Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I would prefer a automatic hard tonneau cover....
That might be what the guy was insinuating. I was telling him how I would like an aftermarket rigid tonneau and he said something to the effect that, "These things (convertible tops) are very difficult to engineer. I think you'll be pleased with the design of the SIX convertible."

I asked the same guy about the pace car for the Indy 500 and he said, "its an interesting coincidence that Indy will be celebrating its 100th anniversary next year while Camaro will be 50. There may be some promotional opportunity there." So, maybe that means a convertible SIX will be ready by next May.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
I say that decision is made long before the first test vehicle is built.
Yep, it would cost a ton of money to both and THEN decide. Considering the body structure very likely could do both.

Quote:
I would prefer a automatic hard tonneau cover....
That would be sweet. Much more expensive.

To do a hard tonneau would require a different and smaller decklid. Tooling up two decklids just costs more. And if you don't have the room for a decklid AND a tonneau, you will have a really bad trunk opening. It's much harder to pull off. It has to fit between the space behind the rear seat and the trunk. The Gen6 looks like that is very small real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
That might be what the guy was insinuating. I was telling him how I would like an aftermarket rigid tonneau and he said something to the effect that, "These things (convertible tops) are very difficult to engineer. I think you'll be pleased with the design of the SIX convertible."

I asked the same guy about the pace car for the Indy 500 and he said, "its an interesting coincidence that Indy will be celebrating its 100th anniversary next year while Camaro will be 50. There may be some promotional opportunity there." So, maybe that means a convertible SIX will be ready by next May.
They are. I worked a bit on the XLR. That was basically a 2 piece roof. That takes up the entire trunk. Think Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible and XLR. Other do it in 3 pieces, Volvo and I think BMW. This stacks a bit better and leaves either a bit more trunk room or allows a cleaner design with the top down and up.

And simply because it's been well covered and all we've seen is the front half of the top, they could have just glued some canvas on top of the roof panel to hide it.

But here is what GM CAN DO in a not ridiculously priced car. Lets hope for this.

http://www.buick.com/cascada-luxury-...%2Bconvertible

http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/modelle...ada/index.html
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yep, it would cost a ton of money to both and THEN decide. Considering the body structure very likely could do both.

That would be sweet. Much more expensive.

To do a hard tonneau would require a different and smaller decklid. Tooling up two decklids just costs more. And if you don't have the room for a decklid AND a tonneau, you will have a really bad trunk opening. It's much harder to pull off. It has to fit between the space behind the rear seat and the trunk. The Gen6 looks like that is very small real estate.

They are. I worked a bit on the XLR. That was basically a 2 piece roof. That takes up the entire trunk. Think Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible and XLR. Other do it in 3 pieces, Volvo and I think BMW. This stacks a bit better and leaves either a bit more trunk room or allows a cleaner design with the top down and up.

And simply because it's been well covered and all we've seen is the front half of the top, they could have just glued some canvas on top of the roof panel to hide it.

But here is what GM CAN DO in a not ridiculously priced car. Lets hope for this.

http://www.buick.com/cascada-luxury-...%2Bconvertible

http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/modelle...ada/index.html
Well if they camoed that convertible to hide a hard top they did a good job faking the ribs and close fitting it over the side windows and windshield header, it looks just like mine with the top up.. Somehow I don't think that happened. If anything it would be a full Camo it would have the black padding like the back half of the top has.

I think I have seen on some car before where they had side flaps that would close to cover up the gaps and left the center exposed, it looked like it hada tonneau but it really wasn't.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Well if they camoed that convertible to hide a hard top they did a good job faking the ribs and close fitting it over the side windows and windshield header, it looks just like mine with the top up.. Somehow I don't think that happened. If anything it would be a full Camo it would have the black padding like the back half of the top has.

I think I have seen on some car before where they had side flaps that would close to cover up the gaps and left the center exposed, it looked like it hada tonneau but it really wasn't.
You and I are on the same page. Was offering a glimmer of hope to those hoping its a hard top
Old 05-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #19
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I've had 1 frame & 3 fabric replacents ( due to dealer error). I have about 9,000 miles left on the extended warranty for the top. I almost want to get the coupe because I'm afraid gm will screw this vert top up again. But damn, that BLUE with a black very top would be SO. DAMN. SEXY! I cannot decide....I wish they told us when the vert would be out
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote