Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
While I like the idea of the 4.3L going into a future Camaro I'm not sure they would. One of the things they stated during the launch of the new Silverado was that the reason they made the new 4.3L V6 was because they didn't want to be like their competitors and put an engine designed for cars into a truck. So I'm not sure they would flip it the other way. Of course if it could be adapted to better suit a performance application (which I'm sure it could because it shares most of it's parts with the V8's which will share basic design with the LT1) then it might be another way of extending the life of a powerful, fuel efficient V6 in an industry that is switching to FI 4cyl's.

It all goes along with "What is a Camaro?". A question Scott and the Camaro team pull their hair out on a daily basis trying to interpret. Times are changing and while GM has probably extended the life of the V8 for at least another generation yet younger buyers are more willing to explore alternatives that older buyers wouldn't even consider. I would expect to see an engine option from each 4, 6, and 8 cyl's. Depending on what sells best will determine what lives on year to year.

We'll see.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Honda accord? I think not. Not to mention todays turbo 4s absolutely rape the car you had power-wise (unless your going to tell me it was also turbo'd) Anyways....moving on...

Lets try to keep the focus of this discussion on the V6 and not have it turn and decay into a discussion about the 4 cylinder. (that thread has gone way wayyyyyy off track)
A 4 cylinder sounds like a four cylinder, that's why I would not like one. You will never make a 4 cylinder sound like a 6, and never make a 6 sound like an 8.
They should keep the V6's because they are great performers and I believe they will make them even better in the future. No 4 banger Camaros.
Why don't we just wait and see what they do instead of just guessing? It just pisses people off talking about what could happen, look at the C7. GM knows what they are doing.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Why don't we just wait and see what they do instead of just guessing? It just pisses people off talking about what could happen, look at the C7. GM knows what they are doing.
Well...If we alll went by that logic, then there is really no point of this entire section concerning the 6th gen. We are human...we are curious and naturally excited about the new "thing" coming along. We want to provide our thoughts and input, so here it is.

Besides, if GM Camaro team is REALLY listening, as they have said they are, and the Camaro disciples have said they are, and Scott (Fbodfather) says they are, then this is a great outlet to show them what we want.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Well...If we alll went by that logic, then there is really no point of this entire section concerning the 6th gen. We are human...we are curious and naturally excited about the new "thing" coming along. We want to provide our thoughts and input, so here it is.

Besides, if GM Camaro team is REALLY listening, as they have said they are, and the Camaro disciples have said they are, and Scott (Fbodfather) says they are, then this is a great outlet to show them what we want.
...Never seen a thread begging for an I-4, but that's what we're probably gonna get...Everybody wanted a lighter car, but not with a less powerful engine than what we have now....so yeah, they listen...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I think the V6 will not dissappear from the camaro the LFX is a good fit for this car and they may even supercharge it at some point.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:

They are simply not listing because "we" make up for a small percent of camaro owners. Plus GM has teams of people who care figure out for the most part whats going to be a good idea and not.

also THEY KNOW the enthusiasts like the v8s and even v6s because thats also what a lot of the people working for GM also like. but most people buying camaros are not "true" car enthusiasts, and honestly a lot of them would buy a 4 banger camaro that gets great MPG.

In the end its all a business and it follows the corporate games. GM and most car manufacturers want people to feel they are being listened to. Although sure at times i would bet they try to listen, but most of the time they are going to do whats best for the company. (which makes sense)

on a side not, reading Fbodfather threads and post are so dam annoying................... because he writes like this....... lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Would you buy this car if it was just a more expensive Honda accord? Yes it looks amazing. But I had a Honda accord and would not want that power back. I hate the idea of putting a 4 cylinder in it. American muscle is supposed to be American muscle, the V6 was even pushing it. They should keep the V8 and V6. No 4 cylinder, no one bought the camaro because of the great gas mileage did they? Buy a Prius.
The Honda Accord comes with either an n/a 4 cylinder or an n/a v6. So, in fact an n/a v6 is more similar to the Accord than a turbo 4 cylinder would be. The v6 in the camaro is a fine engine indeed, but American muscle it is absolutely not. It would be cool to see a mid-tier forced induction 6 in the next gen. If the LT1 is 450hp and they offered a turbo 4 base engine, then maybe the tt 6 they have been working on around 370hp, that would be very cool.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The V6 is probably going to be the first thing to be killed off thanks to CAFE. The MPG requirements will be too high for a V6. They will install an I4 in place of the current V6, since it will be able to get closer to the MPG mandate than a V6.

They will need to get great MPG with the majority of the fleet because they will need extra MPG to offset the fuel guzzling ZL1 which will be the only V8 option available. In spite of the factthe ZL1 will be limited production and priced so only a select few will be able to get one, they will still need a lot of I4's to make up for it.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The V6 is probably going to be the first thing to be killed off thanks to CAFE. The MPG requirements will be too high for a V6. They will install an I4 in place of the current V6, since it will be able to get closer to the MPG mandate than a V6.

They will need to get great MPG with the majority of the fleet because they will need extra MPG to offset the fuel guzzling ZL1 which will be the only V8 option available. In spite of the factthe ZL1 will be limited production and priced so only a select few will be able to get one, they will still need a lot of I4's to make up for it.
If that's the case and they quit making the V6 I'll keep mine forever as a collectors item. It will have to be worth something in the future.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
If that's the case and they quit making the V6 I'll keep mine forever as a collectors item. It will have to be worth something in the future.
All is not lost!

I suspect that eventually the I4 will be too much of a guzzler, so the camaro will get some kind of hybrid drivetrain with a V-twin or something and they will drop the V8 from the lineup and the ZL1 and Corvette will get a V6 with forced induction.

You will then be able to get a V6.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I'd like to see a Supercharged Direct Injection 3800 V6 as an option.
IMO one of the best engine built.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I'd like to see a Supercharged Direct Injection 3800 V6 as an option.
IMO one of the best engine built.
Freedom of choice is soooo 1776. Get with the times!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Freedom of choice is soooo 1776. Get with the times!
The times are changing backwards with massive 3.6 timing chain problems.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well, I've read that issue has finally been put to rest with the latest models, but yes...owners of vehicles using the LY7, or LLT from somewhere around mid 2000's through 2011, and MAYBE even the 2012 LFX have that to worry about.

But it should not be something to worry about for the future.

Come on GM...I want a 340HP V6 in a 3,400lb car, so I can mod it to 370 - 380 HP lol . That'd be one sweet little V6....all for mid to upper $20s

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation