Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Leons032

Drives: 2017 All Black Camaro SS
First Oil Change

Hi All,

I am now going on 4k miles. I have heard of owners saying that they did their first oil change at 4k on a new car. They say because the engine is new and to avoid any loose shavings in the engine. The manual says:

"All 2004 and newer Chevrolet vehicles are equipped with the Engine Oil Life System. This system calculates engine oil life based on vehicle use, taking into account vehicle speed, climate and driving habits to let you know when it is time to change your Chevrolet’s engine oil. Vehicles equipped with this system will display a warning message when it is time to change the engine oil. When the Engine Oil Life System light comes on, have your Chevrolet’s engine oil changed as quickly as possible. The days of having to change your Chevrolet’s engine oil every 3,000 miles are over!"

Anyone have any input on this? Does it matter or should it be as the manual says?

Last edited by Leons032; 10-17-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Leons032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Enthusiasts change the oil early because they like to get the mfr crap out of the engine. Chevrolet, and all manufactures, don’t consider that to be a problem so therefore they don’t recommend it. You can do what you want, the manual is correct. Your car will be fine if you don’t change it until the oil minder system tell you to, It’s up to you

Last edited by Glen e; 10-17-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
You have to watch time also if it's not a daily driver. I like to change mine once a year of though there's not many miles on it. I'm trying to drive mine more to get to 1500 miles by the one year mark. Got 700 so far.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Honestly I beat the ever living shit out of my car and had Chevy do all of my oil changes with that cheap Half Synthetic crap (although I'm now using Full Synthetic) every 5,000 miles and went up to 7,500 miles on one oil change (oil monitoring system said it wasnt due and I was taking a long road trip from Atlanta to San Francisco back to Los Angeles and to Atlanta again)... I'm nearing 30,000 miles and I have never had any problems.. you won't either.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
we just had it here Maintenance Schedule For New Car
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Leons032

Ok Ill check the thread. I drive pretty aggressive but haven't been on the track so I guess i'll follow the manual recommendations.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leons032 View Post
Hi All,

I am now going on 4k miles. I have heard of owners saying that they did their first oil change at 4k on a new car. They say because the engine is new and to avoid any loose shavings in the engine. The manual says:

"All 2004 and newer Chevrolet vehicles are equipped with the Engine Oil Life System. This system calculates engine oil life based on vehicle use, taking into account vehicle speed, climate and driving habits to let you know when it is time to change your Chevrolet’s engine oil. Vehicles equipped with this system will display a warning message when it is time to change the engine oil. When the Engine Oil Life System light comes on, have your Chevrolet’s engine oil changed as quickly as possible. The days of having to change your Chevrolet’s engine oil every 3,000 miles are over!"

Anyone have any input on this? Does it matter or should it be as the manual says?
I think you're only asking half of the question. The first half is the "when." Follow your manual and what the car tells you. So long as you do that, Chevy can't question you if a warranty claim comes up.
The second half of the question you need to be asking is "by who" and by that I mean by whom was the oil changed.
You can change your oil every 3k miles with the best oil made on God's green earth. But if it comes down to a warranty claim, and they (GM) haven't performed the oil changes...good luck having GM cover any claim. I'm speaking from experience.

Keep all maintenance records and develop a good rapport with your service dept.
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
I spoke to a service rep at my dealership about this very thing for my 17 V6 since I searched the manual and couldn’t find anything on break-in recommendations or break-in oil. He said no need to change out the oil early, and no need to baby the car for the first 1500 etc.

Seems like everyone has a differing opinion on the subjects, but the manual doesn’t say anything about an early first oil change either.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
But if it comes down to a warranty claim, and they (GM) haven't performed the oil changes...good luck having GM cover any claim. I'm speaking from experience.

Keep all maintenance records and develop a good rapport with your service dept.
It really is dealer dependant if you get hassled or not. My dealer -AutoNation in Fort Lauderdale -accepts my receipts for the oil change and it doesn’t affect warranty. Further it’s been proven in court if you have the receipts, GM cannot hassle you about it. But if a dealer wants to be a pain in the ass about it, you’re going to have to jump through hoops.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I spoke to a service rep at my dealership about this very thing for my 17 V6 since I searched the manual and couldn’t find anything on break-in recommendations or break-in oil.
:
Break in info is on page 200 of the 2016 manual......
Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Change the oil now, Chevy recommend you do it on the LT1 at 1500 miles. Not in the manual but the Service advisor here in Troy Mich says its best to do it then. Mine had 1800 miles but no biggie.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Honestly I beat the ever living shit out of my car and had Chevy do all of my oil changes with that cheap Half Synthetic crap (although I'm now using Full Synthetic) every 5,000 miles and went up to 7,500 miles on one oil change (oil monitoring system said it wasnt due and I was taking a long road trip from Atlanta to San Francisco back to Los Angeles and to Atlanta again)... I'm nearing 30,000 miles and I have never had any problems.. you won't either.

Few people if anyone will have issues with their cars at 30,000 miles due to any incorrect maintenance. In fact I'd almost bet your car would run perfectly normal at 30,000 miles if you NEVER changed the oil at that point.

That stuff shows up after 100,000 miles.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Used my first GM freebie at 500 miles. Just used 2nd one at 1500. Now that it's broken in I will do my regular schedule of once a year every fall before putting it away.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Leons032

Yeah im gonna take it in next week. I guess it doesn't hurt to be cautious.