Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Nearly 85k miles and still running strong! Minor mods, tuned for only 93 and I love it. It's doing a number on my back but I'm in the process of buying a new truck to rebuild my engine in the camaro and TT it.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #30
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Mine has been DD since day 1. Including in winter time. Cant complain..couldnt be happier. No Issues at all...just minor...AC blower was making a chirping noise and got replaced by gm warranty. It runs on premium all the time...highway I get around 700 kms in a single tank and city about 400 kms....of course..if you drive it easy... I treat her once a year with Krown rust proof, and wax every 6 week. Still looks and drives like a charm...
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #31
LunarEclipse

Drives: 2013SS IOM LS3

Snapshot of my mpg, DD SS for 15 months now.... but I do have mods hah
Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
AllBlackSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post

Snapshot of my mpg, DD SS for 15 months now.... but I do have mods hah
What app is that?
AllBlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #33
suzook

Drives: camaro
6.2 does NOT require premium. It will run just fine on regular.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #34
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmike View Post
What app is that?
I also would like to know
Desertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #35
LunarEclipse

Drives: 2013SS IOM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertion View Post
I also would like to know
Tis an app called roadtrip. been using it since 2011 or so, its awesome!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #36
evergrn

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day.

How are these cars holding up with high miles? 67k, no problems except for rock chips

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. I have an auto, and no problems

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? You can use regular, but I found the performance and gas mileage suffered a lot (I get 22-24 MPG on premium, I got 13 on Regular)

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs? Nothing yet...

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? I survived the past 2 winters daily driving the camaro. NJ roads, in the country, so no plows till everywhere else is plowed. I only got stuck once in 7 inches of snow on a slight incline. I've been using toyo proxies 4 all seasons.

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? I heard that rusting isnt a problem on newer cars, I spray the under carriage with the coin op car wash wand after every snow storm to get the gunk and salt out.

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak? No sun roof, sorry I cant help here

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods.

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. I'm a 28 year old male, IN FREAKING NJ, and full coverage costs me $92 a month. Honestly, it shouldnt be too bad for you in PA

Thanks for your answers, hopefully soon ill be sharing pics of my new car.
Ill chime in too. Answers in red above.
evergrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #37
Kashef

Drives: 2014 SS
Please keep it coming guys, I have the same exact questions as the OP.

My biggest concern is which transmission is the most reliable and if there is any known Issues with the standard against automatic?
Kashef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #38
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
daily drive v6 non rs automatic. have 12000 miles one yr ownership. the non rs comes with 19 all season all around. drove through a couple blizzards in Ohio. zero problems, took wife's 2012 explorer and broke it loose in the snow 4x4 mode, easier than the camaro in snow..sunroof no issue.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #39
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day.

How are these cars holding up with high miles? I have 34k on my 2011 1SS, So far, everything still feels tight. Daily driven in the spring/summer/fall. Basically it still feels like a new car inside and out. I do have a few rock chips and scratches, but you will get that driving any vehicle.

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. I have the manual tranny, it's a great transmission, just don't go ape shit and rev the hell out of it when it's cold. It likes to be warmed up.

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes, if you run below 91 octane in the SS your ECU will set you on a lower octane setting and it will adversely affect your power and mpg. Do a search on the "fuse pull" on these forums to learn more.

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs? Still under warranty here for the powertrain (kinda) I've had 3 ac belt replacements (crankshaft pulley being out of alignment was the final culprit, took my dealer 3 tries to get it right.) A window seal replacement, and a heater core replacement. The earlier model camaros had some issues with the heater cores going kablooey. No clue why it was never a full on recall, but the issue was fixed and my dealership took very good care of me.

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? Can't help ya here. I put mine away when the snow flies. I've gotten caught in a flurry before with my Nitto Invos, they worked well enough, but I drove extremely cautiously.

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? I'm notorious in my circle of car buddies for taking my car out way too early. I have no corrosion protection or treatment on the underside of the car. Had my SS up on a lift last week, zero rust. I am a maniac when it comes to washing the car though.

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak? No sunroof here, but I don't know anyone who has had issues with theirs. (we have a ton of em in UpstateC5)

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods. Ha.

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. Sorry, started on the SS.

Thanks for your answers, hopefully soon ill be sharing pics of my new car.
Can't wait to see what you end up buying and building. Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #40
Stormwalker
Lacks clever title

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
6.2 does NOT require premium. It will run just fine on regular.
Only if you consider reduced performance and lower gas mileage due to retarded timing to be "just fine". The difference between the high and low octane spark advance tables is huge. Why would you ever shell out for the SS if you're going to cripple it with cheap gas?

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, 1965 Mustang coupe (289/auto), 1987 Kawasaki Vulcan 88

Last edited by Stormwalker; 06-04-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
Stormwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #41
Sibian

Drives: 2011 LS
49k on my 2011ls not a single issue. she's my daily driver, summer and winter.
Sibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #42
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
45,000 miles on my 1lt/RS and it still feels showroom tight. My daily round trip is 60 miles. Stock RS/SS tires wear out too quick and pick up too many rocks and sling them at the car for a daily driver so I went with the General Gmax for replacement and they even resist hydroplaning so much better - this type of a tire is a must have for a daily driver IMO. Average MPG on the DIC since owning the car is still at 23.4 and that's even hitting tripple digits here and there. The first few weeks I babied the car and was at 26.8MPG average. I hit the advertised 28MPG no problem when taking it easy on the highway using the torque app. I use premium gas for piece of mind that I'm getting the most out of the engine (I also went to Mobile1 full synthetic oil). Main complaints - Paint chips and scratches too easy and AC isn't as strong compared to other vehicles I've owned but I like everything else better.

Must haves for daily driver Camaros:

• GM Splash guards
  • 3M Clear Bra and over the gill area
  • Good all season tires for SS/RS guys that come stock with PZeros
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote