Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Service Airbag message?

Hi,

I have a 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS and just today i got a "Service Airbag" message on the DIC when I started up the car.

I looked throughout the forum to try and pinpoint the exact problem, but none really matched what I've experienced. I never have any passengers in my car, so my passenger airbag light is off. I haven't moved my seating position at all on both driver and passenger seats for months, so I highly doubt its wire-related.

However, some say that there's an airbag sensor or module located in the dash that may be the cause of this problem. Recently since about 2 months ago, I've noticed this rattle-like tap sound right in the middle of my dash. It sounds as if it is coming from behind the stereo head unit and inside the dash. I was wondering maybe this sound I'm hearing could be a loose or damaged airbag sensor that is causing my car to give me this "Service Airbag" message.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
Hi,

I have a 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS and just today i got a "Service Airbag" message on the DIC when I started up the car.

I looked throughout the forum to try and pinpoint the exact problem, but none really matched what I've experienced. I never have any passengers in my car, so my passenger airbag light is off. I haven't moved my seating position at all on both driver and passenger seats for months, so I highly doubt its wire-related.

However, some say that there's an airbag sensor or module located in the dash that may be the cause of this problem. Recently since about 2 months ago, I've noticed this rattle-like tap sound right in the middle of my dash. It sounds as if it is coming from behind the stereo head unit and inside the dash. I was wondering maybe this sound I'm hearing could be a loose or damaged airbag sensor that is causing my car to give me this "Service Airbag" message.

Any suggestions?
Hello,

Very sorry to hear about your airbag concerns as I certainly understand the displeasure you're feeling. I am able to research any recalls potentially associated with your concern if you send me your full name and VIN. While I realize you're seeking community opinions, I want to extend an offer of assistance to get the process involving an official diagnosis started if needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
klawrencepdx

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS black,CAI,RAMair
Airbag Sensor

Hi there, I had the same issue.
The first time my passenger sat down and moved the seat it triggered the sensor. I fiddled around with the cables underneath and got lucky enough that is stopped. But only for 2 weeks then popped again.

Then went to the dealership for service and they "Fixed" the problem.
Well they fixed it for a few months anyway.

My wife sat down in the passenger seat last night and the airbag sensor went again. This is getting to be frustrating! Should I pull a fuse and reset or keep scheduling my car for warranty service every month or two?

Cheers from Portland!

klawrencepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
is there anyway to reset the whole code system. like battery or something to that manner ..

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
ryzrs10

Drives: Victory Red 2012 2SS Auto
I thought there was a recall on this. I will try to find it for you.
ryzrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
ryzrs10

Drives: Victory Red 2012 2SS Auto
I'm having trouble with the link but the service number bulletin number is 13v023000.
ryzrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
I got this resolved. Thanks for those who replied.

The dealer said they just reprogrammed the computer. No more service airbag messages now!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
I got this resolved. Thanks for those who replied.

The dealer said they just reprogrammed the computer. No more service airbag messages now!
Ryan,

Thanks for your update. I'm happy that your concern was resolved. Please feel free to contact me if any further concerns arise.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
its a wiring issue, actually a connector issue, the harness was put together too tight at connectors and over time the wiring stretches in the connectors. I have found the connectors in the backs of the seat to be the culprits. If the techs probe the wires they test ok its only if you pull it apart and LOOK at the wiring that you see the problem. I have simply moved the harness a little and problem is gone for good.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote