Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Patching Run-Flat Tires is illegal?

So I learned today that patching run-flat tires are illegal, and the only way is to replace to tire with a new one.

Of course, I've had run-flat tires patched before that held for 40k miles. Is this a scam?

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Discount Tire patches for free I can't imagine it is illegal if a large national brand does it.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
legality implies a law was created which none have been.... At most this would be something that is not advised by the manufacturer.

However, plenty of businesses will patch runflats as long as the hole is not near the sidewall.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
They probably dont want to assume liability. Like patching a certain distance from the sidewall and more than 3 plugs/patches a tire
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Uh...no? Its manufacturer dependent if a run flat can be repaired or not, and not illegal by any means. As long as the puncture is within the outer rib lines of the tread, its usually repairable. If its beyond the area, or in the sidewall, you need a tire.

What the shop may have been referring to is the Rubber Manufacturer Association's guidelines for tire repair.

Using just a rope plug, or just a patch is NOT considered a safe or proper repair. 95% of shops don't due those anymore. The RMA wants the use of a combo plug/patch repair device.

Have a read:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...ers-say-ok-but

Quote:
Goodyear

John Abbott, a principal tire engineer with Akron-based Goodyear, has for more than a decade primarily been responsible for putting the company's EMT (extended mobility tire) into production.

Like Michelin, Goodyear says its run-flats can be repaired—after a thorough inspection.

``We found that damage to the run-flat doesn't really start until about a third of the way into the tire's run-flat capability,'' he said. ``So any time prior to that, before any visible damage takes place, the tire still has all the integrity of the new tire and can be repaired if it gets punctured.''

The puncture must be in the tire's crown area. Damage to a sidewall or belt edge cannot be repaired.

``With the low-pressure warning system, it's very rare that a motorist needs to run on a flat tire for very long,'' he said. ``If you're in a position where you need to run it flat, you can do so. But keep the mileage to a minimum.

``If no internal damage has occurred, it just becomes a normal tire repair.''

Since first offering run-flats in 1995 on some Corvette models, he said Goodyear has had few, if any, incidents of tires returned due to damage from running deflated. He credits the low-pressure warning sensor—in many respects, the lifeline of the system—and the fact the EMT tire is designed to be driven for a time without air.

Only trained Goodyear dealers are authorized to sell and work on run-flats. When servicing or repairing them, Mr. Abbott said dealers must make sure they don't damage the inflation sensor strapped to the wheel. The tire maker also has ``demanded'' its dealers use an inflation cage because some of its run-flat tires require more than 40 psi to seat the bead.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

https://www.ustires.org/system/files/tire_repair.pdf

https://www.ustires.org/tire-repair-basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
SSTonyHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6M
Thats BS. I recently had mine patched at the Goodyear store. They did a plug and a patch. Good as new.
SSTonyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I assume the concern is ...did you run it flat and weaken the sidewall of a tire rated for 150 mph?

I had one patched last year due to having picking up a nail but it's still held air. I was told the manufacturer says it can't be patched but they did it anyway.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
It is illegal. 2 years in State prison.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
So I learned today that patching run-flat tires are illegal, and the only way is to replace to tire with a new one.

Of course, I've had run-flat tires patched before that held for 40k miles. Is this a scam?
I had mine patch 4 months ago. Holds air as well as the other 3.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #10
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
It is illegal. 2 years in State prison.
HAHAHA. I like this guy....

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Ugh, some of the tire shops. More worried about making money instead of making future customers. I've had both of my rear run flats repaired with no issues.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post

Did the person who provided you this info also happen to have some brand new tires that they wanted to sell you?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
Terrellford12

Drives: 2010 SS/RS & 2017 SS/RS
Doubt it. Had mine repaired before can’t see why it would be illegal if you can driver it to the shop to repair it. ����*♂️
Terrellford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Not illegal. Someone just wanted to sell you a tire
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote