Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2023, 06:52 AM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
You don't have to agree with it because those were actual complaints voiced on this very forum back when the 6th gen was introduced. I remember it very well. There was definitely backlash here(Camaro5) because the exterior styling wasn't different enough and because the interior looked cheap and boring. Some of those folks eventually warmed up to it but not everyone liked it at first.

As for Dodge. Well, they have the best marketing team on the planet and they use it to sell those cars, along with great incentives. Something GM hasn't cared about at all when it comes to the 6th gen. They didn't even try to advertise the Camaro to help sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
Rarely in the history of any car maker did they ever drop a vehicle/marque that was profitable, especially if predicted to remain that way.

Truth is that if GM saw Camaro as profitable going forward then they'd keep making them.

When Camaro only ever accounted for 20% of muscle car sales (2020) profitability was a challenge. When their market share fell by half again to less than 10%, then it looked like a death spiral. And it was.

Could GM have supported Camaro to boost sales and make it work? You'd reckon so. Did they try hard enough? Doesn't appear so. Is it part of a longer term business strategy that may or may not work. No doubt.

Best of luck GM. And I wont ever be selling my gen 6.
Other than NASCAR you are correct, GM did little advertising for the Camaro. But as I’ve said and been bashed for GM knew it made the Camaro for a very specific buyer. It has no broad appeal except to the target customer, existing Camaro buyers. So advertising a car with limited appeal simply doesn’t work and GM knows this. So advertising the Camaro is akin to advertising Left Hand baseball gloves to Right Handers. And a reminder the long time champ in this segment did no advertising either. .

Last edited by Number 3; 04-06-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:09 AM   #30
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Other Han NASCAR you are correct, GM did little advertising for the Camaro. But as I’ve said and been bashed for GM knew it made the Camaro for a very specific buyer. It has no broad appeal except to the target customer, existing Camaro buyers. So advertising a car with limited appeal simply doesn’t work and GM knows this. So advertising the Camaro is akin to advertising Left Hand baseball gloves to Right Handers. And a reminder the long time champ in this segment did no advertising either. .
Someone will usually parse between marketing, advertising, and commercials. Yeah Dodge makes commercials. Mustangs and Vettes seemed to show up quite often on youtube. Was the 6th gen featured in any popular video games? Product placements? even lego sets?
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #31
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
Free Guy is the only thing I can think of recently where they had a ZL1.
TPW 8/23 24 Jul 2021
3400 30 Jul 2021
3800 26 Aug 2021
4000 1 Sep 2021
6000 14 Sep 2021
57 Days from accepted order to delivery.
19 Days from build to delivery.
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #32
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Why would a consumer be drawn to a product the manufacturer doesn't seem to care about? We've seen articles for years speculating the specific date of the Camaro's demise so it was no big surprise when the official announcement came.

Dodge found a way to keep the same design relevant from 2008 - present. They are sending the Challenger out with another Demon pushing over 1000hp. No commercial needed.

The 5th Gen had Transformers. The 2014 refresh was presented on Live with Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan. An odd choice I thought. The 6th Gen was lighter with a chassis still considered one of the best. 1LE became available with the V6 and I4 and the ZL1 is a beast. When they moved Al away from the program they stopped introducing packages people care about and drive sales. With EV as their direction forward and Corvette as the pinnacle of their two door car offerings, Camaro was left to die.

I get that two doors cars are nearly extinct (cars in general) and that the segment we care about might go away all together. It's just frustrating that the equity built by these nameplates could, and in the case of the Mach E is, be applied to a vehicle not representative of the name. If the Camaro comes back as an SUV I bet gm will put in more effort.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #33
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Other Han NASCAR you are correct, GM did little advertising for the Camaro. But as I’ve said and been bashed for GM knew it made the Camaro for a very specific buyer. It has no broad appeal except to the target customer, existing Camaro buyers. So advertising a car with limited appeal simply doesn’t work and GM knows this. So advertising the Camaro is akin to advertising Left Hand baseball gloves to Right Handers. And a reminder the long time champ in this segment did no advertising either. .
All you have to do is watch any Mecum or Barrett Jackson auction to see the problem. Special edition Mustang of every conceivable type, right up to the current model year, sold at ridiculous prices. Camaros, yawn, nothing except an occasional modded car, nothing commissioned or sanctioned by GM.

GM is only selling Camaros to existing Camaro owners because they aren't making the slightest attempt to create any new ones. You can't blame the demise of the car on the lack of customers when you have made it clear you don't even care about the ones you have or even delivering cars you have built and sold (buying a 2022 last year was like going on an endless snipe hunt).
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #34
Domitian

Drives: Camaro 1LS
Quote:
I was not an existing Camaro buyer and an eventually chose to order 6th gen for its manual transmission, customizability (e.g. choose your spoiler, choose your decal, choose your seats), 2+2 as opposed to 2-seater, healthy horsepower and torque (even on base models), and relative affordability, as well as a better inventory situation then the gr86 or Z as I didn't want to wait 12 months for a new car.

So increased marketing would definitely help increase sales, though i'll admit if it didn't have a manual option it would never have even crossed my mind to buy one.
built & VIN number - 03/01/2023
4300 - 03/03/2023
Delivered - 09/28/2023
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:24 PM   #35
Clear141

Drives: 22 SS 1LE
Chevy- find new roads.
Us- find new leadership
Clear141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:27 PM   #36
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear141 View Post
Chevy- find new roads.
Us- find new leadership
Funny you say that! My brother has been a LONG time Chevy lover…well over 20 years and even worked as a Chevy dealership mechanic in his youth. With Chevy canceling the Camaro he abandoned his ZL1 search and just bought a new 2023 Mustang GT. He figures if Chevy doesn’t want us, apparently Ford does. And the Mustang comes with forged pistons and port injection right out of the box. Hard to argue.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:17 PM   #37
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Funny you say that! My brother has been a LONG time Chevy lover…well over 20 years and even worked as a Chevy dealership mechanic in his youth. With Chevy canceling the Camaro he abandoned his ZL1 search and just bought a new 2023 Mustang GT. He figures if Chevy doesn’t want us, apparently Ford does. And the Mustang comes with forged pistons and port injection right out of the box. Hard to argue.

I am basically with your brother except I have a Camaro and plan on keeping it. In 2028 I am hitting the big 4-0 and that year I am planning on adding a 2028 Mustang to the stable with the Camaro.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #38
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I will never understand this mindset. Were existing Camaro buyers born with their very own Camaro gene, or were they, at some point, convinced to buy the car?

How about putting just an iota of effort into expanding this segment with new/converted buyers, because this approach of "we don't care anymore, because we can't expand the user base, because we marketed the product to existing users and the design has limitations" is simply defeatism, if not outright laziness. And after this, I find it much harder to believe they care about other segments, so the likelihood of me (or my family, or some of my acquaintances etc.) buying a GM truck or SUV has also severely diminished.

Quarterly ROI and profit metrics are for the short term only, and I don't think people buy products from company X because said company is profitable, I couldn't care less about their financial success, they aren't my company. Okay, maybe I do care some about the financial viability of their business model, but not if it's based on screwing over customers* and burning through goodwill that took decades to accumulate.

* Let me define what I mean: insane prices, obsolete and expensive dealership model, subscription based and/or time limited features, no ICE engines, no manual transmission... just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other ways, too.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:39 AM   #39
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I don't understand why it is being cancelled. The price is very good in the market., It's and older design but still very good imo. Are they not selling and makeing profit they want?
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #40
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
I don't understand why it is being cancelled. The price is very good in the market., It's and older design but still very good imo. Are they not selling and makeing profit they want?
Currently its selling in less volume than the corvette... that is not a recipe for success
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #41
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
No, the 6th gen hasn't sold well. Arguably the best muscle car, but targeted at the existing Camaro fan base, which has been in decline and faced strong competition from Dodge and Ford over the years

The price is decent since they shared the production cost with the Cadillac sedans but Cadillac has since moved to the Alpha2 chassis.

Get ready for an EV replacement.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:17 PM   #42
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
The Mustang coupe is going to die too. Coupes just don’t sell anymore. I’m not going to get into why because that will cause a ****storm but people don’t want/can’t buy them anymore.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote