Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #57
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Normally, if I'm just cruising not caring about fuel mileage I get right at 32 MPG 100% highway..... 100% street right at 26 MPG (My work commute is 100% street) I did actually try when I got the 41 MPG numbers.

This happened in the mountains between Pittsburgh PA and Atlanta Georgia I-79 and I-77, meaning more is possible if I really tried to but it would be too dangerous. I know it was accurate because I filled up in Wytheville VA and when I made it back to Atlanta I had 3/4's of a tank left (that was 351 miles in basically a quarter of a tank of gas.) You can also see I was doing 75 MPH (in 8th Gear and I was in manual mode as well but I was not hot-rodding) so I was not crawling either.. the way is, you have to know how the car works.. contrary to popular belief, keeping the car at a constant speed with cruise control does NOT always gauruntee you the best fuel mileage. You need to drive according to the condition and flow of the road and traffic.

How you do it is this...

First you have to know how active fuel management works
Second you're going to need to use manual mode
Third .. forget about cruise control, its too inefficient to achieve these numbers.

Active fuel management WILL work in Manual Mode UNTIL THE FIRST TIME YOU DOWNSHIFT why is this important? Because you'll need to switch to manual mode to hold 8th gear, the car is too aggressive at downshifting into 7th and 6th gear when it really doesn't need to.

Do NOT coast ... ANTICIPATE, this means if you're coming upon a long downhill section, look down the road, if there's an uphill section right after it and you coast downhill at the same speed without anticipating the energy needed to climb the upcoming hill, you will lose fuel mileage.. Instead ..slowly accelerate (using gravity to assist you) downhill - ONLY ENOUGH to keep the car running on 4 Cylinders and watch the fuel mileage indicator - you want to keep it at atleast 60 MPG ... When you come to the uphill portion, you will have generally gained so much momentum that you will not need to downshift, or even apply more gas pedal to completely climb and conquer the hill, meaning..I did not apply more gas pedal to climb atleast half of the hill, although I did slowly decelerate - I was still achieving 60 MPG while CLIMBING the hill, because I did not need to apply more fuel (as I was going generally fast enough to overcome the resistance of the hill until I reached the top of it while slowly allowing the car to decelerate without needing to use more than 4 cylendars in 8th gear and not slowing down to a speed below 65 MPH.. if I started going below 65 MPH I would downshift and climb the hill, pop it back in drive to reset active fuel management after I got to the top, and then back into manual mode in 8th gear and repeat the process.

The same applies on flat ground and rolling hills.. If you drive it right, mountains, hills will make absolutely no difference between flat land as long as you anticipate. I got the same mileage on I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta (rolling hills but much flatter than I-77 / I-79)... If you let the car control it, the car will only anticipate based on the road it is currently driving on, not the road ahead.

You will get light years better fuel mileage driving like that than just keeping your foot on the gas pacing the whole trip out.. but it takes work and you need to be aware of how fast or slow traffic is going around you.
Holy smokes man... you really want that mpg huh? That seems like a lot of unnecessary thinking for only a few mpg.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #58
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Holy smokes man... you really want that mpg huh? That seems like a lot of unnecessary thinking for only a few mpg.
That was a 10 MPG increase without doing a single mod other than changing driving behavior, definitely not a few MPG in that retrospect... but I only did it once and that was because I wanted to see just how good of fuel mileage it could get.. I am believing 45 is possible but it would make me too vulnerable to having a wreck.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #59
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #60
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
Better at everything eh? Sounds like someone has buyer’s delusion
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #61
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
You know nothing if your on here spouting the V6 is better then the I4 in gas mileage, reliability or anything else. I'm not gonna sit here and bash the V6 over my opinions i use facts and the truth is the I4 outshines the V6 in everything except exhaust note. Frankly if your not using premium in your V6 your losing some powerband so do your research. The fun in modding for some is making a slower on paper car faster the SS has a Huge aftermarket. Go get your NA V6 to run 11s with bolt-ons and a tune then talk til then your another forum lurker looking for attention who was upset he couldn't get the V8. So go trade in your V6 get your SS and we'll get on the track sometime.
Stock the V6 is better. That is why it costs more. the V8 is the best and costs the most.

It is faster, it sounds way better stock. Then you can add the NPP, cant do that on a 4.

If you are going to mod the shit out of your car then you should have bought a v8. It would be way more reliable at that point compared to a modded 4 cylinder.

If you are going to drive the T4 stock or bolt ons it is good value. But it is never going to be a SS, and it will never sound like the V6 NPP.

It is what it is.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #62
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Better at everything eh? Sounds like someone has buyer’s delusion
I stated clearly it does do better at everything except exhaust note stock for stock the V6 will put down a miniscule amount more power. More like I owned a 5th Gen V6 and had buyer's facts not oh it's a bigger engine and I can have NPP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Stock the V6 is better. That is why it costs more. the V8 is the best and costs the most.

How? Because it has 2 more cylinders and NPP options? Stock for Stock the V6 has a small HP increase over the I4 I agree but that's not a large hill to be standing on during a flood. If you really wanna get into this statement Half the record book on the Nurburgring costs more then a ZL1/1LE and don't do nearly as good.

It is faster, it sounds way better stock. Then you can add the NPP, cant do that on a 4.

Where is it faster are you just going from HP numbers have you ever run them on a track? I never said the V6 didn't sound better then the I4

If you are going to mod the shit out of your car then you should have bought a v8. It would be way more reliable at that point compared to a modded 4 cylinder.

How so? Because the V8 has a bigger aftermarket? Because the heavily modded V8's run turbo setups that will inevitably have the same issues a turbocharged 4-cylinder would have?

If you are going to drive the T4 stock or bolt ons it is good value. But it is never going to be a SS, and it will never sound like the V6 NPP.

This is what V8 guys said about the V6 during the 5th Gen days your just butt hurt and reading window stickers. If I wanted an SS I could've bought a cheap 5th Gen SS at that point.

It is what it is.

to bad you don't know what it is when you compare except for stock window numbers and figures.
All I've seen is V6 is better shoulda got a V8 well then why didn't you get a V8? Oh that's right you couldn't afford it well neither could I so I took my priorities for the Camaro I wanted which was I was going to race it and mod it and have fun with it and bought the I4 because I owned a 5th Gen V6. Have you seen the V6 aftermarket for the 6th Gen?!? Aside from a vastly overpriced supercharger kit I can't see it either. Gas mileage is not a valid argument why don't you go baby an I4 around town like you did the V6 ms. daisy and you'll probably never post the results for obvious reasons.

I would love to have a friendly race with you sometime so we can put this whole subject to bed. Plenty of tracks in NY between the two of us and I will be heading through that area for CamaroFest 8 unless they pull an out of nowhere and go back to Georgia.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #63
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
I stated clearly it does do better at everything except exhaust note stock for stock the V6 will put down a miniscule amount more power. More like I owned a 5th Gen V6 and had buyer's facts not oh it's a bigger engine and I can have NPP.

All I've seen is V6 is better shoulda got a V8 well then why didn't you get a V8? Oh that's right you couldn't afford it well neither could I so I took my priorities for the Camaro I wanted which was I was going to race it and mod it and have fun with it and bought the I4 because I owned a 5th Gen V6. Have you seen the V6 aftermarket for the 6th Gen?!? Aside from a vastly overpriced supercharger kit I can't see it either. Gas mileage is not a valid argument why don't you go baby an I4 around town like you did the V6 ms. daisy and you'll probably never post the results for obvious reasons.

I would love to have a friendly race with you sometime so we can put this whole subject to bed. Plenty of tracks in NY between the two of us and I will be heading through that area for CamaroFest 8 unless they pull an out of nowhere and go back to Georgia.
Bro you sound really butt hurt. The 5th gen V6 is closer to your 6th gen turbo 4 banger then it is to the 6th gen V6.

it's still slower than both of them but you're half a second slower than the 6. Also aren't you only like 275 horsepower vs 330 maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem just a little difference like you're saying.

And you could try to go with your car is lighter but I read it's only about 50 lb

Anyways Man fight the good fight I don't think anybody was bashing your 4 cylinder it's just not better than the 6 and it's just not better than the 8 like I said it is what it is.

Now if you're talking that you can mod yours for more horsepower than ours I don't know we've got the overkill you don't have that.

But this isn't about modding it out this is buying it and driving it our cars were meant to be driven they're not zl1s their daily drivers. Stock for stock the V6 is the better enthusiast car over the 4-cylinder.

The four cylinder may be good for the guys coming over from driving Imports and the millennials
Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #64
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #65
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
IMHO I would go with what you get better options wise IMHO I would take a loaded 2LT over a 1SS any day, I would take a loaded I4 over a 1LT.

For myself I am all about comfort creatures vs. performance I want my leather, HUD, spectrum lighting, upgraded radio, 8” MyLink, ect…

Back in 2009 I opted for a loaded 2LT/RS over a 1SS again I wanted the creature comforts plus I already had 2001 Z/28 in the garage so I had a V8. In the end I ended up driving the 2001 Z/28 less than 10 times In the next 6 years.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #66
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
The difference here is you settled, I didn’t. I didn’t want a V8. I’m not racing my car, ever. I wanted a V6. If I wanted to race, I would’ve gotten a v8, which I could’ve afforded.

I think you’re also fudging numbers quite a lot to make the i4 appear much better than the v6. Once both are tuned cheaply and slight cheap modifications are made, you’re neck and neck. The v6 eels out maybe 10-20 extra torque out of a perm has tune and intake, a turbo gets a lot more, but the v6 starts out ahead overall stock. Yes, 335hp is more than the 285 or thereabouts of the i4, stock vs stock. A higher peak torque readout isn’t an asset when you ignore your torque curve and just say “oh it’s fine”. It’s not great when your peak hp is that much lower, that means your torque dips down fast as it reaches 6000 rpm. With a tune there’s improvement down low in the i4, but up top it’s pretty much identical to v6 after tune. Nothing to shrug at for either, I’m just illustrating how minuscule the differences are.

Yes, on a budget the turbo with a tune gets better 0-60 and may be better for track than v6. Tuned vs tuned, however, and it’s pretty much not going to matter — that’s like arguing over who got the bigger serving of fries from McDonald’s. It goes down the same.

I enjoy no turbo lag, I prefer not skirting around warranty issues. I enjoy he sound and feel of v6. I enjoy the stock performance. And if the turbo took regular and sounded a bit better stock with a stock no lag turbo, I would’ve gone for that probably to save a buck or two. But if I were racing, I wouldn’t settle.
didn't really settle stated that as well I could've easily went and got a 5th Gen 2SS for what I paid for my I4. You have fundamentally ruined your argument by stating window numbers from the factory and even further dug a hole by not knowing the car and the mechanics/electronics of it everyone says these cars have turbo lag but they don't anymore then your V6 has throttle response issues because of the Drive-By-Wire system. Put your stock car on a dyno i'll put my stock I4 numbers up I think they're still on my build journal somewhere if not I can fish them off my computer.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 10-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #67
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Bro you sound really butt hurt. The 5th gen V6 is closer to your 6th gen turbo 4 banger then it is to the 6th gen V6.

it's still slower than both of them but you're half a second slower than the 6. Also aren't you only like 275 horsepower vs 330 maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem just a little difference like you're saying.

And you could try to go with your car is lighter but I read it's only about 50 lb

Anyways Man fight the good fight I don't think anybody was bashing your 4 cylinder it's just not better than the 6 and it's just not better than the 8 like I said it is what it is.

Now if you're talking that you can mod yours for more horsepower than ours I don't know we've got the overkill you don't have that.

But this isn't about modding it out this is buying it and driving it our cars were meant to be driven they're not zl1s their daily drivers. Stock for stock the V6 is the better enthusiast car over the 4-cylinder.

The four cylinder may be good for the guys coming over from driving Imports and the millennials
BTW that 7k Overkill system you have for your V6 I can go get a 2k ZZP Turbo full kit add another 1100 to go fully forged and wreck your Supercharged V6 and still be at a lower cost after install then just your parts for the overkill kit alone. Millennials actually hate the I4 Camaro as do most import guys because it's not an import and it does what they do. This was never a V6 sux argument for me it was made into that when you came out and said the I4 was a waste of money compared to the V6.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #68
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Yep nuff said driving with ms. daisy.
You're an idiot if you believe any of this driving was slow.. recheck the speedometer on the last image and you'll clearly see I was doing 75.
I said anticipation.. not moderation, the speeds ranged between 65 on inclines and 90 MPH on declines (Yes you CAN get 40 MPG @ 90 MPH)...These cars make their best gas mileage in 8th gear and Im barely turning 2 grand at 90 MPH - What makes it dangerous is the flucuation in speed and traffic surrounding you not being able to anticipate what you're doing...Most of this was only done as a test, HOWEVER; even without trying AND literally flogging the car every time I get a chance, hard accelerations and driving around town no highway I get 26 MPG all street...on the interstate not giving a rat about fuel I'm getting 32.. you may be getting more..but I highly doubt you're getting much more and definately not enough to offset the difference in the price of fuel (over $0.50 per gallon here) and before you try to pull the card that it doesn't make a difference... I'll just ask you... Why arnt' you in an SS?

If you're happy with your 4 cyl thats fine, I have no issues with that.. but to rub off that its the best platform when its clearly an entry level model is a different story. People who buy the 4 Cyl and V6 are not looking for a 500 HP beast but a quick machine that gets them to work - I specifically already have a V8 Camaro so there is no bug in my desires to mod either platform, its a waste of money - will it be fast? ANYTHING can be made fast with the right money thrown at it... Is it worth it though? Hell no, You're throwing your warranty away and its still going to cost you to keep up with an SS, and don't think that I mean just a tune and an intake and exhaust.. I mean reliability... You might become as fast or even faster than an SS, but the SS will keep the warranty AND last longer... I already have a fast car.. I want a reliable quick sports car that I want to keep STOCK and commute in..and my V6 does just that and in that bias base of not modding it ..the V6 wins hands down end of story.

Buying brand new a car on a budget and then modding it well outside of warranty provisions is pretty stupid. - I don't apply the same anology to the SS because that is NOT a budget car, that is an ENTHUSIAST car.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #69
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
You're an idiot if you believe any of this driving was slow.. recheck the speedometer on the last image and you'll clearly see I was doing 75.
I said anticipation.. not moderation, the speeds ranged between 65 on inclines and 90 MPH on declines (Yes you CAN get 40 MPG @ 90 MPH)...These cars make their best gas mileage in 8th gear and Im barely turning 2 grand at 90 MPH - What makes it dangerous is the flucuation in speed and traffic surrounding you not being able to anticipate what you're doing...Most of this was only done as a test, HOWEVER; even without trying AND literally flogging the car every time I get a chance, hard accelerations and driving around town no highway I get 26 MPG all street...on the interstate not giving a rat about fuel I'm getting 32.. you may be getting more..but I highly doubt you're getting much more and definately not enough to offset the difference in the price of fuel (over $0.50 per gallon here) and before you try to pull the card that it doesn't make a difference... I'll just ask you... Why arnt' you in an SS?

If you're happy with your 4 cyl thats fine, I have no issues with that.. but to rub off that its the best platform when its clearly an entry level model is a different story. People who buy the 4 Cyl and V6 are not looking for a 500 HP beast but a quick machine that gets them to work - I specifically already have a V8 Camaro so there is no bug in my desires to mod either platform, its a waste of money - will it be fast? ANYTHING can be made fast with the right money thrown at it... Is it worth it though? Hell no, You're throwing your warranty away and its still going to cost you to keep up with an SS, and don't think that I mean just a tune and an intake and exhaust.. I mean reliability... You might become as fast or even faster than an SS, but the SS will keep the warranty AND last longer... I already have a fast car.. I want a reliable quick sports car that I want to keep STOCK and commute in..and my V6 does just that and in that bias base of not modding it ..the V6 wins hands down end of story.

Buying brand new a car on a budget and then modding it well outside of warranty provisions is pretty stupid. - I don't apply the same anology to the SS because that is NOT a budget car, that is an ENTHUSIAST car.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #70
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:

Very well said brother