Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quick Suspension Question

I want to lower my SS (no MRC) with the Eibach Pro-Kit. After the drop is an alignment all I need? I had one bad experience with lowering a car and never done it since. Any thoughts?
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
yes pretty much all you need !
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
yes pretty much all you need !
Thanks!! I have lowered 3 cars.. one was a disaster. A 2001 Lexus IS300.. did a H&R 2" drop. Could not keep it aligned for nothing. I was going through tires like crazy. I was told that I needed a camber kit but at the time one wasn't made for that car. Just don't want the head ache again!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
Thanks!! I have lowered 3 cars.. one was a disaster. A 2001 Lexus IS300.. did a H&R 2" drop. Could not keep it aligned for nothing. I was going through tires like crazy. I was told that I needed a camber kit but at the time one wasn't made for that car. Just don't want the head ache again!
Well that's your own ignorance. Anytime you drop a car two inches you run the risk of your camber being way off without any stock adjustability to fix it.

A general rule of thumb is 1 inch to 1.5 inches will be fine as far as getting your car within range of the alignment specs. Anything outside of that and you'll be eating tires up without a way to correct your camber.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Well that's your own ignorance. Anytime you drop a car two inches you run the risk of your camber being way off without any stock adjustability to fix it.

A general rule of thumb is 1 inch to 1.5 inches will be fine as far as getting your car within range of the alignment specs. Anything outside of that and you'll be eating tires up without a way to correct your camber.
I appreciate the advice, but that theory wasn't correct for my experience. I lowered 3 cars in the past. A 1999 Acura GS-R I believe those springs were Teins.. it was definitely 2"... Just an alignment and it was cool. Then I lowered a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT on Eibach Pro Kit 1". Same thing just an alignment. No issues there either. But after the Lexus I didn't lower my last 3 cars. Just wanted to make sure I will be cool with this modest drop on the SS.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
I appreciate the advice, but that theory wasn't correct for my experience. I lowered 3 cars in the past. A 1999 Acura GS-R I believe those springs were Teins.. it was definitely 2"... Just an alignment and it was cool. Then I lowered a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT on Eibach Pro Kit 1". Same thing just an alignment. No issues there either. But after the Lexus I didn't lower my last 3 cars. Just wanted to make sure I will be cool with this modest drop on the SS.
Every car has a different level of adjustment from the factory, some have none, like the 11-14 mustang. I can't give you a recommendation on your Rice burners but for a new gen camaro which is what you were asking about is...anything past 1.5 and you'll need camber plates to get your camber back to factory spec.

If I were you...I would spend a little more time learning about suspension before you lower your car. There are a lot of things to consider when goong this route.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
The GS-R has a Double Wishbone suspension whereas most cars use the MacPherson setup.

Oversimplified answer is that the Double Wishbone is able to control camber throughout it's range of travel which is why your GS-R was able to handle such a drop and also why everybody thinks they can do a 2" drop on any old car.

When dropping a MacPherson setup dramatically (2") you are basically making the rest of the components rest at a 2"-worth of travel downwards which is where they push the camber out...which is why your tires were dieing in that Lexus.

Start with this video, he has 3 others:
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Every car has a different level of adjustment from the factory, some have none, like the 11-14 mustang. I can't give you a recommendation on your Rice burners but for a new gen camaro which is what you were asking about is...anything past 1.5 and you'll need camber plates to get your camber back to factory spec.

If I were you...I would spend a little more time learning about suspension before you lower your car. There are a lot of things to consider when goong this route.
Thanks!!! You never stop learning!!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
The GS-R has a Double Wishbone suspension whereas most cars use the MacPherson setup.

Oversimplified answer is that the Double Wishbone is able to control camber throughout it's range of travel which is why your GS-R was able to handle such a drop and also why everybody thinks they can do a 2" drop on any old car.

When dropping a MacPherson setup dramatically (2") you are basically making the rest of the components rest at a 2"-worth of travel downwards which is where they push the camber out...which is why your tires were dieing in that Lexus.

Start with this video, he has 3 others:
Good stuff!! Really appreciate the help and advice!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
sonnydurden, thank you for asking this question. I am in the exact same boat. Had a 2002 Lexus IS300 which I purchased used and did not realize it was lowered. Tires were impossible to keep on the car. Luckily discount believed me everytime that the car was not lowered and let me keep the tire warranty.

I would like to lower my SS and I am glad to hear that we should only need to get an alignment done.

I am hoping the suspension install is something I can do in my garage and then drive to get an alignment.

Also, forgot originally. My first car was a Honda Del Sol which I lowered with Eibach springs. Slight issue with camber, but only had the car 1.25 years before trading.

Definitely glad to be in a car with the power and handling I had been yearning for in my teenage years.

Last edited by 17txcamaross; 02-15-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added Del Sol
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Springs are going to settle a bit. I would give it about 50 miles before you get an alignment.

Beyond that, if you have any issues keeping the alignment let me know. We have some parts that help keep the alignment in check for longer.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
Springs are going to settle a bit. I would give it about 50 miles before you get an alignment.

Beyond that, if you have any issues keeping the alignment let me know. We have some parts that help keep the alignment in check for longer.
BMR, would you say your springs maintain a "smooth" ride on non MRC equipped Camaro SS?

I am not really devoted to any one manufacturer at this time. Could you tell me any advantages of using BMR springs vs the competition?
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
sonnydurden, thank you for asking this question. I am in the exact same boat. Had a 2002 Lexus IS300 which I purchased used and did not realize it was lowered. Tires were impossible to keep on the car. Luckily discount believed me everytime that the car was not lowered and let me keep the tire warranty.

I would like to lower my SS and I am glad to hear that we should only need to get an alignment done.

I am hoping the suspension install is something I can do in my garage and then drive to get an alignment.

Also, forgot originally. My first car was a Honda Del Sol which I lowered with Eibach springs. Slight issue with camber, but only had the car 1.25 years before trading.

Definitely glad to be in a car with the power and handling I had been yearning for in my teenage years.
Well it looks like if we stay away from an aggressive drop, we will be fine with just an alignment.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
BMR, would you say your springs maintain a "smooth" ride on non MRC equipped Camaro SS?

I am not really devoted to any one manufacturer at this time. Could you tell me any advantages of using BMR springs vs the competition?
@BMR - Same question for me..