Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
After all of the R&D we did and my 34 years in business I can spot a hot air kit a mile away.

I also look at data on a daily basis from these off brand junk, (the reason from my post)

When the IAT is ridiculously high compared to ambient or climbs with RPM it is obvious they are pulling Hot air from under the hood.

Rotofab, CAI, ADM are the best ones we tested in no particular order.

We almost exclusively use CAI or Rotofab simply because they work the best fit the best and look the best.

Just wanted to share for all the new guys joining the Camaro 5 community.

Ted.
I'm glad you're not afraid to tell it like it is. I know you guys have been a sponsor for many years here and have offered helpful advice countless times so thank you for the initial post and this one quoted above especially. There's places to save and performance parts are necessarily one of them. There's a reason why some of the high dollar parts are high dollar, they've been researched, tested, and put through real life experiences to make sure that they are going to perform in ALL conditions. Other brands may look nice or are shiny or claim numbers, but often times if they're cheap, they're cheap for a reason.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I have a K&N Blackhawk on my SS... How do know if the ones we have are any good versus the "Rotofab, CAI, ADM" brands?

joe...
Pretty simple, Look at the so called heat shield, the gaps around it are huge and allow hot air to reach the filter.

The filter must be sealed off from the engine compartment 100% for best performance.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Very well, it was not available till years later but we have tuned many of them and like the results and data.

Ted.
Good to hear, it's been the one I've been thinking about when I go for long tubes. Keeping with my stock intake for now until I feel it needed. But wanted to make sure that actual shops like you guys were getting good results with it.

Thanks

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #18
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
After all of the R&D we did and my 34 years in business I can spot a hot air kit a mile away.

I also look at data on a daily basis from these off brand junk, (the reason from my post)

When the IAT is ridiculously high compared to ambient or climbs with RPM it is obvious they are pulling Hot air from under the hood.

Rotofab, CAI, ADM are the best ones we tested in no particular order.

We almost exclusively use CAI or Rotofab simply because they work the best fit the best and look the best.

Just wanted to share for all the new guys joining the Camaro 5 community.

Ted.
All I am saying, and dont take this the wrong way, is that "because I said so" is not a reason....

I appreciate you sharing what you run into daily but lets look at what we are dealing with. Your testing was done in 2009/2010 and there are more intakes on the market now that are not listed. I'm not saying you are wrong. We all know there is a lot of Chinese crap on the market for just about everything you can imagine however if you tell people not to buy something and then throw up a spreadsheet that does not support the comment, it discredits the statement.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
All I am saying, and dont take this the wrong way, is that "because I said so" is not a reason....

I appreciate you sharing what you run into daily but lets look at what we are dealing with. Your testing was done in 2009/2010 and there are more intakes on the market now that are not listed. I'm not saying you are wrong. We all know there is a lot of Chinese crap on the market for just about everything you can imagine however if you tell people not to buy something and then throw up a spreadsheet that does not support the comment, it discredits the statement.
LOL I don't think this is a (because I said so) situation I bring over 45 years of experience to the table.

I didn't just throw up a spread sheet is it a link to a very long and explanatory thread.

Don't forget these cars were on the street 4/2009 and Part builders had these cars long before they were released as early as 2008

I did two separate tests because more Kits were hitting the market through the early part of 2010, and needed to be tested most of which failed and the resultant winners still stood tall.

If you read the spread sheet and understand the data it is clear this is not a I said so.

All of the systems that were developed after the fact have been just looking for ways to make them cheaper, and or copying designs that we already knew were substandard.

Other than the Z-28 Option which is pretty good.

for example; KN Typhoon, AF dynamics, are Identical which makes them both weak.

They won't copy anything good because it cost to much to make right.

Ted.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I don't think you really need much testing to figure it out. if the intake kit doesn't block off the hot air from the engine bay it isn't doing what it's supposed to. that is pretty easily seen by IAT
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I wish the ram air style (OTR) Vararam was tested too. I know my IATs drop massively the second I start moving but I am also interested in idle temps compared to the rest of those already tested. Would also like to see the gain difference as well.

But I understand these tests take time and money.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7š overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160š thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #22
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
LOL I don't think this is a (because I said so) situation I bring over 45 years of experience to the table.

I didn't just throw up a spread sheet is it a link to a very long and explanatory thread.

Don't forget these cars were on the street 4/2009 and Part builders had these cars long before they were released as early as 2008

I did two separate tests because more Kits were hitting the market through the early part of 2010, and needed to be tested most of which failed and the resultant winners still stood tall.

If you read the spread sheet and understand the data it is clear this is not a I said so.

All of the systems that were developed after the fact have been just looking for ways to make them cheaper, and or copying designs that we already knew were substandard.

Ted.

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #23
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:

Ted.
Not trying to argue man. Just saying. A chart without the specifics on the exact thing discussed doesn't support the argument. I get you have experience. I see what you post daily. I love the content. I watch the feeds almost daily. I'm just saying you should get some of these intakes out there and throw up some data. I'm sure some suck but I'm sure some are good enough. Sure they don't post up the highest numbers but I'm sure that some also offer some gains. China doesn't always copy crappy designs. They mostly just make crappy copies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by pnwdan; 10-18-2019 at 06:41 AM.
pnwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #24
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I have a K&N Blackhawk on my SS... How do we know if the ones we have are any good versus the "Rotofab, CAI, ADM" brands?

joe...
I've had the same one for years. You can see where the seal has worn away at the hood insulation. Its sealed, the only gaps it has is at the bottom, which is where the air is coming from anyways. The top is the important part. I'd suggest relocating the washer bottle and installing the air scoop except I have to self pressurize the remote washer bottle with an air hose before I leave the driveway if I expect it to work during my drive...

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #25
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I've also had the Blackhawk and there's a reason why I don't have it anymore......

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #26
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I've also had the Blackhawk and there's a reason why I don't have it anymore......
I don't know what that reason is. But my experience may just be different.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 AM   #27
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
This is an interesting thread. My general experience and just a few years of reading about CAIs has always suggested that they really don't offer much, regardless of brand. I've seen before and after dynos on You Tube and I just don't see any real world advantage to having one over the highly engineered GM product.

Visually they look great under the hood and they may even affect the sound that comes out of the pipes under heavy use but they just don't pencil out from what I have seen.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
This is an interesting thread. My general experience and just a few years of reading about CAIs has always suggested that they really don't offer much, regardless of brand. I've seen before and after dynos on You Tube and I just don't see any real world advantage to having one over the highly engineered GM product.

Visually they look great under the hood and they may even affect the sound that comes out of the pipes under heavy use but they just don't pencil out from what I have seen.
The good intakes mentioned was worth 0.25-0.3 seconds ET on every car we tried it on.