Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
RyanD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE MBM
Rust behind third brake light

Hey guys,

I'm swapping out my third brake light on my 17 SS 1LE for the GM dark version. When I removed my original light I found rust, mainly where the retaining clips on the light contact the trunk lid.

I've never done any rust repair myself and normally I wouldn't be afraid to touch these spots up myself since it's in a hidden area. The only thing is I can see some bubbling spreading under the paint by one of the spots which makes me think it wouldn't be an easy repair. Got an estimate from my body shop, $900 to repair and then repaint the trunk lid.

Have you guys seen this before? Any recommendations on how to repair this before I install the new light? Thanks so much in advance!
Attached Images

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Lift the floor mat and see if any water or rust in the deep part of the trunk. Hopefully just the gasket around the light leaking and not the main trunk lid seal.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #3
Hostile_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE | Satin Steel
At that point, I would take it as sign to get a carbon fiber trunk. only an extra $500, it won't rust, and its lighter.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
It’s an easy repair if you know what you’re doing and aren’t worried about complete perfection to your eyes. I’d be a little concerned that the rust has carried past the bubbled area. Not a huge deal, but that adds to the time / complexity a bit.

Don’t take what I say as gospel, but this is what I’d do.

Use a tiny screw driver to peal back the loose areas. Use a Dremel with a small, straight stainless steel wire brush to clean the rust (low speed, light pressure). Use Q tip and coat the steel (only) with rust reformer (let dry completely), spray rustoleum primer on a Q tip and go over the rust reformer (let dry), Get yourself some touch up paint. The important part here is very light coats and a very small brush. You can do a couple light coats in a day, but that’s it. Wait a couple days for those coats to dry (the paint will shrink). Recoat if necessary, or very lightly polish exposed edges (things you’ll be able to see when reassembled). Reassemble when all is completely dry.

I like the idea of checking for water in the trunk. That makes a lot of sense on what may have started the process or may even be a result of the light seal failing.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
Just a light sanding with some 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Tape off the area out side where the rust stops. Dry it good, Spray a little rust stop let is sit and dry good the then pick up some touch up paint that matches your color, year, of car. The part is after sanding lightly pull the tape then, tape again each time you do anything different. All so really light coats on each step so you don't get sags or runs. It may not match exact, but the light will hide most of what you did anyway. Good luck
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #6
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Looks like it's time to part it out.

But seriously, whatever repair method you attempt, make sure you're VERY thorough and that you check on it and the area around it, periodically even after the aforementioned repair work. Just to make sure it doesn't spread unnoticed.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:42 AM   #7
RyanD

Thanks all for the recommendations, really helpful, I'll look into all of these!
Old 09-22-2023, 06:27 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I would only be concerned about it hitting the paint in the future sometime, it's already in to the paint, the rust on it's own I don't care about, per se. I don't know if you're still in any outside chance of the warranty as far as rust and corrosion, isn't that >5yrs/60K whatever?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:30 AM   #9
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Rust through corrosion warranty is 6 years 100k. Not sure if this falls under that but I figured I’d mention it as there’s a small chance your car is a late 2017 and might be just under 6 years old.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:44 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalLDMC View Post
Just a light sanding with some 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Tape off the area out side where the rust stops. Dry it good, Spray a little rust stop let is sit and dry good the then pick up some touch up paint that matches your color, year, of car.
^ this.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:55 AM   #11
RyanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Rust through corrosion warranty is 6 years 100k. Not sure if this falls under that but I figured I’d mention it as there’s a small chance your car is a late 2017 and might be just under 6 years old.
Just checked this....expired in July, just my luck
Old 09-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #12
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I do think you can diy it with some sand paper and a Rustoleum though Im sure there are better coating type products than available. Me myself I would tackle that that a body shop and that cost.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:06 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I do think you can diy it with some sand paper and a Rustoleum...
If the rust is not visible with the light in place, I would go the sandpaper and rustoleum route.
This is based on my experience with driers on the liquid line for A/C condensers. They always rust (I live close to the ocean) and the factory paint pops off. HVAC guys want like $300-400 to replace these, which includes the recovery/recharge... blah, blah, blah. I read on an HVAC forum that you can just sand off most of the surface rust and spray them with rustoleum. Might have to redo it every 2-3 years, but the drier will last as long as the condenser. Sure enough, this works!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #14
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
If you don’t want to tackle it yourself try a different body shop. I had rust on the very lower portion of the inside of my drivers side door just above the factory caulking on my last 6th gen. Body shop did exactly what people here are suggesting you do to fix it. Only paid like 250.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote