Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
ʍoןǝq

Drives: Cars
Debating between LS and LT

I am debating choices, so I was wondering if you guys can help.
So I plan on buying a V6, but I don't know whether or not to buy an LS or LT. I am 80% positive I will turbocharge the car, or twin turbos. I was wondering if it is better to just buy a 1LS and add leather seats, and just build it how I want. Or buy a used 2LT/RS and go from there. The 1LS sounds more fun because I do what I want to it and it will be new. So tell me what you would do?
ʍoןǝq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ʍoןǝq View Post
I was wondering if it is better to just buy a 1LS and add leather seats, and just build it how I want. The 1LS sounds more fun because I do what I want to it and it will be new.
Sounds like you already know what you want. Go for it!

Nice name by the way!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Buy a used SS!!
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I bought a 1LT car. Cloth interior like the 1LS (2012 cars, BTW) but it had the firmer suspension package, power seats on both sides, true Sport Mode and paddle shifting on the transmission (different programming in the 2LS cars), fog lights, more performance oriented rear end gear ratio, nicer stock wheels (aluminum 18s vs steel 18s) and a factory spoiler. The little bit of money was well worth the changes.

Granted the differences in 2013 may be different. I know the LS car comes with the old radio now while everything above that has the My Link, for example.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
I bought a 1LT car. Cloth interior like the 1LS (2012 cars, BTW) but it had the firmer suspension package, power seats on both sides, true Sport Mode and paddle shifting on the transmission (different programming in the 2LS cars), fog lights, more performance oriented rear end gear ratio, nicer stock wheels (aluminum 18s vs steel 18s) and a factory spoiler. The little bit of money was well worth the changes.

Granted the differences in 2013 may be different. I know the LS car comes with the old radio now while everything above that has the My Link, for example.
I never knew about those, now I might even buy a 1LT/RS new. THX
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Buy a used SS!!
Insurance=too much
Gas=4.60 here, already own 2 V8
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014camaro View Post
Insurance=too much
Gas=4.60 here, already own 2 V8
You're quoting gas prices when you say you're going to turbo it?

Sorry, got you confused with the OP.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
You can always get the LS and add leather seats later on if you want. There are some here that did some diy and have threads on changing the cloth out for leather.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
If I truly wanted to buy a v6 and replace everything in it I'd probably go 1LS. There's a couple of members on here who started out with LS cars and they're as sharp as ZL1's. don't know their names but one of them has a synergy green and the other has a white one.

But whatever you do make your first project be to change out the steelies.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post

I don't think there's any difference in suspension between LS/LT trim levels (definitely is between v6 and v8). Available tire sizes/packages may affect handling/ride though. And if he's looking for a manual (1LS), he doesn't need to be concerned about gearing/sport mode/paddle shifting issues. Manual transmission gearing and rear diff gearing are the same for 1LS and the LT trims, AFAIK. The 2LS is definitely different, though (I'd avoid that).

Another consideration, based on what the OP is talking about doing to the car, is the electronic speed limiter, which is set at the factory based on the speed rating of the tires the car comes originally equipped with. The LS is set at 118 mph, I believe, until you get up to the 2LT (which comes with Z rated tires, I think-someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I think the 2LT is limited to 145 mph, and the RS models get W rated tires, so the 6 cylinder RS's get a limiter bump to 155 mph.

Of course, all that can be changed with a tune, which if you're talking about turbocharging anyway, you're probably gonna do.

EDIT: I stand corrected; according to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...pZIojGrLuCpclAthis brochure, the LS models and 1LTs with 18" wheels are limited to 113 mph, the other v6's are limited at 155 mph.

Wow, giant Tapatalk link insert fail. :(
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting

Last edited by 911medic; 02-26-2013 at 11:25 AM.
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
The guy talking about turbocharging (the OP) and the guy talking about gas prices are not the same.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Our turbo builds still get 28 mpg on the interstate......and power to beat most un modded SS's in the 1/4 mile.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I don't think there's any difference in suspension between LS/LT trim levels (definitely is between v6 and v8). Available tire sizes/packages may affect handling/ride though. And if he's looking for a manual (1LS), he doesn't need to be concerned about gearing/sport mode/paddle shifting issues. Manual transmission gearing and rear diff gearing are the same for 1LS and the LT trims, AFAIK. The 2LS is definitely different, though (I'd avoid that).

Another consideration, based on what the OP is talking about doing to the car, is the electronic speed limiter, which is set at the factory based on the speed rating of the tires the car comes originally equipped with. The LS is set at 118 mph, I believe, until you get up to the 2LT (which comes with Z rated tires, I think-someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I think the 2LT is limited to 145 mph, and the RS models get W rated tires, so the 6 cylinder RS's get a limiter bump to 155 mph.

Of course, all that can be changed with a tune, which if you're talking about turbocharging anyway, you're probably gonna do.

You could be right. I just know the window sticker on the LT cars said 'Sport Suspension' while the LS cars said nothing at all. Probably just differently valved shocks if anything. I will compare RPO codes one day.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ʍoןǝq View Post
I am debating choices, so I was wondering if you guys can help.
So I plan on buying a V6, but I don't know whether or not to buy an LS or LT. I am 80% positive I will turbocharge the car, or twin turbos. I was wondering if it is better to just buy a 1LS and add leather seats, and just build it how I want. Or buy a used 2LT/RS and go from there. The 1LS sounds more fun because I do what I want to it and it will be new. So tell me what you would do?
Go with the used LT/RS. You're going to void the warranty anyway by adding stuff.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote