Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #29
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
The stock fluid was what I'm refering to. Assumed it was synchromesh but thanks for correcting me on that.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #30
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Yea, the TR6060 came from factory with Texaco ATF Type III 1863.

Some time back, I did the research, and I remember that it was slightly thicker than D4 at 40*C and slightly thinner at 100*C. I can't find the exact #s now though . . .
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #31
Camarotobeornottobe

So, I drove mine for the first time since early November.

Drove in 30* weather, came out of a 53* garage. Obviously, I didn't flog it, but the D4/MTL mix was flawfless with the cold tranny.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #32
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
I changed to the straight D4 last year. Worked much better in the cold than the GM factory fill. That being said, in warmer weather it's not as good as the factory fill to me. I'm going to drain and do 50/50 here in a month or so and see how it performs over the summer.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #33
Camarotobeornottobe

Hmmmmm. I can't say that I thought the D4 was worse that the OEM Texaco stuff when hot. In fact, I would say the D4 was a little better hot or cold. I thought both thinned out considerably and resulted in increased noise when really hot.

But the MTL was the trick for more noise reduction and smoothness. I might even go to a 100% MTL change later this summer. Just depends on whether I feel like spending the $50 . . .
Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #34
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
Hmmmmm. I can't say that I thought the D4 was worse that the OEM Texaco stuff when hot. In fact, I would say the D4 was a little better hot or cold. I thought both thinned out considerably and resulted in increased noise when really hot.

But the MTL was the trick for more noise reduction and smoothness. I might even go to a 100% MTL change later this summer. Just depends on whether I feel like spending the $50 . . .
Camarotobeornottobe, give me until the week of April 20th to add MTL in mine(now it's D4 as you may recall), and give my review.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #35
White_SS/RS

Switched from Redline D4 to 100% MTL. I like it much better. Shifts feel the same wether the fluid is 40* or 190*. Biggest differences I noticed was the tranny was quieter,, in operation and shifting and it feels like the synchro engagement is much smoother. A definate recomend for anyone tracking their car.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #36
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
I recently changed from factory fill to Amsoil Signature Series ATF which is a Type III replacement. I noticed the biggest difference when the tranny is cold. It shifts much smoother and easier when cold. When hot i didn't notice a big difference but still felt smoother. Now i don't track mine (was i could though) but from what ive read is manufactures test engines and trannys at operating temperature. So if to me i would try and findout what that operating temp is and what viscosity they recommend at that temp and get as close to that as possible. If your tracking and consistently run over that temp then i would find a oil that has the same viscosity that normal operating temp requires at those higher temps which is normally a thicker oil. So theoretically you would have normal wear when tracking but would give up protection and drivablity at low temps as that oil would be to thick. Just my .02
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #37
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Camarotobeornottobe, give me until the week of April 20th to add MTL in mine(now it's D4 as you may recall), and give my review.
I'm 1 week behind schedule with this cam install due to weather, so looking at first week of May for the D4 to MTL switchover.

I'm going to go something like 30% D4/70% MTL , since their might be a night or two at the very most, where Sledge might get left outside on a cooler than usual night, just long enough to impact "cold weather shifting" criteria.

Over the course of the next decade, I want the minimum amount of accumulated wear to occur during that span of time. My gut feeling tells me to experiment with that ratio for ultimate protection, considering how I intend to use this car. I can't wait to try this.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #38
Camarotobeornottobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Switched from Redline D4 to 100% MTL. I like it much better. Shifts feel the same wether the fluid is 40* or 190*. Biggest differences I noticed was the tranny was quieter,, in operation and shifting and it feels like the synchro engagement is much smoother. A definate recomend for anyone tracking their car.
Nice. Makes me tempted to go ahead and switch out to 100% from the 50%. Maybe next oil change . . . .
Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #39
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Nice. Makes me tempted to go ahead and switch out to 100% from the 50%. Maybe next oil change . . . .
It will be interesting to see how it performs when the weather starts getting colder again.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #40
Camarotobeornottobe

Even during the summer, I would appreciate hearing the occasional update on whether you continue to think it an improvement, particularly after some miles and some high heat.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #41
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Even during the summer, I would appreciate hearing the occasional update on whether you continue to think it an improvement, particularly after some miles and some high heat.
Sounds good, I'll update periodically.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #42
Camarotobeornottobe

Camaro Dude and/or Blakjak -- you ever make the MTL switch? Curious to your thoughts?