Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #29
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
ANYthing is a guess right now. I just do not think that GM will put the LT4 in a Z/28 or ANY OTHER CAMARO model.

So, IF that is correct (and of course, THAT is a guess) then one of two things are possible.

1. The spy shots are of a ZL1-R WITH the LT4.
2. The spy shots are of a Z/28 WITHOUT the LT4.

I have watched the purported spy 6th Gen Z/28 vids and have never heard the semblance of any kind of supercharger whine so my money is that IF this is the next Z/28 it is NOT an FI car.

But alas, this is just a guess too... it is fun to speculate.
Agreed!! However I think a lot of guessing is based on people being emotional about a "pure" Z/28 that can't be FI.

Wicked Z you just picked up. Love it.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Might have to drop that in my CJ!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #31
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Agreed!! However I think a lot of guessing is based on people being emotional about a "pure" Z/28 that can't be FI.

Wicked Z you just picked up. Love it.
After watching the Z06, I can see why so many people wouldn't want an LT4 Z/28.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #32
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hmmmm, if this is the next engine for the Z/28, I'm wondering if it will have an issue beating the ZL1's time at nurburgring or anywhere for that matter.

This Z/28 would only gain 30hp over the old, while the new ZL1 gained 70hp over the old. Obviously the ZL1 is going to be heavier but it also (apparently) has a bigger increase in power.

If nothing else, I would expect the difference in lap times between the new Z's to be much less that the difference in lap times of the old Z's.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Hmmmm, if this is the next engine for the Z/28, I'm wondering if it will have an issue beating the ZL1's time at nurburgring.

This Z/28 would only gain 30hp over the old, while the new ZL1 gained 70hp over the old. Obviously the ZL1 is going to be heavier but it also (apparently) has a bigger increase in power.

If nothing else, I would expect the difference in lap times between the new Z's to be much less that the difference in lap times of the old Z's.
The new Z/28 will have substantially more aero and grip with the wing, canards and much larger tires. The ZL1 will likely be faster on long straights and the Z/28 will be faster in the turns, just like the 5th gen versions.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #34
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The new Z/28 will have substantially more aero and grip with the wing, canards and much larger tires. The ZL1 will likely be faster on long straights and the Z/28 will be faster in the turns, just like the 5th gen versions.
In the side by side video, you could see the 5Gen Z/28 carried more speed through most corners than the 6Gen ZL1. There is still a lot of speed to be found. Aero, lightweight, Trofeos...
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #35
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
In the side by side video, you could see the 5Gen Z/28 carried more speed through most corners than the 6Gen ZL1. There is still a lot of speed to be found. Aero, lightweight, Trofeos...
Yeah, I thought that was very impressive.

I'm interested in if going to a wing decreases or increases drag over the spoiler. If they can get the needed down force without increasing drag very much, it might not lose too much speed on the straight sections.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #36
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:

I'm interested in if going to a wing decreases or increases drag over the spoiler. If they can get the needed down force without increasing drag very much, it might not lose too much speed on the straight sections.

Wing is less drag than the wicker bill style while making as much or more downforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Since you asked that in the Houze a little while ago, I looked into it a bit. Seems that generally speaking, a wing is a bit more efficient at converting drag into downforce. So you will tend to get more downforce for the same drag count, or less drag for the same downforce (or a little bit of both).

But at ~180ish mph, going from a 0.36 drag coefficient to a 0.38 (a wild guess on what the difference in drag count would be between a wing and a spoiler), it only gets you a little more than about 3 mph added to your top speed. I am not in the mood to calculate how much faster it would get to that top speed though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #38
Bhobbs

I figured it wasn't a huge difference but there is enough for GM to be going that way with both the Z/28 and big wing Corvette.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #39
Ghost7997

Drives: 2014 Ultimate Track SS "Weapon-X"
Very intriguing. This should be very interesting.

Ghost7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #40
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
So, I think I know that in the case of the LS7 for instance, this engine was a bit lighter than say the LSA (SC'd) and then also the LS9, which made for better balance.

I also think I understand that for the road course enthusiast that NA is the preferred induction method, is that really just because of heat soak?

If so, and the Z/28 with an LT4 and all the cooling engineered into it, does not have that issue like the Z06 (and by all accounts so far the ZL1 does not - i guess time will tell), but the Z/28 does get all the other upgrades for being a "track beast", better suspension, aero, tires, weight reductions and balance enhancements...would this be enough in your opinions to be worthy of the Z/28 plate?
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #41
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
So, I think I know that in the case of the LS7 for instance, this engine was a bit lighter than say the LSA (SC'd) and then also the LS9, which made for better balance.

I also think I understand that for the road course enthusiast that NA is the preferred induction method, is that really just because of heat soak?

If so, and the Z/28 with an LT4 and all the cooling engineered into it, does not have that issue like the Z06 (and by all accounts so far the ZL1 does not - i guess time will tell), but the Z/28 does get all the other upgrades for being a "track beast", better suspension, aero, tires, weight reductions and balance enhancements...would this be enough in your opinions to be worthy of the Z/28 plate?
Would be for me if all the cooling actually works to keep it cool lap after lap. Compressing air makes heat. Thats a fact.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #42
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

I'm sure the increased weight is also an issue. It's higher on the engine and at the front of car. If you decrease the overall weight of the car, that will magnify the extra weight of the engine as well.

As for the rest, I guess that is for Al O and the team to decide. Whatever they build, I'm sure it will be an excellent performer. I would just prefer it to be n/a, even though I will likely never be able to afford one.