Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
umby24

Drives: None
Go test drive a v8 and compare it to what you're used to with the 4 cyl.

If you're still in 'eh', then maybe sticking with what you have is worth it.
But if you're totally blown away, yeah I'd bump up a level.

Find out what you will be personally happy with, with no doubts, and then go for it.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by umby24 View Post
Go test drive a v8 and compare it to what you're used to with the 4 cyl.

If you're still in 'eh', then maybe sticking with what you have is worth it.
But if you're totally blown away, yeah I'd bump up a level.

Find out what you will be personally happy with, with no doubts, and then go for it.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
From someone who has owned both a V6 (1) and many V8 (8). Is it worth it only you can answer your question. You will get hundreds of different answers but only you can make that decision.

Take my 2001 Z/28 love that car it was my show car then came my 2010 2LT/RS and after that I drove my 01 Z/28 less than 10 times in 6 years before I sold it. I put 74k on my 2010 before selling it this past April to a forum member I really enjoyed that car I did not need the V8 power.

Was it V8 power (todays power) no did it do everything a I needed it to do Yes.

Fast forward to April of this year when I purchased my 17 SS Convertible do I love it yes do I drive it Nope, sure it has more power than my 2010 but in the end it gets me to point A from point B.

I am one where I am more about creature comforts I look all the goodies so I would pass up on a 1SS and take a loaded 2LT, just like I would take a 2SS over a 1 SS any day again I am about the goodies more than I am about power.

Remember we always want something better it’s our nature do it if it makes financial sense.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
No opinion is stupid! I don't want to turn this into a battle like most of these threads have become. I have an I4 because I wanted a Camaro and i could afford the I4. The recent TM issue has really thrown me off so it would be a manual as well.
We can agree to disagree.

I have no issue with the T4. I think it was a brilliant addition to the lineup. I'd love to get one for a daily at some point.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #19
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
I don’t have a 1LE, but I do have a 17 1LT V6 manual, and a loaded 16 2SS A8.

I’d have to say your decision really should be based on what you want from your car. The personality and driving experience between my two cars is so extream that it’s like they aren’t even related. I love the 1LT for its simplicity, and basic driving pleasure. The manual trans is engaging and the V6 is smooth and pleasant for every day use but will still pull strong once you get above about 4,000 rpm.

The V8 however is a whole different animal and just begs you to put your foot in it! It’s so much more aggressive, responsive, sharp, and high tech feeling than the LT. They really are two very different cars.

I’m sure the LT 1LE will have a little more sporting feel to it than my base 1LT, but it’s the same engine and transmission so I have to believe the cars basic character will be simmilar to mine. Believe it or not, the fuel economy between the SS and the V6 LT is minimal, especially when highway cruising. I can get 30 mpg from the SS when highway cruising and maybe 1 or 2 better with the V6.

Bottom line, if you want serious straight line performance and power, and a car that can chew up a road course, no question, get the V8. If you want a great handling, less expensive, nice performance car that looks good and handles great, go with the V6 1LE. They are two very different experiences!

BTW, I put a set of SS rally stripes and the SS pedestal spoiler on my LT because I think the base LTs look too soft without s little dressing up, and it looks much more aggressive now.

Last edited by Blazin383; 11-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Quote:
No opinion is stupid! I don't want to turn this into a battle like most of these threads have become. I have an I4 because I wanted a Camaro and i could afford the I4. The recent TM issue has really thrown me off so it would be a manual as well.
At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy. My comment wasn't meant to be demeaning, it's just the way I feel.

Frankly, I think most would agree with me, they just might say differently to be the "politically correct" guy.
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
To the OP, you're asking people who bought the V8 if we think you should go for the V8. My simple reply is if you can afford it then by all means it's a must have. Plain and simple.

If it means going the 1SS with no options route, still do it. You'll smile every time you lay the hammer down more than you will over dual climate control or cooled leather seats.

There is not a soul on earth who's ever regretted buying a car with good old American small block power.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #22
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I don’t have a 1LE, but I do have a 17 1LT V6 manual, and a loaded 16 2SS A8.

I’d have to say your decision really should be based on what you want from your car. The personality and driving experience between my two cars is so extream that it’s like they aren’t even related. I love the 1LT for its simplicity, and basic driving pleasure. The manual trans is engaging and the V6 is smooth and pleasant for every day use but will still pull strong once you get above about 4,000 rpm.

The V8 however is a whole different animal and just begs you to put your foot in it! It’s so much more aggressive, responsive, sharp, and high tech feeling than the LT. They really are two very different cars.

I’m sure the LT 1LE will have a little more sporting feel to it than my base 1LT, but it’s the same engine and transmission so I have to believe the cars basic character will be simmilar to mine. Believe it or not, the fuel economy between the SS and the V6 LT is minimal, especially when highway cruising. I can get 30 mpg from the SS when highway cruising and maybe 1 or 2 better with the V6.

Bottom line, if you want serious straight line performance and power, and a car that can chew up a road course, no question, get the V8. If you want a gREAT handling, less expensive, nice performance car that looks good and handles great, go with the V6 1LE. They are two very different experiences!
Great response. Thank you. I think I will need to go drive an SS before I make any decisions about my car. I do agree tho, my car, for being the base model, is one hell of a car. Its quick, fun, and it gets me through 12 months. I just think I want that "whole other animal."

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #23
Six.Two SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If it means going the 1SS with no options route, still do it.
Exactly what I did(well, I got a couple options), and damn, these cars are FAST!!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #24
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy. My comment wasn't meant to be demeaning, it's just the way I feel.

Frankly, I think most would agree with me, they just might say differently to be the "politically correct" guy.
I don't take offense. I am not on here to argue. I know this post was really vague and as someone above said "its asking V8 people if I should get a V8." Sounds silly thinking about it now, but I am sure that there are some V8 guys that have some differing opinions.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #25
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
I am trying to avoid your first comment haha. What do you mean by costing me a ton? like insurance, etc?
My mistake, I see now you are on a lease...You may have to take some of that stuff off , depending on how anal the dealer is about lease returns….also Selling that stuff will make you more money, because those adds are something a dealer’s not gonna give you reimbursement for .....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #26
Six.Two SC

Quote:
I don't take offense.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
My mistake, I see now you are on a lease...You may have to take some of that stuff off , depending on how anal the dealer is about lease returns….also Selling that stuff will make you more money, because those adds are something a dealer’s not gonna give you reimbursement for .....
That is exactly why i haven’t done anything yet that i can’t take off and have the car back to stock at a moments notice.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #28
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Thanks

Tuned by #danytechtuning