Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post

Correct the LS motors are EOL. And just because the Corvette team couldn't get a NA motor to meet their power target for the Z06 doesn't mean we won't have a NA motor to beat the GT350. 550-600hp is all we are needing if that.

If there is a merge, there will definitely be a jump in price, but maybe they can spread it over lots of options.
You think the Camaro will get a special motor thats not shared with a Corvette or V series Cadillac? I can't see GM doing that, I could see the Corvette getting a special motor, but not Camaro.

I could see the Camaro maybe getting a revised LT1 but not a different engine all together
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #16
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
My thinking is that they would make a ZL1/2 with the LT4 and a stripped out version of that called the Z/28 since they honestly don't care about the naming history anymore when put a supercharged engine in the Z06
Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
The problem is "stripped out" I can see some of the sound deadner gone but removing most options is not what "most" want. I have been spending some time on the Z28 sub forum and i see alot of people retrofitting what GM took out lol. Trunk Mats, Heavy floor mats, 4 pack Gauges, audio ect.. The concept is cool and i would buy a Z28 but i think most still want the options.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
H13rarchy

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0
One possibility, although highly doubtful, could be that the Camaro SS gets the LT1 with 460hp & 465tq while the C7 gets a new naturally aspirated LTX with bigger displacement and more power 500Hp & 500tq. Then in a couple years a next gen Z/28 debuts powered by the newer LTX. Leaving the LT4 for the next gen ZL1.

If Chevy was going to bringing back another stripped down, track focused Camaro I believe that's how it would be done...
H13rarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
Trans damm

i just hope nothing is a "couple years out" The opponents are in the ring, i hope GM can step in soon.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #20
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I would love to see a 396 or 400 cubic inch Lt based engine. We know it can be done because dodge does it now without direct injection.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You think the Camaro will get a special motor thats not shared with a Corvette or V series Cadillac? I can't see GM doing that, I could see the Corvette getting a special motor, but not Camaro.

I could see the Camaro maybe getting a revised LT1 but not a different engine all together
That's exactly what happened with the Z/28. The LS7 was not being used in any other car. I think it's a remote possibility though. They would have to want to make a direct replacement for the 5th gen Z/28, which doesn't seem likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
My thinking is that they would make a ZL1/2 with the LT4 and a stripped out version of that called the Z/28 since they honestly don't care about the naming history anymore when put a supercharged engine in the Z06
I don't see why FI means it's not following nameplate history. The ZO6 was and still is a track focused package. How you accomplish that goal is not what makes it a ZO6. Now what happened to the Z/28(Z28) nameplate back in the day is definitely a good example of not following history.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
LSA is just a detuned LS9.

Also the first gen Z06 is from back in 1963 or something.
Ummm no, no it's not. LS9 was hand made, dry sump with fully upgraded internals. Huge cost difference from the LSA being "mass produced". Far from just tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
The first Gen Z06 was pretty much what the Zl1 Got. The second Gen Z06 brought the aluminum Frame, wide body and tech advancements. Whats the chances the Gen 6 Z will be a greater departure then previous. There was suttle mention of a "wide body" in the works on here from someone credible. I know most cringe but i would be all for a $75k+ Z wth the LT4 and Z28 Aero/weight/brakes/widebody.
The C6 Z06 had the aluminum frame. The difference is the C7 took the aluminum frame to the base car.

Quote:
The problem is "stripped out" I can see some of the sound deadner gone but removing most options is not what "most" want. I have been spending some time on the Z28 sub forum and i see alot of people retrofitting what GM took out lol. Trunk Mats, Heavy floor mats, 4 pack Gauges, audio ect.. The concept is cool and i would buy a Z28 but i think most still want the options.
Why does everyone think sound dampening weighs so much?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
Trans damm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ummm no, no it's not. LS9 was hand made, dry sump with fully upgraded internals. Huge cost difference from the LSA being "mass produced". Far from just tuning.

The C6 Z06 had the aluminum frame. The difference is the C7 took the aluminum frame to the base car.

Why does everyone think sound dampening weighs so much?
Well i know the aftermarket dampener i put in my 4th Gen weighs atleast 50lbs, and its one of the easier things to remove w/o giving up any performance. There not going to delete onstar, people still want the touch display. You know how difficult it is to reduce weight. 1 Gen Z06 had a thinner winshield just to shed a few pounds. I think the next Gen recaros in the V's weight less. maybe they will go without power? but people want a very adjustable seat for performance driving. They offered no A/C like so many desired but those are the Z28's most discounted. What people want and will actually buy are two different things.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #24
SuperSound

Quote:
What people want and will actually buy are two different things.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #25
shaffe

Quote:
That's exactly what happened with the Z/28. The LS7 was not being used in any other car. I think it's a remote possibility though. They would have to want to make a direct replacement for the 5th gen Z/28, which doesn't seem likely.

I don't see why FI means it's not following nameplate history. The ZO6 was and still is a track focused package. How you accomplish that goal is not what makes it a ZO6. Now what happened to the Z/28(Z28) nameplate back in the day is definitely a good example of not following history.

1. The LS7 was already developed and had lived a full life cycle...IN THE CORVETTE. Corvette had moved on from the LS7 which allowed them use it in the Z/28 bc it was the best engine for what they wanted. You are saying they will do the opposite, develop an engine specifically for the Camaro that wont be used in any other vehicles. GM Shares almost all of their engines, I doubt Camaro would be the first car to get a high revving specialty N/A engine. Cadillac has gone to FI for its V models, so theres no sharing there. GM already attempted to outdo the LS7 in N/A form for the Z06 and couldn't get it to pass emissions so they went FI for the Z06. What makes you think they are going to be able to figure out how to make a higher HP, high revving N/A motor just for the Camaro when they already tried and couldnt do it for the Corvette?

2. The ZL1 was going to be the Z/28, but bc of the S/C and other tech goodies it didnt fit the heritage of the name plate so they built the Z/28 we have today.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
1. The LS7 was already developed and had lived a full life cycle...IN THE CORVETTE. Corvette had moved on from the LS7 which allowed them use it in the Z/28 bc it was the best engine for what they wanted. You are saying they will do the opposite, develop an engine specifically for the Camaro that wont be used in any other vehicles. GM Shares almost all of their engines, I doubt Camaro would be the first car to get a high revving specialty N/A engine. Cadillac has gone to FI for its V models, so theres no sharing there. GM already attempted to outdo the LS7 in N/A form for the Z06 and couldn't get it to pass emissions so they went FI for the Z06. What makes you think they are going to be able to figure out how to make a higher HP, high revving N/A motor just for the Camaro?

2. The ZL1 was going to be the Z/28, but bc of the S/C and other tech goodies it didnt fit the heritage of the name plate so they built the Z/28 we have today.

And who would have guessed Ford would develop a FPC engine specifically to counter the Z/28? Times are changing. I agree it is very unlikely, but it is not out of the question. They could decide to put it in the C7 and use in a new Z/28 at the same time.

Yes they felt the Z/28 needed to be NA but the ZL1 nameplate fit better since it was the ultimate engine equipped Camaro. From a handling perspective the ZL1 (at the time) lived up to the Z/28 heritage too, the best handling Camaro. Again though, what does FI really have to do with the heritage of these cars. Do you think if Zora was alive today and creating the ZO6 for the first time he would say no you can't use the best motor we have because it's not NA? He built it for racing and used the biggest motor allowed for the particular class. Since it is now a road car produced for non-professionals to take the track and not a race car with a street version for racing regs, I don't believe he would have withheld the best parts available.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #27
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
And who would have guessed Ford would develop a FPC engine specifically to counter the Z/28? Times are changing. I agree it is very unlikely, but it is not out of the question. They could decide to put it in the C7 and use in a new Z/28 at the same time.
It's not that surprising. Ford has developed plenty of one off engines for the Mustang. They did the 5.4 in the 00 Cobra R and the 302 Roadrunner for the 12-13 BOSS 302 for example.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
shaffe

Quote:

Yes they felt the Z/28 needed to be NA but the ZL1 nameplate fit better since it was the ultimate engine equipped Camaro. From a handling perspective the ZL1 (at the time) lived up to the Z/28 heritage too, the best handling Camaro. Again though, what does FI really have to do with the heritage of these cars. Do you think if Zora was alive today and creating the ZO6 for the first time he would say no you can't use the best motor we have because it's not NA? He built it for racing and used the biggest motor allowed for the particular class. Since it is now a road car produced for non-professionals to take the track and not a race car with a street version for racing regs, I don't believe he would have withheld the best parts available.
Ford has developed lots of one off engines for the mustang, how they do it I don't know. Maybe its easier for them do it with modular motors, I don't know how they do it, but they do. GM as far as my memory goes, hasnt made a one off engine for the camaro in a long time.

and again, Team Corvette tried to do it, and couldn't. What makes you think team Camaro is going to figure it out? I think it would be awesome if they did, but I seriously doubt they would.

And you answered your own question, the cars were originally built for racing and as many more experienced people here can tell you, a supercharged engine isn't exactly the best one to use for road racing.