Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #29
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
I have a TS stage 3.2 VVT CAM. I went with what Texas speed recommended, Circle D 3200.
I’ve yet to race my car, but it is my DD and I hate the stall. I’m going with the 3.91 gears within a few months. Maybe that will help. But right now in my DD scenario it just feels like I’m screaming around town at the speed limit. No cruising at under 2500rpms. Can’t even use 6th gear below about 65mph (I think that’s due to my cam). Mild/normal daily driving isn’t fun. But hard pulls and breaking the speed limit is now twice as fun and 3 times as easy. I still wouldn’t give up my cam to go back to stock stall.
I hate mine on the street with the Yank 3200 converter in it now. Unless you floor the damn thing it doesn't feel like its doing anything until you hit 3000 rpm. It is definitely less fun at anything less of stomping on it.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #30
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I hate mine on the street with the Yank 3200 converter in it now. Unless you floor the damn thing it doesn't feel like its doing anything until you hit 3000 rpm. It is definitely less fun at anything less of stomping on it.
Exactly. I don’t think I’m accurately saying what I’m thinking lol. The car is 100% daily drivable. There’s nothing wrong with it. But comparing my daily driving experience before the stall and after, the stall kills any joy of DD it. But when you stomp on it, it is a fun fun time.

I think a lot of my dissatisfaction comes from the fact that everyone said it would drive like stock, there was no difference, you won’t have a problem and on and on. So my expectations was something resembling stock torque down low and it’s just not possible with a stall. 🤷*♂️
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #31
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I 100% use my paddles. How does the converter work with the paddles? Does it improve the experience at all for you or is it the same? I don't have a converter yet and am very curious how it will behave with the paddles.

I guess the way you guys are explaining it, driving slowly in first gear with the paddles would be nearly useless as you won't get anywhere until you are near 3k rpms with the engine screaming in a parking lot. I am just having a hard time making it work in my head.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #32
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I just put a zl1 6L90 in my rebuilt 6L80 so I could keep the daily driver smoothness. It was fine for me since I road courses mine...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #33
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Ok, so I have bolt-ons, 3.91s and a 3200 Circle D converter and it's a beast. I don't feel that daily driving is a chore at all and I would never go back to how it was. For those who are hating the stall, maybe the tune is off? Maybe it's my 3.91s that are helping?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #34
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I 100% use my paddles. How does the converter work with the paddles? Does it improve the experience at all for you or is it the same? I don't have a converter yet and am very curious how it will behave with the paddles.

I guess the way you guys are explaining it, driving slowly in first gear with the paddles would be nearly useless as you won't get anywhere until you are near 3k rpms with the engine screaming in a parking lot. I am just having a hard time making it work in my head.

To answer your question, the converter doesn't change the feel of the paddles at all...so with your bottom paragraph, no, that's not how it works.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 11-18-2019, 03:55 AM   #35
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
You guys need a proper tune like mine that locks the converter under part throttle usage and releases it and lets the stall do its work under heavy throttle or wot. Mine engages at any speed over 25mph and only releases below that mph, over 25 percent throttle or downshifting. Took a wee bit of getting used to, but I truly have the best of both worlds. In M mode, it stays locked up 100 percent of the time from 20 mph on up.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #36
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

I drive 100% with my paddles also. You don’t have to get the RPMs up just to start out or idle around a parking garage. When I let off the brake at a dead stop my car goes forward at idle. Anything under 10mph the car feels stock. It’s getting up to speed from a stop that takes getting used to. In normal dd I’d change to second gear around 20mph. But now at 20mph, the car is doing 2500-2800ish RPMs, I switch to second and since the RPMs aren’t over the stall lockout speed it will still be at roughly the same engine speed. So when you aren’t punching it, your slowly getting up to speed and it feels like your engine is just screaming the whole time. Switching to a higher gear has a very small effect on the RPMs. Typically I don’t come out of 1st or second till about 4,000rpms, 3rd about 3500 RPMs. I cruise in 4th for 45-55mph, 5th cruising speed is about 55-65mph and I don’t see 6th unless I know I’m staying above 65mph. Stop n go traffic is the worst when you have a peddler in front of you. It feels like you are constantly reving your engine to go 35-40mph then hard slowdown back to 20mph, then immediately reving it to get back to the car in front of you.

These are my experiences. From what I was told, my stall doesn’t have a “programmable” lockout speed. I don’t have 3.91 gears yet, I’m thinking they will have a big impact for us with stalls. It’s next on the list.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #37
LCPLPunk
USA-1

GAD..maybe your problem is the paddle shifting...I mean, you are purposefully holding it in gear so if it's screaming at any point while not under full throttle that's on you...

Old 11-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #38
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
I think I will run mine for a while with the stock converter, after all I am only going to a Stage one Cam. If I don't like the way it drives or performs then it is a simple step to put a Stall in it. This car will never see a track and will be driven on the street 100% of the time. It also is Nice that I have a Resto-Mod 80 Vette with manual transmission and a Roller Cam 383 bored .060 over, Brodix heads, Erson Cam, Doug Thorely Headers and Side pipes. It trots pretty good!

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:38 AM   #39
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Sad to hear that MeanV8. I daily mine in rain, snow, etc and the converter is hands down the best mod I've done...honestly, if I were you, I would make sure you have the regular bolt-ons, and instead of a cam do 3.91s and the converter.

My car sees the track once every...never.

So, when i first got the converter I remember hitting the throttle and thinking holy shit, this is awesome! BUT, I figured that's generally how people think with a new mod and the excitement would die down, but nope. About a year later I still drive the car around and think damn, this thing is a beast!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Sad to hear that MeanV8. I daily mine in rain, snow, etc and the converter is hands down the best mod I've done...honestly, if I were you, I would make sure you have the regular bolt-ons, and instead of a cam do 3.91s and the converter.

My car sees the track once every...never.

So, when i first got the converter I remember hitting the throttle and thinking holy shit, this is awesome! BUT, I figured that's generally how people think with a new mod and the excitement would die down, but nope. About a year later I still drive the car around and think damn, this thing is a beast!
Unfortunately what is right for one is not always right for everyone. That is obvious from reading this thread. It is not like if I don't put the Stall in when I make most of the other mods I am doomed to never be able to do it. I am doing the cam as much to get rid of the dod and crap lifters as I am for the extra HP, and the 3.91's are a for sure deal right off the bat. Time will tell if I end up with a converter. It probably won't be the end of the world either way.

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #41
GAD

Quote:
GAD..maybe your problem is the paddle shifting...I mean, you are purposefully holding it in gear so if it's screaming at any point while not under full throttle that's on you...
Negative. Unless it’s over the lockout RPM every gear is the same RPM (roughly). So it’s pointless to shift to a higher gear for less torque and the same RPM as the lower gear.

Maybe I didn’t explain it well in the book above. If I’m doing 2800 RPMs in first, the stall is still slipping. I switch to second, the stall is still slipping now at 2700 RPMs. So unless I hold it till after the stall stops slipping, it’s pointless to shift gears because I’ll still be running the same RPM as the lower gear.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #42
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Ok, so I have bolt-ons, 3.91s and a 3200 Circle D converter and it's a beast. I don't feel that daily driving is a chore at all and I would never go back to how it was. For those who are hating the stall, maybe the tune is off? Maybe it's my 3.91s that are helping?
I have the same, including a true trac, T/L's and T/A's, DSS 1000hp 1/2 shafts and 125hp nitrous for the strip.

The key to the converter is the tranny tune.

Dynosteve @ RDP did a fantastic job on mine via the SCTX4....it took a few adjustments, and me send him passes made at the strip and normal driving.
My car cuts 1.4X 60' times at the drag strip, and drives fine on the street.

The only thing is stop/go driving on the city in summer. You MUST have a transmission cooler to keep the temp below 185*.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote