Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Whole different forged crank and rods.
That is going to be expensive to R&D. I would think prohibitively so. Good on you if you go down that path, but it would be a looooooooong time until you would see a profit on this endeavor.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
That is going to be expensive to R&D. I would think prohibitively so. Good on you if you go down that path, but it would be a looooooooong time until you would see a profit on this endeavor.
I don't think the interest is there to make it profitable. I've already got most of it worked out on paper. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what I'm going to do about pistons... I'm sure not going to buy them from ZZP. I have a stock 2.0 piston on the way also, I'll send it to Wiseco and see what they can do for me. Rods are easy, and I've already got a source that makes my forged LFX rods for me. It's a shame I can't use the LFX rods, that would make things REAL easy.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #17
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
OBTW - One of the Hemi tuners has made some nice gains on VVT engines by modding the tables to maximize the VVT technology.. So, it can be done.

I'm sure the cam timing in the stock tune isn't optimized for maximum performance. Probably a mix of minimum allowable performance where needed, but more focused on the emissions, and fuel economy. They say these engines don't need an egr valve because of the variable valve timing, that tells me it's probably too focused on emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
Jason@jacfab
what do you do for a living ... I wana join lol
If you count going in the hole buying random GM parts to test/play with a job, you're welcome to join any time

Quote:
Jason, when I win the Lotto you, me a Trent will build a monster 4 banger.
I need to win the lotto myself.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #19
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
I would definitely be interested... But wouldn't be purchasing till 2018 some time. If when you crack open the spare block and find some extra meat in the web of the bore, would you consider a bore job and custom pistons? Also, after stroking the LTG would you be worried about the stock redline (or even a slightly higher one) or would the stronger parts make this a moot worry?
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
suzook

Drives: camaro
What am I missing here? Why dump so much $ into the 4cyl? Shouldn't you just buy a v8??
Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #21
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
What am I missing here? Why dump so much $ into the 4cyl? Shouldn't you just buy a v8??
Why not?... For some (me at least) I plan on tracking this car and didn't want the extra 300lbs on the nose, other reasons also I'm sure... Also, it only costs me $76/month Canadian to insure...
Same could be asked of the guys modding the V8's... Why not buy a Ferrari or an Aston or something (extreme example maybe, but it makes my point I think)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #22
Corner carver

Quote:
A spare engine is the only way to go...

But, if I went this way I would also be looking at head and cam work, custom intake, custom exhaust, bigger turbo, bigger inter-cooler, catless down pipe, custom exhaust and a tune. One more thing, I would suspect that a 30 over bore would require new liners.

Once all the above was done and tested I would working the drive train, brakes and wheel package. Now stuff all of it in a Raven ATS black coupe and go hunt some V8's.
Yes, yes and yes... However I'll go at it backwards and start with the suspension and drivetrain upgrades/mods, then add the power
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #23
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Yes, yes and yes... However I'll go at it backwards and start with the suspension and drivetrain upgrades/mods, then add the power
Add some power first. Not all the crazy mods, but some power. Just doing suspension gets old fast.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Quote:

I have more fun trying to make a "slow" car fast than a fast car "faster"...

Old 12-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #25
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I have more fun trying to make a "slow" car fast than a fast car "faster"...

^ that!
Back in the late 90's my little 1.6 civic used to mop up mustangs and vettes all the time. I can't even count how many times some cocky a-hole pulled up next to me just to run his mouth about how great his v-8 is, in some attempt to impress the girl with them in the car. It was just priceless to hand them their own ass, slow down and ask "what happened?" While the female in the car is cracking up.
You need much more power these days, but it's not that hard to pull 800+whp out of a 4 cylinder. It's mostly going to come down to, what else besides the motor will be a weak point.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #26
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
You've underestimated the 4cyl. You don't need to dump that much in to make V8 numbers. A car with a *good* tune, e85, down pipe, and 3 inch exhaust has been 12.1 in the quarter. You're talking less than $2k in mods and tuning. That seems pretty cheap to me! I know Jason is discussing a stroker idea in this thread, but very few people will go to that extreme.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #27
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
^ that!
Back in the late 90's my little 1.6 civic used to mop up mustangs and vettes all the time. I can't even count how many times some cocky a-hole pulled up next to me just to run his mouth about how great his v-8 is, in some attempt to impress the girl with them in the car. It was just priceless to hand them their own ass, slow down and ask "what happened?" While the female in the car is cracking up.
You need much more power these days, but it's not that hard to pull 800+whp out of a 4 cylinder. It's mostly going to come down to, what else besides the motor will be a weak point.
Well I know the weak point on my ATS is going to be the trans. I have the 6 speed auto, but for lower HP cars. And I haven't seen anyone out there modifying them yet. At least the Camaros have gotten the newer 8 speed auto, which is supposed to be stronger.

The weak point of my Camaro is the clutch. It can barely hold on with the stock power.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #28
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Well I know the weak point on my ATS is going to be the trans. I have the 6 speed auto, but for lower HP cars. And I haven't seen anyone out there modifying them yet. At least the Camaros have gotten the newer 8 speed auto, which is supposed to be stronger.

The weak point of my Camaro is the clutch. It can barely hold on with the stock power.
Agreed; an extra 70-100ft/lbs and a few hard launches will probably make short work of the stock clutch... Mind you 5-6 back to back launches at around 3000rpm and the stocker was still holding up and not slipping; we'll know when guys start turning the wick up on these and slap on some drag radials what the stock driveline can handle