Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Rocksteady

Drives: -
2013 V6(LFX/Auto) & V8(L99/Auto) same city Mileage? cruise control experiment please!

I edited the following thread title to get maybe more precise numbers (after reading another V8 mpg thread with simply awesome good mpg).

What mpg do you V8 (l99, auto) and V6 (LFX, auto) owners get, if you put your car for an experiment (mpg reset) in a flat area without disturbing traffic in cruise conrol mode to:

a) 30mph
b) 80mph

plz note, if you have special mods / so that we can compare apples to apples

Thanks for any participation. jump to post 16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
original thread until post number 16:

Hello everyone.

This is my first post after reading many many very interesting and helpful posts on this forum.

I am planning to import a camaro to europe. As many of you maybe know we have quite a bit more harsh taxation on big engine cars, (silly) punititve tax on CO2 emmission and very high fuel prices (1l premium= 0.264 US gallons is about 2.14 USD).

So although buying a camaro is about fun foremost, i am still kind of interested to know what to expect mpg-wise and what the different real world options are. And I dont want to start a V6 vs. V8 argue. Just interested in the facts (See further down). I dont really trust the stickers. I know there are several threats on this forum about mpg which I all read but they are not really comparable or missing out the circumstances in which those values were reached. And what really confused me are some numbers that people bring up which would mean that the v8 - although a much bigger engine - gets the same mileage or even better at around 80mph and also in city traffic as the v6. Which really would surprise me!

And therefore you guys could help me really out:

I know both car will drink when handled with a lead foot but thats not my point.

1.) I would like to now what a v6 (LSX / Auto) and a v8 (L99 / Auto) camaro is to be expected in city (stop and go. not village driving) when they are driven "light footed" (means not lead footed, but not always looking on the mpg display either)?

2.) Additionally it would be great if you could also provide some infos on "light footed" numbers of a v6 (LSX / Auto) and a V8 (L99 / Auto) at 80mp/h (because thats about what hgwy speed is over here)?

And please make some remark if your cars are modded. So that we really compare apples to apples.

I thank you all already in advance for your appreciated efforts and help.

Grz

Last edited by Rocksteady; 09-26-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Rocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
no, they don't get the same milage. bear in mind, MPG stories on a MB are like fish stories, everyone typically exaggerates them. the difference isn't huge, maybe 5mpg's or so, but it's still there none the less.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would still use the sticker mpg as a guide....any variance would depend on the driver's habits, probably to the lower mpg side....city/village driving, who knows...probably no two sets of stop and go, sit and idle are the same anywhere...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksteady View Post
1.) I would like to now what a v6 (LSX / Auto) and a v8 (L99 / Auto) camaro is to be expected in city (stop and go. not village driving) when they are driven "light footed" (means not lead footed, but not always looking on the mpg display either)?

2.) Additionally it would be great if you could also provide some infos on "light footed" numbers of a v6 (LSX / Auto) and a V8 (L99 / Auto) at 80mp/h (because thats about what hgwy speed is over here)?
1) My L99 gets 15-16 MPG when driven strictly around town. This is when driven fairly light footed.

2) I drive highway every day back and forth to work 50 miles and I drive with cruise set on 80 MPH. I consistently get between 19.5-20 MPG. Just for fun I've tried the same route with cruise at 70 MPG and got 25 mpg.

I have a cai, headers, and a tune but I was getting these same numbers before when I was 100% stock.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
My in city mpg when driving heavy is averaging around 20, my mpg while highway driving is between 29-35 depending on speeds between 65-75
Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
wow...
In town I only get about 13 at best in my 2ss, L99
( 91 octane, TB,JRE tune,cia, res delete, 3" w/x pipe, and magnaflows, oh, I got 315/30/21's on vossens, may make car heavier..)
and of course, I drive it pretty hard...try not to, but that's nature.

on the freeway, at 70 -75, I can get 30 to 33, as long as I stay away from the mountains... at 65, its up to 35, BUT who can drive this kind of car at 65, or 70/75?
hell, everyone wants to dice with me on the freeway...Infinity, BMW, chally, mustang, lexus. . . so they all get a good dose of 'humility'. . . so in reality, I am lucky to get 22-25!
Attached Images

danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
These fuel mileage numbers are all over the place. My mods are:
Foose 20x8.5 and 20x10" wheels, each weighing 3#s less than stock,
Pfadt Tri-Y headers,
Pfadt high flow cats,
CAI cold air induction.

I don't live near a city, but my worst mileage was on the Mt Lemmon run, combination of interstate (80mph), city (Tucson 108°F) and 25 miles of twisting mountain road going from <3000ft to >8000ft). Odometer/gallons calculated at 19.8 mpg including g-force handling at selected spots. My home is about two hours drive to Tucson and is at 4400ft, so there were a couple of grades on the return.

Town, mountains, county and interstate roads calculate @22.9mpg, all Driving with the A/C on.

Last edited by SSeniorMoment; 09-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
wow...
In town I only get about 13 at best in my 2ss, L99
( 91 octane, TB,JRE tune,cia, res delete, 3" w/x pipe, and magnaflows, oh, I got 315/30/21's on vossens, may make car heavier..)
and of course, I drive it pretty hard...try not to, but that's nature.

on the freeway, at 70 -75, I can get 30 to 33, as long as I stay away from the mountains... at 65, its up to 35, BUT who can drive this kind of car at 65, or 70/75?
hell, everyone wants to dice with me on the freeway...Infinity, BMW, chally, mustang, lexus. . . so they all get a good dose of 'humility'. . . so in reality, I am lucky to get 22-25!
No disrespect intended but 33 mpg at 70-75 mph. Got to throw a flag on that one. Maybe going downhill.

Again, no flame intended. I have a 2010 2SSRS L99 and stock it got 23-24 mph at best on the highway at 70-75 mph. In town, 17-18 depending on how I drive. That was with factory tune.

With All the normal bolt ons and a good engine and trans tube from JRE, my milage on the highway was at 22-23 mph WITHOUT AFM. About same in town.

Now with SC and gears and everything else, I am getting 20-21 mpg on the highway and 13-14 in town ( I do drive it a bit harder now!!!).

These numbers are not from looking at the on board fuel milage calculator, these are from figuring the miles per gallon of fuel burns on multipul fillups and running the math the correct way.

Anyway, just have a hard time believing your 33 mpg at 70-75 mph claims.

I set my cruise control at 65 mph all the time. Keeps the cops off your ass at those speed traps and the nice thing is that this Camaro looks just as cool cruising at 65 as it does at 80 mph!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Rocksteady

thank you all already for the so far provided answers and the participation. hope to see some more.

may I politely ask for further numbers to only post if they meet the asked 2 questions (actual lightfooted real city mpg AND lightfooted 80mph mpg, both for auto v6 and auto v8 camaros) to also help others who might are interested in that topic and to not replicate other older and more general threads.

Thank you all in advance

Last edited by Rocksteady; 09-23-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Going to get all kinds of numbers on this one.

Rocksteady, I recommend you use the advertised mileage as a guide and go from there, b/c if you listen to everyone here you are going to get lots of different information that will likely confuse you even more.

Again, just use the sticker numbers as your guide and then ask yourself what you can afford.

That said, if your curious in my V6, I can get 27 - 30mpg on the highway, and 18 - 20 in the city (less if it is constant stop and go driving). My overall average is around 23mpg.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Rocksteady

I know what you mean member 90503. But thats why I tried to come up with some additional "standardized" questions.. maybe there will be "valid" results.

my problem with the sticker is that at least in europe they are most of the time completely off (read: to good numbers). And I also took a look at the EPA test scheme for city ( http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/uddsdds.gif ) and for highway (http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/hwfetdds.gif ). For one I find the speeds in city area for a stop and go simulation a bit high. But thats just me. Then, again just my opinion, the highway test seems to have a bit a low speed average to represent actual highway and interstate driving. Thats why I thought it would be interesting to make a higher speed compare too. But then again, I am no "test creation professional" :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Stock I was getting 15ish
After headers, exhaust, intake and tune 16-17 city
After Cam about 13-14.

Highway - I cannot imagine im getting more than 19-20.

The tune did wonders if I would've just stopped there lol

I don't generally drive like a bat out of hell only because of congestion, but when I get an open strip I do let it loose and the highway I do 70-85.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Rocksteady

Thanks for the advice kmprenger.

Well, was just a bit shocked about all those very good numbers you guys with the SS reached. Which questioned the sticker quite a bit. I then went out and tested an euro-camaro at my place (eq. to 2ss trim) and was astonished to reach for the shorttest with "normal" driving in the city stop and go 17,4mpg easily (on a brand new car, no engine break in, and only about 13miles drive, so engine should not even be really warmed up). At least thats what the computer said. So badly there is no 2lt to countertest...

But I drove a 1LT rental last Fall for 6500miles within 35 days in the states (started in Seattle, then all down on hgwy 101 and 1 along the water, with a few incountry slopes, lake tahoe etc. all down to san diego, and from there via vegas to grand canyon, bryce parc, a few other parcs back to SF and down to LA again. short story mode :-) well, although there was a lot of hgwy driving and a load of cruise control too I only reached 21,6mpg average for that trip. Then again it s a too long distance trip to compare it to my above mentioned eurocamaro test). So somehow it just didnt add up for me. 2SS seems to run to good to be true on fuel :-) But as it seems difficult to make comparable settings for both the cars I have to use the sticker numbers for yearly costs estimates then as you sugest.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Wife with light foot gets 27-28 highway / city combined . I get 19mp combined sometimes less, . My suggestion to you would be a V6 since you are already wondering about gas mileage. Still a blast to drive with plenty of power and the gas mileage to boot . That or a C7
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote