Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
Cp Rooks

Drives: 2023 2ss & 2021 Indian Scout
Fender Rust

This has been brought up before but has kind of been tossed out the window. I've had this car for a year and installed the Deluxe ZL1 Addons rock guards and the clips are rusting. I didn't think about the back side of the fenders until about a week later. Anyone think this'll cause them to rust out after 5-6 years? Only way to check if it is starting to is to remove the guards and take out the fender liners and look at the coating on the back of the fender
Attached Images

Cp Rooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:37 PM   #2
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
I would follow up with them about that condition. Here are mine, installed in DEC 2020 and with over 14K miles of use, including commuting in the rain.
Attached Images

The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
Cp Rooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
I would follow up with them about that condition. Here are mine, installed in DEC 2020 and with over 14K miles of use, including commuting in the rain.
Interesting. I'll have to email them and see if they've had any complaints. I'm probably more paranoid because I've been doing a lot of rust repair at work, but I dont think anyone wants rust from installing rock guards. Definitely don't feel like dealing with it down the line either. I didn't trust just the 3m tape on these without the clips but didn't think about the rust that might form
Old 02-18-2024, 02:32 PM   #4
The Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp Rooks View Post
Interesting. I'll have to email them and see if they've had any complaints. I'm probably more paranoid because I've been doing a lot of rust repair at work, but I dont think anyone wants rust from installing rock guards. Definitely don't feel like dealing with it down the line either.
Agreed 100%! That's why seeing your photo got me to hop right out in the garage and take a look at mine. Let us know what you hear from ZL1 Add-ons, and thanks for the warning as I am sure other folks with these will want to take a fresh look to see if a similar condition as yours has developed.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:28 AM   #5
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Have a read of my posts on this thread. The ZL1 addons hardware did cause corrosion/rust on my fenders which I had to treat. I then used better hardware to reattach them whixh hopefully won't cause the same problem https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609296
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:55 PM   #6
Cp Rooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Have a read of my posts on this thread. The ZL1 addons hardware did cause corrosion/rust on my fenders which I had to treat. I then used better hardware to reattach them whixh hopefully won't cause the same problem https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609296
Dang I never found this post. Thanks, I also sent an email today.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:12 AM   #7
therVan

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Thanks, I couldn't figure out what the issue was.
therVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
Cp Rooks

Apparently my reply didn't post yesterday? I got a response and they said to kick dirt. "The biggest problem is cleaners that remove the black oxide coating. We can send you new clips of you want" I just replied no thanks. Looks like it's just something we'll have to check up on once a year or so on our cars
Old 02-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #9
The Maverick

Sorry to hear about the response from ZL1.

I just switched over to the stainless U clips recommended by UK2019 in that other thread. I crimped them a little bit to ensure a snug fit. They aren't black so they will stand out a bit more, but at least they aren't super shiny. I'll check for any rust inside the fenders from the old clips next time I have the front wheels off.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2024, 08:07 AM   #10
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
I also have these and greased them before I installed them...Just a very fine film of grease..they install easier and prevent and rust from forming. As I live where there is a lot of salt (not that I drive my car here in the winter anyways) It is always on my mind...

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:19 AM   #11
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackss View Post
I also have these and greased them before I installed them...Just a very fine film of grease..they install easier and prevent and rust from forming. As I live where there is a lot of salt (not that I drive my car here in the winter anyways) It is always on my mind...

Jason

That's a good suggestion - I'll try that when I install them this spring after emerging from hibernation
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote