Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #99
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Don't want to derail your thread, but wanted to plant a bug.

Since you can machine these spacers, ever thought about trying to design/machine a base that would allow a roots SC? Seems us LLT guys are out of luck with the other attempt at roots. Plus it sat way too high off the motor.
I hadn't thought about it... Perhaps down the road as the machinery I have at my disposal (Waterjet) isn't really suited for something that like... That being said, I am looking for a good machining place in the area to make these Adaptolators out of one piece. For early prototypes, I can cut one piece w/ the LFX ports on the top, and hand port the LLT ports on the head side.

Hoping I can find a place to just machine it all in one shot from LLT ports to LFX ports on the bottom.

The idea now, is that this piece will replace the aluminum LFX lower section, therefore reducing the cost of this mod as you wouldn't have to buy all 3 pieces (upper intake, lower intake, and Adaptolator). In the end this mod will be about $300 cheaper by not having to buy the lower intake portion.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #100
Jason@JacFab

Machining problem (almost) solved... I bought a CNC Mill today. Just have to figure out how to work it, and buy tooling
Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #101
Jason@JacFab

I'm happy to report this project is still alive and kicking. KMPrenger has volunteered to test this LFX intake kit on his car. It will be slightly custom to fit his application (vararam cold air intake), so the lower LFX intake portion will have to be omitted for height reasons, and the adaptolator plate will be limited to 1/2" height instead of 1"... Not sure how it will fair out, but it will be interesting to hear his results and thoughts.

I am ordering the random GM parts today that he will need. I water jet cut a 1/2" thick adaptorlator plate yesterday from the popular phenolic material. I'll run it through the mill today. Once all the GM parts show up, I'll mail it all off to him. He should have everything in a couple weeks. Watch for more updates!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #102
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #103
slotwheels

Drives: like a bat out of hell
It is good to hear progress is still being made for the LLt motor.
slotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #104
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I'm happy to report this project is still alive and kicking. KMPrenger has volunteered to test this LFX intake kit on his car. It will be slightly custom to fit his application (vararam cold air intake), so the lower LFX intake portion will have to be omitted for height reasons, and the adaptolator plate will be limited to 1/2" height instead of 1"... Not sure how it will fair out, but it will be interesting to hear his results and thoughts.

I am ordering the random GM parts today that he will need. I water jet cut a 1/2" thick adaptorlator plate yesterday from the popular phenolic material. I'll run it through the mill today. Once all the GM parts show up, I'll mail it all off to him. He should have everything in a couple weeks. Watch for more updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Awesome!. I too have the Vararam intake, and if this improves power then I'd be interested in KMPrengers setup. Also KMPrenger, your riding on ZL1 springs? How'd that turn out?
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #105
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Awesome!. I too have the Vararam intake, and if this improves power then I'd be interested in KMPrengers setup. Also KMPrenger, your riding on ZL1 springs? How'd that turn out?
We aren't sure what to expect...and in fact it may not change much of anything since I'm currently running a ported LLT manifold, versus the LFX manifold, which I think flows at a slightly greater rate than the stock LLT manifold. But it is an experiment and we will see what differences, if any, that I notice.

After that, I may try a thicker adapter, and go with a coupler for the Vararam with a slight bend so that I can run the VR intake with a thick adapter plate and see if I notice any low end gains, but that may not happen for a good while. First things first.

As for the ZL1 springs....I really like them a lot. My springs are from a basically new (very lightly used) 2012 ZL1....I think. lol. I was looking for just a small drop and I loved the way the ZL1 stance is, so that's why I went with them. If you want a lower drop, then you will want different springs. The ZL1 springs are progressive rate, meaning the rate increases as they compress.

I was super worried the ride would get harsh and that's the reason I never did drop springs before, but to my surprise I could barely tell any difference in ride quality versus the stock springs. Maybe just SLIGHTLY stiffer feeling, but barely. Now I wish I had done it sooner. The change in handling is immediately noticeable...it turns sharper with more confidence. The only other difference I'd say I feel is that when you hit a bouncy spot in the road I think there is a bit more "bounce" in the ride than before, but it is rare.

Swapping out the springs wasn't hard. I'd recommend it. You'll want to get an alignment after any spring swap.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #106
nak3dsnake

Quote:
We aren't sure what to expect...and in fact it may not change much of anything since I'm currently running a ported LLT manifold, versus the LFX manifold, which I think flows at a slightly greater rate than the stock LLT manifold. But it is an experiment and we will see what differences, if any, that I notice.

After that, I may try a thicker adapter, and go with a coupler for the Vararam with a slight bend so that I can run the VR intake with a thick adapter plate and see if I notice any low end gains, but that may not happen for a good while. First things first.

As for the ZL1 springs....I really like them a lot. My springs are from a basically new (very lightly used) 2012 ZL1....I think. lol. I was looking for just a small drop and I loved the way the ZL1 stance is, so that's why I went with them. If you want a lower drop, then you will want different springs. The ZL1 springs are progressive rate, meaning the rate increases as they compress.

I was super worried the ride would get harsh and that's the reason I never did drop springs before, but to my surprise I could barely tell any difference in ride quality versus the stock springs. Maybe just SLIGHTLY stiffer feeling, but barely. Now I wish I had done it sooner. The change in handling is immediately noticeable...it turns sharper with more confidence. The only other difference I'd say I feel is that when you hit a bouncy spot in the road I think there is a bit more "bounce" in the ride than before, but it is rare.

Swapping out the springs wasn't hard. I'd recommend it. You'll want to get an alignment after any spring swap.
Ok, I had though about switching to ZL1 springs when I installed the 1LE package on my car but i wasn't sure how the ride was going to be as the spring rates were tuned to go with the mag shocks. So I just went with SS springs which the 1LE pack calls for. All I want is a slightly lower ride, I don't like the super low stance you get with most lowering springs.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #107
ThePopo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm in as well. I have a VR intake as well so add one to the list.
ThePopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #108
nak3dsnake

Any updates?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #109
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Any updates?
We had some delays and then I ran out time left to test this (I have other things I'm testing AND my wife and I just had our first baby) so I had to bow out of the testing for this one simply due to a lack of time to devote to this.

But its not dead as far as I know. I think Jason may do more testing locally.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #110
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
We had some delays and then I ran out time left to test this (I have other things I'm testing AND my wife and I just had our first baby) so I had to bow out of the testing for this one simply due to a lack of time to devote to this.

But its not dead as far as I know. I think Jason may do more testing locally.

Congratz on the baby!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #111
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Congrats! enjoy every second & take lots & lots of pics & don't stop taking them. They change so fast & grow up before you know it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #112
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Congrats on the baby Kevin.
Curious where this is going as far as development. If I didn't already have a few other projects going I would volunteer for some testing.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote