Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
chain777

Drives: Slow
6 gen warranty change?

Anybody see this?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...es-from-100000
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
hmmm...i wonder if competitors will either respond in kind, or use it against GM in marketing campaigns.

I imagine that perceived quality is a major factor in purchasing a car, it is for me, which is why I buy Toyota and Honda. When I bought my 2013 Pilot, I declined the extended warranty offered by the finance guy, he asked me why I didn't want it, my response "It's a Honda".

So, IDK, this may hurt them.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
No didn't see it, maybe it's just not required due to high quality builds.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
No didn't see it, maybe it's just not required due to high quality builds.
If they are building quality, then why not have a longer warranty?
If it is costing them too much money to have 100K powertrain, they reduce it to 60K isn't this indicative of lesser quality?

On the other hand, I think most manufactures have 5yr 60K, so IDK.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Saw it. No big deal to me. I don't do over 12k miles a year. I think these newer cars will be fairly reliable.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah I was trying to be optimistic...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I imagine that perceived quality is a major factor in purchasing a car,
Exactly my thoughts. To us performance enthusiasts, a large portion of us void our warranties within days of driving it off the lot.

I know the article says that GM believes that 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty doesn't rank high on buyers. However, the average Joe is going to see this and may think they are doing this strictly to cut costs and if they're doing it to cut costs, that means they are spending money on repairs in that 60,001 - 100,000 time frame which as a result the Average Joe will equate that to low quality / something that won't last high miles.

This doesn't really change how I feel about the brand but it may for the average Joe and his perceived quality of the brand.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
hmmm...i wonder if competitors will either respond in kind, or use it against GM in marketing campaigns.

I imagine that perceived quality is a major factor in purchasing a car, it is for me, which is why I buy Toyota and Honda. When I bought my 2013 Pilot, I declined the extended warranty offered by the finance guy, he asked me why I didn't want it, my response "It's a Honda".

So, IDK, this may hurt them.
GM has basically changed their warranty to equal most other OEMs, Toyota included. So there is nothing anyone can use against them for this.

Key is, they weren't selling any more cars for the 100,000 mile warranty. Likely supported by the reduction in Cadillac powertrain warranty a couple of years ago. Guessing that didn't hurt sales so it would support this move.

Quote:
If they are building quality, then why not have a longer warranty?
If it is costing them too much money to have 100K powertrain, they reduce it to 60K isn't this indicative of lesser quality?

On the other hand, I think most manufactures have 5yr 60K, so IDK.
Not indication of lesser quality at all. Think of it this way. All cars have problems. They have them throughout their useful lives. GM is simply saving money on normal warranty, not necessarily better or worse than the completion. This saves them $$ and allows them to plow that back into product development for better products down the road.

Plain and simple. If they were selling more cars for the 100,000 mile warranty (already reduced on Cadillac in 2013) then they would have continued the warranty.

Last edited by Number 3; 03-12-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
GLORIOUS!!!

GM never misses a trick.

Just in time for the subprime auto finance bubble to pop. Masterful.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #10
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Not indication of lesser quality at all. Think of it this way. All cars have problems. They have them throughout their useful lives. GM is simply saving money on normal warranty, not necessarily better or worse than the completion. This saves them $$ and allows them to plow that back into product development for better products down the road.

Plain and simple. If they were selling more cars for the 100,000 mile warranty (already reduced on Cadillac in 2013) then they would have continued the warranty.

wrong, you can say all what you want but people will see this as GM confirmation of the popular myth of Chevy being a cheap end ordinary car... just when they started to change this with cars like the Z06 and he C7, the SS etc.. they reduce the warranty, I see this as a very negative move, and something other companies with better warranty will push against, while companies with the current "standard" warranty will trash Chevy and say- "oh they low they warranty, that's bad sign" stuff like this can influence buyers minds... besides this also affect a important market like the Latino market in FL where the Latino is used to buy a car and keep it much longer than the average American, this is where a longer and more complete warranty its key to get a car, (at least from my latin family point of view) not happy... not happy at all
Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
not happy... not happy at all
What it will do is save them money from paying for repairs on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand used cars that people have just bought, but are barely within warranty. These 3rd and 4th hand customers come into the service dept with powertrain issues (because the previous owner didn't change their oil enough) and start demanding we fix their issues and if we don't they trash the dealer on FB and social media sites....call GM and complain...GM builds crap cars, etc etc etc. 100K miles is too long to be married to a car IMO. Hyundai and the other guys that have the 10/yr 100K powertrain is ONLY for the original owner!!!! You could have a 6 moth old Hyundai you just purchased from a used car lot and YOU have no POWERTRAIN!

I was very pleased to hear their 5yr/60K powertrain on '16s and newer goes with the car(not the owner). It still covers courtesy transportation (rental cars while powertrain repairs are made) and IT covers FREE towing to any Chevy dealer in the US. FORD DOES NEITHER under powertrain.

Chevy's new 5yr/60K will still be the best warranty in the business

To those of you that will say you are mad at Chevy....I encourage you to go buy from a dark-side brand....you'll be back
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
GLORIOUS!!!

GM never misses a trick.

Just in time for the subprime auto finance bubble to pop. Masterful.

Also good timing with all the new 2016 models coming out. The old warranty will have some value on pushing 2015s off the dealers lot !!
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
What it will do is save them money from paying for repairs on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand used cars that people have just bought, but are barely within warranty. These 3rd and 4th hand customers come into the service dept with powertrain issues (because the previous owner didn't change their oil enough) and start demanding we fix their issues and if we don't they trash the dealer on FB and social media sites....call GM and complain...GM builds crap cars, etc etc etc. 100K miles is too long to be married to a car IMO. Hyundai and the other guys that have the 10/yr 100K powertrain is ONLY for the original owner!!!! You could have a 6 moth old Hyundai you just purchased from a used car lot and YOU have no POWERTRAIN!

I was very pleased to hear their 5yr/60K powertrain on '16s and newer goes with the car(not the owner). It still covers courtesy transportation (rental cars while powertrain repairs are made) and IT covers FREE towing to any Chevy dealer in the US. FORD DOES NEITHER under powertrain.

To those of you that will say you are mad at Chevy....I encourage you to go buy from a dark-side brand....you'll be back
you know something? you are wright... still chevy warranty still pretty solid, only tie will tell how people see this, but GM should to a 10 years /100.000K warranty for first owner, and 6 years / 80.000 second hand owner...
Old 03-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

I agree with this comment other than a few quick points. The first is that Hyundai's powertrain warranty goes to 5 year/ 60k miles for anyone other than the first owner. Also, people don't know that their 60k "bumper to bumper" warranty only covers electronics for 3 years / 36k miles.

The second is that Hyundai/Kia's warranty isn't worth much while you have. My fiancee and I both had Hyundai/Kia cars at one point in the last couple years, and they won't fix ANYTHING until something is broken. Hard shifts are "normal," as are moldy smelling AC, turbo wastegates out of spec, wandering steering, malfunctioning electronics, and general poor performance in any weather over 75 degrees.

GM changing its warranty to fall in line with most of its competitors is just fine with me. Its not like they went back to their 3/36 warranty, although I wish they would do a 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper warranty instead of a 4 year, 50k bumper to bumper and 5 year, 60k powertrain. I've never had a car with engine problems, its always the electronics that seem to give me issues.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote