Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
bmlocal175

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Black M6 PDR
2017/18 ZL1 or Grand Sport

Looking for some feedback on the subject now that summer is winding down, from people that have driven both.

Which one did you end up buying?

The GS and the ZL1 have had nothing but glowing reviews. Two different cars but still a car that is in a lot of garages.

I will use this as a weekend car and will never track it or drag it, probably. Maybe screw around at Watkins Glen, since its close, not sure how it works but saying probably never.

Might take a look at each tonight or tomorrow, haven't even seen a 6th Gen Camaro yet in person.
bmlocal175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
It's really apples and oranges. The A10 is better than anything in the Corvette and in a straight line the ZL1 will be faster. Personally I'm liking the Camaro a lot more a long with about a half dozen close friends that sold their Corvette's and now have a ZL1. We all seem to agree that the Camaro is just more pleasurable to drive and own.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
bmlocal175

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Black M6 PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut2006 View Post
It's really apples and oranges. The A10 is better than anything in the Corvette and in a straight line the ZL1 will be faster. Personally I'm liking the Camaro a lot more a long with about a half dozen close friends that sold their Corvette's and now have a ZL1. We all seem to agree that the Camaro is just more pleasurable to drive and own.
Thanks, that is the feedback I'm looking for. I will get a manual.
bmlocal175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Z/Camaro

Drives: C8 and 280z/280zx/300zx
Been having this problem of choice myself for a while. I was all set to trade my '12 Vette GS for the new '17 GS after initial desire from the masses wore off. Of course by then my ex, whom I'm still good friends with, got herself a new krypton green ZL1. She previously had a '14 1LE. Seeing and driving the new ZL1 I was suddenly not so sure about getting the Vette GS.

From what I've found most people will either tell you get the GS: 1) because it's a corvette (all ego/name/prestige) or 2) because the GS handles so nicely that you don't care it's not as fast (lighter car and therefore feels better). The arguement I get from the Camaro side is that the ZL1 will beat it in a straight line while still corning just as well.

I'm not a track guy by any means. I like to have fun with the car club or on my way to work. I do occasional auto-x or drag for fun, not competition. So while I will use the cars performance I will never be seeing the slight differences between the two. I can tell you that the ZL1 does have power on tap for ages while the Vette seems sufficient. For me it comes down to two things. The current Vette isn't that much better than my current Vette, so not sure I can justify the expense. The Zl1 on the other hand is cheaper than the base GS and comes fully loaded. Plus I'll get a car that actually feels better than my current car.

Driving my car vs the new vette I can tell it handles better and is faster, but it's marginal. Driving the ZL1 I'm surprise the car handles as well as it does for it's size/weight and it's dramatically faster than my current Vette. Plus there have been several cruises through the curves and my Ex has been right on my ass with the ZL1 with her later telling me that she could have gone faster. Fact of the matter is if I want a new GS I'll be looking at a car that is roughly 10k more for an equally equipped ZL1. I think I'll just go ZL1, save some money, and call it good.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I can't speak for the Corvette as I've never driven one. However, at car events I have mount countless stringray owners who traded in their car for a ZL1. The main reason I got was the "looks of the ZL1", and "smooth drive it offers".

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
My father has a 17 GS with the a8 and I have a 17 ZL1 with the a10. Just different cars... The Vette does have better overall handling, but when pushed it is definitely more sketchy at the limits than my ZL1. While the limits are higher, you just do not get that warm embrace when approaching the limits that you do with the ZL1. I have pushed too hard in my ZL1 and it just tapped me on the shoulder and said "slow down there speedracer, I've got your back, but you need to simma don na" whereas the GS says "once you cross that line I'm going to b***h slap your a**". And there is no comparison in a straight line hense why my father went to Advanced Modern Performance on Friday to inquire about adding a supercharger.. lol
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
My father has a 17 GS with the a8 and I have a 17 ZL1 with the a10. Just different cars... The Vette does have better overall handling, but when pushed it is definitely more sketchy at the limits than my ZL1. While the limits are higher, you just do not get that warm embrace when approaching the limits that you do with the ZL1. I have pushed too hard in my ZL1 and it just tapped me on the shoulder and said "slow down there speedracer, I've got your back, but you need to simma don na" whereas the GS says "once you cross that line I'm going to b***h slap your a**". And there is no comparison in a straight line hense why my father went to Advanced Modern Performance on Friday to inquire about adding a supercharger.. lol
I'd think with the Z07 package at least, the GS would feel more stable.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I'd think with the Z07 package at least, the GS would feel more stable.
That I cannot speak to as his does not have the Z07 package, and it is not terrible by any means. Just not as confidence inspiring as the ZL1. With that being said, if you ever DO reach the limits of a GS on the street then you are pushing reeaaally hard....
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Sub'd.

Kicked this around myself.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
redwhiteandblue

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlocal175 View Post
Looking for some feedback on the subject now that summer is winding down, from people that have driven both.

Which one did you end up buying?

The GS and the ZL1 have had nothing but glowing reviews. Two different cars but still a car that is in a lot of garages.

I will use this as a weekend car and will never track it or drag it, probably. Maybe screw around at Watkins Glen, since its close, not sure how it works but saying probably never.

Might take a look at each tonight or tomorrow, haven't even seen a 6th Gen Camaro yet in person.
That's exciting! May be worth comparing insurance costs for both?
redwhiteandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
I can't speak for the Corvette as I've never driven one. However, at car events I have mount countless stringray owners who traded in their car for a ZL1. The main reason I got was the "looks of the ZL1", and "smooth drive it offers".
Why do you mount the owners of Stingrays?? I didn't know that was something that happened at car shows!

The new C7's are too small for tall guys so it made my choice easy. I'm waiting to see the 2SS 1LE, if it doesn't knock my socks off I'll get a ZL1. I think they are both really nice.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
I had the same dilemma. Ultimately, I couldn't get a GS spec'd the way I wanted in the price range I wanted. The ZL1 basically comes fully optioned for the cost of a base GS. That was the real deciding factor for me.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #13
ZL1st

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I owned a 2016 Z06 and now have a 2017 ZL1. I have driven both cars to the 85% mark and the Z06 wins hands down (much better driver feedback and precision control). I will say that I found the ZL1 cornered comparable to the Z06 at sharp corners at lower speeds (50 mph), but the Z06 takes it easy above that. So Z06 wins it for me for the backroad performance, but if you take 200hp away from it (like in the Grandsport), the ZL1 takes it without a doubt. Plus in my opinion the ZL1 interior is better. Get the ZL1 over a grandsport, but if you are considering a Z06 at all, it's a much harder choice.
ZL1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
WhiteBoy18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Summit White M6
Same as others here, I traded in the c6 for a 18 ZL1! Bottom line is you gotta go with your gut because everyone will have their own opinion! Here's my 2 cents...after weighing out the options my decision was mostly based off the ZL1 being a different party then the base c6gs or c7gs...your stepping into Z06 territory...with a back seat! They are different cars and each have their advantages, but let me just say...supercharger! And very reliable at that. You mentioned you don't plan doing anything too aggressive with it, so if it's primally a fun car better to be able to have fun and take a few passages (very small passages as you will find out).

Again go with what you personally like best because it's gonna be your car payment...just don't forget....supercharger! lol Good luck!
WhiteBoy18 is offline   Reply With Quote