Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #183
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Same old bullshit from people like you.

Driving a manual is about the fun and enjoyment of it. If you don’t get it I can’t help you. Just stop with the bullshit. Because while the auto can shift faster and beat the stick to 60 by .3 seconds, the difference is so minute and inconspicuous unless you’re drag racing for slips it means nothing. The 6MT still leaves the vast majority of cars in the dust. Give up the fun of rowing my own gears for the off chance that one day I MIGHT have to try to out accelerate an 8 speed automatic SS in the highway? Please. I will back off, let him go, tip my cap, and stay out of a ticket or accident.

That’s the reality of it.
Well said
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #184
dugoodle

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
So, I'd like some serious opinions here.

I currently have my 1LT 2.0 on a lease for 3 years (until Oct 2019) and my plan was to buy it outright as soon as the lease was up. I leased because I had just gotten a new job, got lowballed salary wise, and wanted a Camaro. Recently, I have been having TM issues that has really thrown my love of driving this car out the window. I have been doing some thinking and I think I may want to stop modifying, give it back in 2019 and actually buy/finance a 1LE. I don't care about gas mileage. I mean I know you'll all likely say, it is your decision, do what you want, but I still value all of your opinions.

I would probably go for a used 2017-2018. The prices I have seen for used already for 2016 SS are around 35-40K. MSRP on my car was 29. It seems like a no brainer for that little money and I am already making double what I was when I first took this job in March of 2016. I already have 16k miles on my car with a 10k/year lease agreement that runs from Oct-Oct (whoops). So I would likely have to shell out a grand or two if I continue on this path, BUT, I can always park it and drive my durango to keep miles off if this is something I know I want to do.

1LE owners and SS owners... Are there any arguments or reasons you have why I should not get the V8/1LE and make the switch?

4 Bangers... Aside from gas mileage. Is there a reason I should stay with the 4?

What I have already done to the car...
Ceramic Coating - $500
Intake - $365 (sellable)
Strut Brace - $100 (sellable)
Catch Can System - $400 (maybe sellable)
Window Tints - $200
Headlight bulb replacements - $180 (sellable)
Rock Guards - $40 (negligible)
Spoiler - $100 (sellable)

If I stopped right now I would be in the hole for the ceramic coating, possibly the catch cans, the tints and the rock guards. Barring I can sell the other parts.

I cannot even touch 450hp with my car unless I go forged internals, turbo swap, and tune. Roughly about 2k for internals, 1.5k for turbo and 4-500 for a tune not to mention Intercooler, TB, etc....

I would like honest opinions from all of you.
I've test drove the v6 and v8 in 5th gen and 6th gen before I bought my 2013 SS (didn't have 4 cylinder turbo to test). I liked every Camaro I drove, but i knew if I got the v6 like I did with my 1994, I'd keep wishing I got the v8. It also came down to cost. I had to decide how long and how deep I wanted to be in debt.

The important thing is this life is short. Enjoy what you have. But my question is, if streets are made of gold in heaven, what are we driving on them???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
dugoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #185
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Let's preface this by saying, if you need a stick, a V8, or some nonsensical totem to define, elevate, or justify your manhood, you're lacking. If being a "real man" or a "man" requires you to purchase a specific object, you're not one.

Never regretted buying my V6. Never regretted a dime I spent on modifying it. It was the right tool for the job at the time and thoroughly enjoyed the car. My lifestyle changed, so I moved to a V8. Still miss the old car even though I love the 8 to death. If I could have kept both I would have.

As far as transmission goes, I wanted an auto. 95% of my driving is in traffic and there is zero benefit to an M6 when you're sitting there staring at someone's bumper, no matter how you try to spin the narrative. Actually there's no benefit to the 8 in that case either. I sat there in my IROC one day dropping F-bombs while sitting in 1 mile of traffic dead stopped, swearing up and down that my gen6 wasn't going to be a stick. Manual was absolutely useless. And I am very much an enthusiast.

In the end, I ended up with an M6 because it was the color and had the options that I wanted at the price I was looking for. Given the issues with the A8, I'm actually relieved that I went with the M6, but let's not pretend there's this mountain of feedback and control when you're boxed into a lane idling at 15 mph. If your situation allows you to run the car through corners for most of your use? Absolutely a manual is far more fun. If your situation is like mine? Pffft. I have 3 manuals (17 2SS, 87 IROC, 90 Miata) and 2 autos (14 2LT, 02 Sierra). I prefer my truck if I'm going to sit in traffic with my thumb up my ass. If I'm in the corners, I love the SS. If I'm cruising one of the slow routes through some of the scenery, the '14 with the top down is perfect.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #186
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
To also input my view, I never test drove the V6. I knew I wanted the V8 from the beginning. Why? Because I wanted the experience what it is like to drive a V8 sports car before they become cost prohibitive and/or fiddled up with turbo’s( I am a fan of naturally aspirated engines). Is the V8 a waste for my intended needs? Absolutely, it is my daily driver and unfortunately don’t have any tracks near me( have drag strips, but that doesn’t interest me). But I absolutely love the sound of the V8 and how effortless it is to drive it on the streets. Would I have been happy with the V6? Absolutely especially since I could have loaded it up like my 2SS with the only exception to having MRC. I would have also loved to get the stick. When I test drove one with the M6, I loved it. It was incredibly fun to row through my own gears( despite stalling it a few times due to my novice level skills in driving sticks) and active rev match became addicting just for the sound. But as stated, it’s my daily. I drive in rush hour traffic and it would suck the fun out of driving the car. If it was my weekend toy, it would have been a stick.

If you have the room in the budget, go with the V8 especially if it would be your first car with a V8. I do believe if you’re a car nut, one should experience a car with a V8 if able to. But, you won’t regret the V6 either.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #187
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
So, did the OP ever decide? This thread has totally devolved... lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #188
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
MUH V8!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #189
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Let's preface this by saying, if you need a stick, a V8, or some nonsensical totem to define, elevate, or justify your manhood, you're lacking. If being a "real man" or a "man" requires you to purchase a specific object, you're not one.

Never regretted buying my V6. Never regretted a dime I spent on modifying it. It was the right tool for the job at the time and thoroughly enjoyed the car. My lifestyle changed, so I moved to a V8. Still miss the old car even though I love the 8 to death. If I could have kept both I would have.

As far as transmission goes, I wanted an auto. 95% of my driving is in traffic and there is zero benefit to an M6 when you're sitting there staring at someone's bumper, no matter how you try to spin the narrative. Actually there's no benefit to the 8 in that case either. I sat there in my IROC one day dropping F-bombs while sitting in 1 mile of traffic dead stopped, swearing up and down that my gen6 wasn't going to be a stick. Manual was absolutely useless. And I am very much an enthusiast.

In the end, I ended up with an M6 because it was the color and had the options that I wanted at the price I was looking for. Given the issues with the A8, I'm actually relieved that I went with the M6, but let's not pretend there's this mountain of feedback and control when you're boxed into a lane idling at 15 mph. If your situation allows you to run the car through corners for most of your use? Absolutely a manual is far more fun. If your situation is like mine? Pffft. I have 3 manuals (17 2SS, 87 IROC, 90 Miata) and 2 autos (14 2LT, 02 Sierra). I prefer my truck if I'm going to sit in traffic with my thumb up my ass. If I'm in the corners, I love the SS. If I'm cruising one of the slow routes through some of the scenery, the '14 with the top down is perfect.
When I’m in traffic I’ve learned to feather the throttle in 1st or second and pace myself so I don’t have to shift often. But even if I do, it’s so second nature since I’ve owned nothing but manuals since 1997 that I don’t even notice it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #190
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugoodle View Post

The important thing is this life is short. Enjoy what you have. But my question is, if streets are made of gold in heaven, what are we driving on them???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Nothing. God went green.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #191
EJamesJr

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 Manual 6-Speed
I LOVE that the 4th post in this thread said the thread would go on for 10 pages with it devolving into a “you’re not a man if you don’t have a V8.” Hysterical!
EJamesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #192
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I bet my Chevy Bolt would give a V6 Camaro a run for it's money 0-60
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #193
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
The Bolt is rated at 6.7 seconds, not that far off, but not that close either.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #194
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
One of the sad things about owning the new fabulous ZL1, I guess.

Too afraid or unwilling to drive it every day so you decide to slum it around town in the Chevy Bolt. Then, on the weekends you take it out only to get hassled by a 4 door luxury sedan called the Tesla P85.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #195
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
One of the sad things about owning the new fabulous ZL1, I guess.

Too afraid or unwilling to drive it every day so you decide to slum it around town in the Chevy Bolt. Then, on the weekends you take it out only to get hassled by a 4 door luxury sedan called the Tesla P85.
10k miles on the ZL1 since I picked it up in May, it’s been a daily driver. Bolt can use the car pool lane, it can save me a lot of hours a week
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #196
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMI View Post
Nothing. God went green.
as mark twain once said"so was it heaven?or hell?"
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote