Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
What you describe happens in Autocross venues across the country. Many are done in big parking lots.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Now I am confused. Boxing is legal in the state of Nevada, but only in the designated ring. Do they determine the exact ring by longitude and latitude? What about if a punch gets thrown at the weigh in? What about boxing gym's? Are their rings legally designated too? Can a sparring event take place outside a designated ring without participants being arrested ?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
It may very from state to state but if it's on your own property who are the police to tell you what you can and can not do. Did this on a buddies private property and the cops did come cuz it was right by a town. He just watched us and when we were done he came over and said I better not catch you on any public roads doing that. He said by the way nice burnout! So if it's your property let it rip
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong in posting this question. But if I own some commercial property with a parking lot and a loading dock area then am I within my rights to do burn outs in my parking lot? I have heard and also been told by the police that an accident in a privately own parking lot did not concern them and it would have to be settled between the insurance companies and no one would be ticketed. So does that mean if I'm doing burn outs in my back lot that it is no concern to them ? Thanks ahead of time for the input !!

Mods pleases delete if this is an inappropriate subject.
Since you live in Georgia, I found this covering your topic:

http://www.atlantaduilawyer.com/laying-drags/

Hope you find this helpful and good luck.

By the way, was there a charge under state law or local ordinance?
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
laying drag is will get you a ticket in Ga and I would imagine a lot of other states. However, if it is private property, don't see how they have any jurisdiction.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #20
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS
Just play by the rules
Old 10-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Now I am confused. Boxing is legal in the state of Nevada, but only in the designated ring. Do they determine the exact ring by longitude and latitude? What about if a punch gets thrown at the weigh in? What about boxing gym's? Are their rings legally designated too? Can a sparring event take place outside a designated ring without participants being arrested ?
Don't over analyze it, its really simple. designated ring in a boxing area is the ring thats roped off to the public. If a sparring event took place outside a designated ring and the public was posed at risk, then yes..participants can be arrested..and truly I believe even if no bystanders were at risk they could still be arrested for domestic violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie52 View Post
laying drag is will get you a ticket in Ga and I would imagine a lot of other states. However, if it is private property, don't see how they have any jurisdiction.
You see, the thing is people are assuming that Police do not have Jurisdiction on private property, this is not true. They do...The only thing they cannot enforce on private property are general traffic laws, such as speed limits, stop signs, ect and thats because these are Government mandated entities which must adhere to certain code and most private parking lots, streets, ect do not adhere to these codes thus making them unenforceable.. PUBLIC SAFETY laws however are still inherited within the private vicinity if there is any access to the public in any regard...so regardless if you own the property or not, you are still legally obliged to adhere to public safety laws. If you are doing something reckless even in your own private vicinity which may pose danger to the general public..then yes..a cop can cite you for it.

So basically, you run a stop sign in a parking lot - can a cop give you a ticket for running a stop sign? No, however; he CAN give you a ticket for driving in an unsafe manner which may endanger the public.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong in posting this question. But if I own some commercial property with a parking lot and a loading dock area then am I within my rights to do burn outs in my parking lot? I have heard and also been told by the police that an accident in a privately own parking lot did not concern them and it would have to be settled between the insurance companies and no one would be ticketed. So does that mean if I'm doing burn outs in my back lot that it is no concern to them ? Thanks ahead of time for the input !!

Mods pleases delete if this is an inappropriate subject.
If you want to leave black marks on your pavement I think that's your bidness and of no concern of the police. Thats like saying if you live out in the country and you have a couple green open field acreage next to a highway and you decide you want to take your car, jeep or whatever and do donuts, some jumps, open it up wide open across the fieid, stunts etc. How are the cops going to say you can't do it on your property?

Last edited by Marty McFlew; 10-16-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #23
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
So the OP can host a boxing event on his property if he ropes off an area, got it.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #24
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
So the OP can host a boxing event on his property if he ropes off an area, got it.
There is still some question about the legality of laying drags in a boxing ring
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #25
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Ask a friend in the local law enforcement and ignore all of us. You can actually be ticketed for a DUI on your own property in most states so I wouldn't be surprised if there's several other laws that you could possibly be breaking like a noise violation or unsafe operation of a vehicle. Also, I would do it during the day vs. late in the evening solely for the noise complaint issue. If it were me I'd just be safe and let it rip.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPER1LE View Post
Since you live in Georgia, I found this covering your topic:

http://www.atlantaduilawyer.com/laying-drags/

Hope you find this helpful and good luck.

By the way, was there a charge under state law or local ordinance?
Wow, this link was spot on....

"Even if the laying drags incident occurred on private property like a driveway or private parking lot, this element will not create a successful defense for individuals."

"The laying drags law also does not apply to drivers who are operating motor vehicles on any drag strips, raceways, or other places used for such activity."

"Being convicted for laying drags has the potential in a number of significant penalties including a one thousand dollar fine, increased insurance rates, and three points placed on the motor vehicle operator’s driver’s license, and even a potential of up to twelve months in jail time."
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
Wow, this link was spot on....

"Even if the laying drags incident occurred on private property like a driveway or private parking lot, this element will not create a successful defense for individuals."

"The laying drags law also does not apply to drivers who are operating motor vehicles on any drag strips, raceways, or other places used for such activity."

"Being convicted for laying drags has the potential in a number of significant penalties including a one thousand dollar fine, increased insurance rates, and three points placed on the motor vehicle operator’s driver’s license, and even a potential of up to twelve months in jail time."
Exactly what I stated from the start... It is a public safety concern, not a traffic law.. private property are not exempt from public safety laws...even if you own the property.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The property is yours to begin with right? So you can do whatever you want on it. You can paint it pink with purple polka dots if you want.

Police won't bother with accidents in a shopping mall unless a serious crime is comitted so you're safe.

Burn rubber baby!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote