Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #43
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I always suspected that the manufacturers called the photographers to give them a heads up on when the cars will be out and about. They did do an excellent job on keeping the Z/28 under wraps. As much as I want to see and know everything about the 6th gen I would be fine with them revealing it closer to launch. A couple years ago I was on my own in saying that the sixth gen would debut as a 2017 model year car. The fifth gen was delayed a year but if I remember right it was delayed from our expectations not what GM officially told us would happen. GM has stated as others on here have reminded that 2015 is the last year of the fifth gen but they always reserve the right to change that.
I worked on C5, C6 and XLR. They spent a ton of effort on disguising the shape of the cars and hiding details. You can see some of that in the C7 spy photos with foam under the covers. Dave Hill had special foam bits designed to make the C6 look longer as that was one of the big victories, shortening the front and rear overhangs.

I don't recall anyone alerting the photographers.

I do know a story about one of the photographers, supposedly one of the very famous ones, who was driving one handed, shooting pictures with the other.........................while driving off road paralleling the C6s on an exit ramp. Not something that happens when you give them a heads up, we're coming out to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
I'm being optimistic that they are keeping the 6th Gen under heavy secrecy.. From what we have been reading, GM doesn't want any part of the 6th Gen out until they want it out.. May sound crazy but who knows where the test cars are being tested at..
If you recall, the C6 was originally being tested in Australia. Spy photos were out immediately.

Unless they are in the Arctic or on the moon, somebody will know about it.

Now, when I was at another OEM, we used to run non-camoflauged cars at night. Tough to take those pics.

Who knows what games they are playing and how much effort they would put into secrecy. But there are people who can make big money off of the first spy shots. And if there is money to be made, there are people willing to wait out any efforts for secrecy.

And it is very possible to use other vehicles as the Mule donor. I saw spy photos recently of what was supposed to be the new Cadillac using a Caprice. But that only works on chassis development. Ultimately you have to test the rest of the car.

Now this could be the first ever effort to not use road development.

All I know is if you go by the past, no spy photos.......no car in under a year.

Remember, I had the 3rd CTF Camaro in December of 08 for a launch that ended up in April of 09 for a 2010 model. And go look at when the first spy photos showed up for the Camaro with the JC Whitney headlamps.

Last edited by Number 3; 07-07-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #44
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I worked on C5, C6 and XLR. They spent a ton of effort on disguising the shape of the cars and hiding details. You can see some of that in the C7 spy photos with foam under the covers. Dave Hill had special foam bits designed to make the C6 look longer as that was one of the big victories, shortening the front and rear overhangs.

I do know a story about one of the photographers, supposedly one of the very famous ones, who was driving one handed, shooting pictures with the other.........................while driving off road paralleling the C6s on an exit ramp. Not something that happens when you give them a heads up, we're coming out to play.

If you recall, the C6 was originally being tested in Australia. Spy photos were out immediately.

Now, when I was at another OEM, we used to run non-camoflauged cars at night. Tough to take those pics.

Who knows what games they are playing and how much effort they would put into secrecy. But there are people who can make big money off of the first spy shots. And if there is money to be made, there are people willing to wait out any efforts for secrecy.

Sweet. I guess they really are spy photos then.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #45
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

And it is very possible to use other vehicles as the Mule donor. I saw spy photos recently of what was supposed to be the new Cadillac using a Caprice. But that only works on chassis development. Ultimately you have to test the rest of the car.

Now this could be the first ever effort to not use road development.

All I know is if you go by the past, no spy photos.......no car in under a year.

Remember, I had the 3rd CTF Camaro in December of 08 for a launch that ended up in April of 09 for a 2010 model. And go look at when the first spy photos showed up for the Camaro with the JC Whitney headlamps.
I remember meeting a CTF Camaro convertible back then during winter testing here in Ga at a gas station, very nice guy with his wife and dog who only asked me not to photo any sensitive items or their faces. I never did until now put it on the web.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #46
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Anyone know anybody with access to a drone spy plane with night vision?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #47
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Anyone know anybody with access to a drone spy plane with night vision?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #48
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I would not be surprised if we have been seeing the 6th gen already disguised as ATS coups underdevelopment since they will share a chassis and factory between them. ATS skin with Camaro running gear, how sneaky of them to pull this off in a perfect storm type scenario since ATS coups are just being shown and we await the arrival of the ATS-V version.
^ This. GM may only need to tweak the body panels late this year/Q1 2015 for production. The ATS crash testing has been done, so the Camaro testing would be just a formality. ATS's with an LT1 could be just driving around in a dozen cities.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #49
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
^ This. GM may only need to tweak the body panels late this year/Q1 2015 for production. The ATS crash testing has been done, so the Camaro testing would be just a formality. ATS's with an LT1 could be just driving around in a dozen cities.
Admittedly, I'm not an automotive engineer, but I suspect that the Camaro's body will be different enough from that of the ATS that crash testing will be something more than 'just a formality.' We're not talking about a Camaro/Firebird re-badge situation here. I'm expecting the Camaro to look essentially nothing like the ATS coupe (though it's possible that the dimensions will be similar). Change the body enough, and it seems likely it could perform quite differently in crash tests. Just my 2 cents...
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #50
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I had a conversation with one of the well-known "spy photographers" earlier today. "No sights or words" came the reply to the question regarding Gen-6 Camaros. Not in hot-weather areas. Not in Michigan. Not in Cali. Not anywhere...

"What's a photo worth, right now?"

"BIG BUCK$!" was the reply. "And we're ALL looking....HARD!"

Word to the wise: Opportunity await$!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #51
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I had a conversation with one of the well-known "spy photographers" earlier today. "No sights or words" came the reply to the question regarding Gen-6 Camaros. Not in hot-weather areas. Not in Michigan. Not in Cali. Not anywhere...

"What's a photo worth, right now?"

"BIG BUCK$!" was the reply. "And we're ALL looking....HARD!"

Word to the wise: Opportunity await$!
We just figured out the 6th gen will have cloaking technology! Beat that Ford!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #52
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
If I was at GM I would make some funky ass decoys with camaro badging...
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
If I was at GM I would make some funky ass decoys with camaro badging...
That's what the mustang guys were hoping ford did when the first spy shots of the 15 mustang started popping up.... Unfortunately what they saw is what they got.....
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #54
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That's what the mustang guys were hoping ford did when the first spy shots of the 15 mustang started popping up.... Unfortunately what they saw is what they got.....
LOL
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote