles staying on the car before i started the claying process. How important is it to have the car completey dry before claying. I thought as long as i spray down some detail spray, water left over from my final rinse shouldnt hurt the clay process? am i wrong? thanks for all the tips and help.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I believe it is fine to leave the water from your final rinse on your car when clay barring. That should not have any effect on claying.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I believe it is fine to leave the water from your final rinse on your car when clay barring. That should not have any effect on claying.
K, I thought this would be fine. The car has 56K miles on it, about 80% of it HWY miles, and this was my first Clay experience. I checked the car out during my lunch break and only noticed the "new scratches" on the hood and not any where else so thats a relief. And TBH you cant see it unless youre at the right angle up close but I know theyre there. So machine polishing will be my next step. Im really hoping they wil come out with the swirl n haze remover.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
midlife

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
The 4" Adams pads on a cordless drill with either sever or regular swirl remove should do the trick. My method of swirl and stratch removals goes like this because less is better.

First Machine Polish & PC with a little spray detail. If not happy
PC again with swirl remover. If not happy
PC again with sever swirl remove. Still not happy

4" Adams Pad on the cordless
First regular if not enough then sever swirl remover.

If all of that does not make you happy then it is compound & the big guns which a rarely use.

The key is to work slowly and watch your product work.
midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've seen clay used perfectly, no pressure, lots of lube... and cause horrible scratches.... never using the stuff again.
Yep... I'm with ya.
Tried three seperate attempts.
It's another marketing sham.
I can get just as good results without the clay and without the risk of scratches.

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #20
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Yep... I'm with ya.
Tried three seperate attempts.
It's another marketing sham.
I can get just as good results without the clay and without the risk of scratches.
How exactly do you remove the contaminants and get that glass smooth feel without the clay? I'm curious.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
How exactly do you remove the contaminants and get that glass smooth feel without the clay? I'm curious.
Well I am assuming I did the clay process correct on the rest of the car beacuse it does feel like glass on the panels, trunk, doors, even the hood. It looks slick as ever. I finished it up with some wax after the clay and it was bright and clean. If youre not going to clay, i would think after your final wash a nice polish then wax would be in order to get it feeling like glass.

BTW i did notice claying the windows all the way around made the glass a whole lot easier to clean and kept water beading up and rolling down.

The scratches are not severe IMO. Theyre close to the swirl marks i already have so Machine polish should do it.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Not sure about that. You've rinsed the car to get rid of suds and those suds can have particles suspended as could the water that doesn't run off from the rinse.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroshark View Post
Not sure about that. You've rinsed the car to get rid of suds and those suds can have particles suspended as could the water that doesn't run off from the rinse.
I don't personally clay bar with the water from the wash. I dry before I start claying. But I saw the article in the link below that talks about claying with wash water:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lay-paint.html

Although, I think they mention that they use "soapy water" as a lubricant instead of detail spray. Not too sure that I agree with that...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #24
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
I don't personally clay bar with the water from the wash. I dry before I start claying. But I saw the article in the link below that talks about claying with wash water:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lay-paint.html

Although, I think they mention that they use "soapy water" as a lubricant instead of detail spray. Not too sure that I agree with that...
I used soapy water for cleaning the car, rinsed the car down and got all the suds off where it was just water (hard water tho) and then used my detail spray for the clay process. im sure the detail spray mixed with some water that was on the car. Any how, Ill probably just clay twice a year.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Claying wet is fine and had nothing to do with whats going on here.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote